Muster Drill

terrymtex01

Sad that it takes a tragedy to open our eyes, but my guess that there will be quite a bit more disaster training given, on a lighter note, I have always wanted to sail with Terry and Doug, Yourpost are always so upbeat. I saw you are going to be on the Spirit, me too. Except I will be sailing a few weeks previous to you. Enjoy.

I have been on 2 NCL cruises both were on the Sky. I am currently booked to go on the Sky April 30, 2012. The Muster Drill is required before we pull out of port. We are all called to our designated stations, required to put on our life vest to make sure we know how to use them, and they do role call. I think if everyone would follow that Muster Drill in the event of an emergency and not panic, it would go a lot smoother. People have to realize the more tha panic, the worse it will be.

I have only been on 2 cruises..........RCI & Princess........I found the RCI muster drill made more sense....we did have to go to our stations but we did not have to wear our life jackets and they did a roll call .......On Princess, we met in a lounge.......& had to put on jackets in lounge but there was no roll call........I would have been more comfortable actually meeting at muster stations....and think all should do this. There were many on Princess that just stayed in their cabins & didn't do the muster drill........they just hide in the bathrooms...crazy...but they have been on so many cruises...they don't feel they need to do the drill. A roll call would have eliminated this.......

I don't know how NCL does the drill........will find out in Nov. Going on the sun!

woohoo!!:)

Also,,,RCI did it prior to our sailing while Princess didn't do it till 30 minutes into our sailing.

I've been on enough Princess cruises that I could probably give the spiel myself. They say that they have you meet "in a place of safety, away from the elements." And they also emphasize that having to go to your muster station IS NOT the order to abandon ship.

Take the Star Princess fire for instance. The people were sent to the muster stations in lounges, the theater, etc. and waited there for further instructions. As I understand it, they were there for HOURS. Not in total comfort, but certainly not standing out on the Promenade Deck wearing life jackets. There was no order to abandon ship since the crew and others did manage to put the fire out. Can you imagine the confusion and yes, probably panic, for those whose muster stations were on the side of the ship where the fire was? In that incident, gathering people together inside was in their best interest, I believe. I don't know, however, how it would turn out if the order to abandon ship were given. I'm terribly afraid it would be a mad rush to the lifeboats very similar to the Concordia.

• 3 years later...
Good Post! You are correct about USCG rules and SOLA.

I think the main reason we no longer meet at the life boats is due to the larger size of the ships and the lack of room on the deck at the muster stations

Maybe we could just watch a safety video (like below).:D

Condor Ferries safety video

Old thread, resurrected. On NCL now we have met inside recently and don't go outside. Same on Princess. There are exceptions, though. We've been on both lines recently and did have to meet outside on one of them, but don't remember which.

Both take attendance now.