Let's Talk Intelligently About This!

frednsb

First off , the capsizing of the Concordia was a terrible, terrible event with loss of human life!

But, all you niegh-sayers just love to post out of gut reaction. Why not sail again? Why not sail on the Concordia? What's with "Carnival better do right"!

This has been the first such accident of its kind with the loss of human life in oh, how long?

We drive cars: hundreds of accidents everyday! We fly planes: hundreds of crashes every year! Is there any such safer transportation or vacation than a cruise ship???

Get real folks! My heart goes out to the people who died and their families. . . and to the passengers and crew, and even the Captain!

But really, not cruising again because of this?

Well at it's time the Titanic was a mega ship, yeah not a lot of balconies, just a seperate,desperate class of people locked in the bottom of the ship....

The Edmund Fitzgerald-just saw Gordon Lighfoot perform this past week end, yes he did this song, but the better song is the Yarmouth Castle, and her captain left the ship before the passangers did. It was the people of the Bahamas that saved that bunch.

My family and I are sailing on the Conquest in 34 days. I'm not scared and I'm not concerned that our ship will sink. I have never sailed on Carnival but I feel safe & confident that the Captain & his crew will keep us safe.

My family and I are sailing on the Conquest in 34 days. I'm not scared and I'm not concerned that our ship will sink. I have never sailed on Carnival but I feel safe & confident that the Captain & his crew will keep us safe.

I don't think it's about the captain and crew keeping you safe. The captain, in this situation, did something he shouldn't have done.

If anything...captains in the near future will not try to "pull off stunts" and passengers will be safer.

It's not like there was a ship malfunction.....or the crew screwed up the engine....or there was a rogue wave....or a storm etc........

I agree Fred!

As tragic as this was, it will not stop me. You cannot live your life in fear. Hundreds of people die every day in car crashes in this country, but we all drive each day. People perish in plane crashes also. If it is your time, it is your time.

I am not afraid to cruise again, but it did make me think, and think about the passengers, and what they went through.

Made up my mind to pay attention more to the muster drill, also to take a flashlight and a whistle with me.

The people who are scared to cruise can't help feeling that way, I am sure they didn't choose to.

If they can plan for a what-if, they will feel more in control.

I am going on my 11th cruise pretty soon, and am looking forward to it as always.

Melanie

There's alot more planes and cars carrying more people than cruise ships. The numbers (of passengers) probably aren't close. How many ships do the big three companies have combined? Does it even get to 100?

Not saying it's unsafe, because hey, it isn't the boats fault some idiot captain decides to show off for a podunk island, it's just the stats are kind of a fallacy. There really shouldn't be that many significant cruise ship incidents, there aren't that many of them.

Going on one in 14 days...booked it while I was watching coverage of this terrible incident. I work for an airline and can't believe how many people tell me how they don't want to fly after 9/11 but don't have a choice. I can't imagine living my life that way...always worried about what might happen.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

...But, all you niegh-sayers just love to post out of gut reaction. Why not sail again? Why not sail on the Concordia?...

We will cruise again but it won't be on this class of ships - it is 2 for 2 in pretty bad cruise experiences with this horrible event and the Splendor Fire.

Will stick with ship classes, regardless of lines, that have a less checkered past.

In 2011 some 19 million people cruised. The number killed or injured is beyond tiny. However, what was significant about this accident is that it was human caused- a cowboy captain from what we are hearing- who has done the same thing, cruise way too close to shore, on other occassions. I think it should make us all sit up and take serious notice.

How many times have we read on CC from people who hid out so as to skip muster. Am I afraid to cruise? No. Still very safe. But I will take closer notice of where the exits are, where my station is, and will probably begin to carry a small flashlight.

PS- Plane crashes in 2011- 42. Not hundreds and hundreds.

My first car was a '74 Pinto - the blow up model. Had her fixed on the recall and then put another 100k miles on her. Truthfully, it was one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. Now I do realize that others with this model had nothing but problems with theirs, but mine was great. I also knew a couple that got rid of theirs and went with a different make of car just to be "better safe than sorry."

Same thing when it comes to vacations and travelling. I think that there will be some that follow the quoted saying above and choose different vacations as well. That is their choice. Others who tried cruising won't go again because in their views - they had nothing but problems with it. But for me, cruising is a great vacation and I choose to continue doing so.

We will cruise again but it won't be on this class of ships - it is 2 for 2 in pretty bad cruise experiences with this horrible event and the Splendor Fire.

Will stick with ship classes, regardless of lines, that have a less checkered past.

I am on Splendor in a little over 2 months with my children. I am not concerned about any faults or 'curses' with the class.

What I will do is make sure the kids pay attention to the safety briefing just in case and have a plan - and most importantly - have fun.

all of this has made me better understand this...The Captain and crew will not rush to pax aid.

I never really expected them to anyway...but this whole scenario takes the cake!

Don't rush to judgement, while the captain may have left, the crew stayed behind and worked their butts off to get as many passengers off the vessel as possible given the circumstances. They evacuated 4,000 people in under 2 hours with a heavy list, so don't blame the crew.

Archived