so this might be a strange question, but its been buggin me all day, lol

weezyreid

I was wondering, and i guess i just assumed that cruise ships would have like super, special, very expensive (lol) sonar detectors...to keep them from hitting ground....anyone know if carnivals boats have this..i was gonna ask john heald but decided not to cause i didnt want him thinking i was like questioning carnivals saftey...which i am not...i just kinda assumed they would have this, to prevent the accident that just happened in italy

I was wondering, and i guess i just assumed that cruise ships would have like super, special, very expensive (lol) sonar detectors...to keep them from hitting ground....anyone know if carnivals boats have this..i was gonna ask john heald but decided not to cause i didnt want him thinking i was like questioning carnivals saftey...which i am not...i just kinda assumed they would have this, to prevent the accident that just happened in italy

I did a bridge tour on the NCL Star last month and they said the average fishing boat has better sonar than a cruise ship. He said it was something they didn't really need.

Yes, they do. We've taken the Behind the Fun tour twice on 2 different ships and the sonar was mentioned when on the bridge with the captain, not sure how much or when they use it.

There's a whole big satellite whirly thing on the ship around the vicinity of the bridge. Maybe it's a windmill type thing? But I'm sure it has something to do with navigation. A guy was driving the ship and didn't want to ask directions, that's all.

I cant believe they are admitting guilt.

see i feel like they are not takin the blame, but placing it on the captain, and maybe they are right, but its a bit early to throw it all on him!!!

i hope he isnt used as an escape goat, which does happen alot!!

They certainly do and they have state of the art navigational aids... all of which rely on electricity. There are reports that there was an explosion in the engine room or the engine control room prior to the collision. If the systems failed (as they can... including the backups...) they would find themselves back in Columbus' day. No bottom reading sonar, no GPS or LORAN (if they still have that on board...) and little to no communication.

When the Splendor had her huge issue they were well out to sea with few to no options other than sit there. The Concordia, it seems, had at least limited power but directional control may have been compromised.

There are reports that there was an explosion in the engine room or the engine control room prior to the collision.

Well there wasn't so stop saying it and trying to connect this to the Splendor.

JH, would kick your butt for spreading this nonsense.

Will be interested to see what happened but would be shocked if they had same problem as Splendor.

Actually I wouldnt be surprised @ all.

If the Splendor and Concordia are sister ships than i think that is a possiblity. Maybe some electrical engineering design flaw:eek:

As well trained as the captain is I would be shocked if he just screwed up. I guess its entirely possible. Ignoring a known charted route is just insane.

I would hope they would have some kind of depth finding equipment onboard, I had a nice one on my pontoon boat, kept me from ruining a couple propellers. :eek:

I hate the way the news is rushing to judgment on this whole thing. It would be very unfortunate if the same situation happened as it did on the Splendor.

Some passenger reports had the power failure occurring before the listing began. Until they get data acquired from the bridge recorders, it's all speculation. For what it's worth, the Captain is responsible until proven otherwise.

I too read that there was an electrical problem prior to the grounding. If so the navigational equipment might have been compromised. No point placing blame and speculating about who did what wrong until they get the info from the black box and know exactly what the sequence of events was.

I too read that there was an electrical problem prior to the grounding. If so the navigational equipment might have been compromised. No point placing blame and speculating about who did what wrong until they get the info from the black box and know exactly what the sequence of events was.

Then why didn't the Captain say that instead of they hit a reef not on a chart? Certainly not to protect a company that just through him under a bus.

Yes there was a big bang just before the power failed. Did you see the size of the rock stuck in the hull???

Time to climb down off the grassy knoll people.

Then why didn't the Captain say that instead of they hit a reef not on a chart? Certainly not to protect a company that just through him under a bus.

Yes there was a big bang just before the power failed. Did you see the size of the rock stuck in the hull???

Time to climb down off the grassy knoll people.

Most times I have to admit that your posts just annoy the hell out of me, but I have to give you a standing O on this thread!! ;)

Time to climb down off the grassy knoll people.[/QUO

Amen.

Makes me wonder what kind of compensation they will give the surviving passengers? And how many of them will actually want to ever take another cruise again. For some reason, I don't think OBC is going to cut it this go around.

From the information that was released so far from the investigation and also the Costa press release it seems that the cause of the accident was human error and nothing to do with a power outage. It seems from the track the ship was taking the Captain decided to take the ship by Giglio. However, he made a mistake and took it to close to land and hit the reef.

After hitting the reef is when water was introduced into the power system causing a black out. From the passenger account they have all said they heard a loud bang and then the light when off. The loud bang was when the ship first struck the reef.

This accident doesn't have anything to do with what happened on Splendor and anyone who is thinking it does is making a bad connection. It will be proved that there wasn't any power failure before the ship struck the reef.

Well there wasn't so stop saying it and trying to connect this to the Splendor.

JH, would kick your butt for spreading this nonsense.

I did just in the last couple of hours see a report that said there "may have" been an equipment failure.

This being said, I think the captain would have said something about it when he was interviewed on TV.

Archived