Scenery driving vs. train Anchorage to Seward?

JJPacer

Is there a difference in the scenery between Anchorage and Seward if we drive or take the train? I see on the map that the road and train take different routes. I was wondering if we would miss some of the beautiful scenery if we drove vs. taking the train. Thanks for your help.

"Honey, can you find a place to turn around so I can get a picture of those Dall Sheep that we just passed by the side of the road?"

"Conductor, can you please ask the engineer to turn the train around so I can get a picture of the Dall Sheep we just passed?"

Gardyloo, certainly makes the point. I have driven that route many times and have enjoyed pulling off into a viewing area to see animals and scenery. Also there are nice places to eat along the way.

For several people, renting a car and driving can save money as well.

Overall, the train is far superior for scenery. Wildlife isn't that common, close up. You can frequently see dall sheep way up the hills, but many people miss them anyway, with both transits.

Which ever one you choose you are missing the other- pick one.

Actually, The mountains of the northern Kenai Peninsula have several parallel valleys. The road to Seward runs in one of them and the railroad runs in the next valley over. As for scenery, The railroad has it over the road. First, because the railroad has no need for rest stops/towns and, therefore, the route is cleaner. On the other hand, if you like looking at obscure little towns and quaint shops, the road is the better choice.

One other problem with the road. As someone who has driven that road more times than I can remember, the driver tends to spend most of his or her time paying attention to the road and often misses the beauty of the road.

Finally, there are many places on the road where the speed limit is 65 mph and there are man drivers who are more interested in getting to/from their favorite fishing spot then in seeing another sheep. SO the highway can be a stressful experience for the driver, IMHO.

Actually, The mountains of the northern Kenai Peninsula have several parallel valleys. The road to Seward runs in one of them and the railroad runs in the next valley over. As for scenery, The railroad has it over the road. First, because the railroad has no need for rest stops/towns and, therefore, the route is cleaner. On the other hand, if you like looking at obscure little towns and quaint shops, the road is the better choice.

One other problem with the road. As someone who has driven that road more times than I can remember, the driver tends to spend most of his or her time paying attention to the road and often misses the beauty of the road.

Finally, there are many places on the road where the speed limit is 65 mph and there are man drivers who are more interested in getting to/from their favorite fishing spot then in seeing another sheep. SO the highway can be a stressful experience for the driver, IMHO.

I'll second that! In the summer, the Seward highway can be a real "adventure". I much prefer the train in the summer. I know if they see wildlife like the dall sheep along Turnagain Arm, they often slow down so people can take pictures. It's very relaxing and the scenery through the Spencer Glacier area is among the best on the rail route.

The highway between Anchorage and Girdwood is renown for serious accidents. For a state known for its laid-back relaxed residents, a number of people drive very aggressively in that area. We drove down from Fairbanks last summer to spend some time in Seward and Homer, and experienced several aggressive tailgaters both going and returning. And when they have an accident on that section of road, it can be closed for a bit. While the drive is scenic I would recommend the train in the summer.

If you have a car and will be spending at least one full day in Anchorage, then drive down to Portage (about an hour) and then go back to town, then take the train to Seward if you're joining a cruise there. That will probably be cheaper than a one-way hire to Seward anyway.

The Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm is one of the most beautiful roads in the US. Yes, it can be trafficky and it does require that you watch the road (and exactly which roads don't require that?) but it's very scenic and rewarding as both a driver and a passenger.

The overall scenery is better on the train. When driving, once you enter the Kenai Peninsula there isn’t much scenery and as AKman noted the train goes through a valley to the east of the highway which is more scenic. I still prefer to drive as there is usually something along the way to stop for that you can’t do on the train. It’s also very nice to have a car in Seward. What you will miss on the train is: Girdwood/Alyeska and the tram, Portage Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center along with numerous pullouts to enjoy the view. Either way you may see beluga whales and the occasional bore tide.

Archived