Repositioning Cruises?

heidik

If you are looking for a European cruise and would be happy if you only had to fly one way then repos are the way to go.

We have done it both ways--both in the spring, sailing to Europe and then staying aboard for the first cruise of the season over there, and then in August, flying to Europe, taking a cruise and staying aboard for the repo back to North America.

We ususally book these cruises as back to back when they are first introduced, and then when HAL offers them as a collector's cruise, we have them combined into one cruise as there are savings to be had there. In the meantime we have secured our cabin and dining times early. Our TA has always been able to keep the same cabin for us when she does that.

We did the same thing for our upcoming November 14 day cruise on the on the NA-----not a repo but we booked it as two 7 day cruises to get our cabin and dining time. A few months later I saw it offered as a 14 day cruise and our TA was able to save us around $500 by combining the two, while saving our cabin and dining time.

No, there isn't. I agree with FLACRUISER99, use a different website. Many online travel agencies have great search engines and won't limit you to one cruise line. I like Holland America, but I wouldn't pass up a nice itinerary or price on another line.

We did a repositioning cruise on Eurodam in 2010, Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, flew back via Iberia from Rome, changed in Madrid to Miami and then Hartford. Fantistic time and a huge bargain for what we got. Of note, this was at the time of the Iceland volcano explosion that caused so many problems with European air travel, and while our flights weren't affected, we witnessed HAL being wonderfully helpful and accomodating with passangers who needed to make flight changes, including free Internet access. We look forward to another repo cruise, though the next time we will probably fly first and sail home.

One way, I would look is to look at Spring and Fall Cruises through the Panama Canal. When you see ships like the Westerdam and the Zuiderdam and Amsterdam going all the way through the Canal and to Vacvouver from Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa, you know you are dealing with a relocation cruise. I did you years ago from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver and I enjoyed it very much.

Archived