LA Hollywood Hotel Post Carnival Cruise

lenorjen

Hi there...I am coming to the US from Australia ...second visit....I have our pre-cruise hotel sorted ...but we are going to spend 3 days after our Carnival cruise in Hollywood or closeby....would like to know recommendations...been looking at Renaiissance Highlander...but would love some more feedback as I have no idea..I prefer 4 or 5*.....hope you can help..

Cheers Jenny

Hi there...I am coming to the US from Australia ...second visit....I have our pre-cruise hotel sorted ...but we are going to spend 3 days after our Carnival cruise in Hollywood or closeby....would like to know recommendations...been looking at Renaiissance Highlander...but would love some more feedback as I have no idea..I prefer 4 or 5*.....hope you can help..

Cheers Jenny

Hi, Jenny...

It's actually the "Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland"...

IMHO, it is the best hotel in Hollywood proper...

It is fairly new, first class and in the best location in Hollywood...

It is part of the "Hollywood and Highland" (located at the Northwest corner of Hollywood and Highland, the busiest intersection in Hollywood) complex which has many shops and restaurants and incorporates the Kodak Theater and the historic Grauman's Chinese Theater...The Walk of Fame (the stars in the sidewalk) passes right in front of the complex along Hollywood Blvd. The Hollywood sign is visble from the complex. Other area attractions are nearby and most tours, including the HOHO bus pick up right there...

I usually don't recommend staying in Hollywood as a first choice...Most of it is a little run down and can be a bit "scuzzy"...There are a wide range of strange characters roaming the streets...But, if most of your agenda of what you want to do in LA is in the area, it makes sense...But, when staying in Hollywood, the Renaissance would be my clear first choice...

http://renaissancehollywood.com/

http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/

The other top hotel in Hollywood proper would be the old, stately Roosevelt--somewhat a relic of a bygone age...Very different from the Renaissance...

http://www.thompsonhotels.com/hotels/la/hollywood-roosevelt

For those on more of a budget, there are a couple of smaller hotels just to the northwest of the Hollywood and Highland complex and also a hotel at the famed "Magic Castle", but those may not fit your "4 or 5 star" preferences...

http://magiccastlehotel.com/

The other recommendations in the Hollywood area really put you away from the center of Hollywood...

In Universal City, to the north of Hollywood, there are two nice hotels right on the Universal Studios property--the Hilton and the Sheraton...and for those on more of a budget, a little bit removed from there, the Beverly Garland and the Sportsmen's Lodge...Those put you closer to Universal, but a Metro ride or taxi into the center of Hollywood...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=83

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BURUCHF-Hilton-Los-Angeles-Universal-City-California/index.do

http://www.beverlygarland.com/index.php

http://www.slhotel.com/

There are also a few good hotels in West Hollywood for those wishing to be near the Sunset Strip and clubs...but that is really a different area...The Chateau Marmont is another stately hotel most noted of late as where John Belushi died...The Andaz is the former "Riot Hyatt"--the "Rock 'n' Roll hotel"...

http://www.chateaumarmont.com/

http://westhollywood.andaz.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp?src=agn_mls_adz_lclb_gplaces_laxss

http://www.mondrianhotel.com/en-us/?cid=2010MLATAG#/home/

http://sunsetmarquis.com/

That should give you a start...

Good luck...

Hi Bruin Steve

Thankyou so much for the great info.....I have looked a quite a few of the posts in regard to staying in the Hollywood area ...and I think I might take your advice and the recommendations of others and change to the Universal Hotels...

I had decided to stay there pre-cruise as we are doing the Univeral Studios tours and had decided it was going to be either the Hilton or Sheraton ...

So I think perhaps I will stay there pre and post cruise.......especially when Hollywood itself is so easy to get too...

I will research out some of the others you have kindly recommended...we have 3 days prior to the cruise and 3 after it ......so still a little bit of research needed yet ...I think!!!

Thanks again fo all you help...will check out itall out!!

Cheers Jenny

If you're interested in the "golden age" of Hollywood, the Roosevelt Hotel is worth a quick visit. There's a balcony running around the lobby. Go up the stairs and there are hundreds of interesting photos. The Academy Awards were held at the hotel back in the day....

(We passed through Geelong on the way to the Great Ocean Road. But not a Cats fan sorry...I'm a Collingwood supporter.)

Hi Kenish

Thankyou for your response....no... I am not a "Cats" supporter either ...although I am Victorian...however ... we lived in Adelaide South Australia for 40years...so I follow the "Crows"...Collingwood is not a pretty word here ...enough said !!!

I will stop by the Roosevelt ...I have done a little research on it thru sourcing a place to stay and it does look very regal and definately worth a visit..so it will be on my "to see List"..

many thanks again ...

Cheers Jenny

Not much of a pro sports fan, but saw Collingwood vs. Fremantle at the G and got hooked on AFL ! In 2009 the Aussie dollar was 70 cents US so I'm glad the "deal" has turned around so Aussies can visit here.

Roosevelt is interesting but an hour or less will be plenty. I'm assuming the photo collection still exists around the balcony...haven't been there in about 5 years.

If the weather is clear, the Griffith Park Observatory has panoramic views of the LA area and the Hollywood sign. The building itself has been in countless movies (Rebel without a Cause, Back to the Future, etc). There's a planetarium and space museum inside which aren't anything unique unless you're particularly interested in science and space or have kids who are.

Hi Kenish

I have decided to stay at the Hilton at Universal City and do the studios and then a couple of days of tours into Hollywood etc....I think that will be the easiest...and after the cruise will stay at the Marriott Del Rey at the Marina ...where we can venture just up the way to Santa Monica and the Pier ..Muscle Beach etc....after reading the negative comments about staying in Hollywood ...I am sure we will now get to see a little more of your lovely city....and really look forward although only short...thankyou for your help.....will definately try to get to the Observatory..my hubby was quite interested it that....

Cheers Jenny

Quite welcome- as far as "my city", I live down in Orange County about 90km south of LA and only get to downtown LA a few times a year. Bruin Steve lives in the areas you plan to visit and is a wealth of information.

Hi Kenish

I have decided to stay at the Hilton at Universal City and do the studios and then a couple of days of tours into Hollywood etc....I think that will be the easiest...and after the cruise will stay at the Marriott Del Rey at the Marina ...where we can venture just up the way to Santa Monica and the Pier ..Muscle Beach etc....after reading the negative comments about staying in Hollywood ...I am sure we will now get to see a little more of your lovely city....and really look forward although only short...thankyou for your help.....will definately try to get to the Observatory..my hubby was quite interested it that....

Cheers Jenny

Jenny,

I think you've made some good choices...

Hollywood is not necessarily terrible...so long as you stay in one of the few decent places...and some folks find it "interesting" to walk around at night...but it also can be a little daunting...

The Universal City area is considerably more appealing to those who might prefer a cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing environment...

My favorite restaurant in Universal City is...

http://www.micelisrestaurant.com/

The Universal City location, of course...Call first and find out when the show begins...The singing waiters all take turns at the mike...

Near the Marriott, I recommend eating at C&O Trattoria...It's just a few blocks away where Washington Blvd. hits the beach...

http://www.cotrattoria.com/

Have fun...

Actually, I think staying at Universal Studios is a terrible idea. You are isolated up on a hill with no place other than the Universal property and the subway is at the bottom of the very steep hill.

You were on the right track with the Renaissance Hotel It is a great place and so is Hollywood & Highland. I wouldn't have recommended Hollywood to anyone 12 or 13 years ago, but the area has made an amazing turnaround in that time period.

The Renaissance sits pretty much on top of the subway and you have a great variety of restaurants in the immediate area. The restaurants at City Walk are mostly very average chain restaurants.

There is also the W Hollywood. It is a top notch hotel, only a couple of years old and it is also right next to a subway station.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1789

Hi there...thankyou for your advice ...however I have just booked the Hilton at Universal City...primarily because we want to go the Universal Studios and it is really the most convenient ...I have also booked a tour to Downtown LA ...all the normal sight seeing things and if we choose to go in again will use the subway....apparently you can use the shuttle form the Studios to take you down and up if you don't want to walk the hill....so will keep that in mind also....so thanks for your advice I was so close to booking the Renaissance...will have to check it out now ...perhaps a drink or two there...thanks for your help...cheers Jenny

Actually, I think staying at Universal Studios is a terrible idea. You are isolated up on a hill with no place other than the Universal property and the subway is at the bottom of the very steep hill.

You were on the right track with the Renaissance Hotel It is a great place and so is Hollywood & Highland. I wouldn't have recommended Hollywood to anyone 12 or 13 years ago, but the area has made an amazing turnaround in that time period.

The Renaissance sits pretty much on top of the subway and you have a great variety of restaurants in the immediate area. The restaurants at City Walk are mostly very average chain restaurants.

There is also the W Hollywood. It is a top notch hotel, only a couple of years old and it is also right next to a subway station.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1789

Hi there...thankyou for your advice ...however I have just booked the Hilton at Universal City...primarily because we want to go the Universal Studios and it is really the most convenient ...I have also booked a tour to Downtown LA ...all the normal sight seeing things and if we choose to go in again will use the subway....apparently you can use the shuttle form the Studios to take you down and up if you don't want to walk the hill....so will keep that in mind also....so thanks for your advice I was so close to booking the Renaissance...will have to check it out now ...perhaps a drink or two there...thanks for your help...cheers Jenny

I would check out the Renaissance, but for a drink, I'd go to the Roosevelt Hotel. It has a great bar and just about any Hollywood star from the 30's, 40's and 50's you can name tipped a few there. The renaissance of Hollywood and the renovations to the hotel has brought back a few of them.

In all honesty, there's not much to see in Downtown LA. Maybe Olvera Street, Chinatown. And those probably wouldn't take too much time. Maybe passing by the Disney Hall and Staples Center...but I can't see actually stopping. I imagine that most tours of LA would be more about Hollywood and Beverly Hills and maybe going to the beach area (Venice or Santa Monica). Between BH and downtown LA is the Miracle Mile which has the La Brea Tar Pits (which is not much to look at) and north of there is Farmers Market, which is fun to check out. But that's not considered downtown LA.

Hi Cruisin'Chick.....thanks for the info ....yes will take in the Hollywood Walk and Beverly Hills etc and want to get to Chinatown and the Farmers Market.....the tour we have organised will take in all those areas.....we are at the Hilton in Universal City at this time and will go down to Marina del rey after the cruise and take in the beach areas then....I am now finding a lot more areas I would like to cover but I am running out of time.....looks like another trip back again....thanks Cheers Jenny

In all honesty' date=' there's not much to see in Downtown LA. Maybe Olvera Street, Chinatown. And those probably wouldn't take too much time. Maybe passing by the Disney Hall and Staples Center...but I can't see actually stopping. I imagine that most tours of LA would be more about Hollywood and Beverly Hills and maybe going to the beach area (Venice or Santa Monica). Between BH and downtown LA is the Miracle Mile which has the La Brea Tar Pits (which is not much to look at) and north of there is Farmers Market, which is fun to check out. But that's not considered downtown LA.[/quote']

In all honesty' date=' there's not much to see in Downtown LA. Maybe Olvera Street, Chinatown. And those probably wouldn't take too much time. Maybe passing by the Disney Hall and Staples Center...but I can't see actually stopping. I imagine that most tours of LA would be more about Hollywood and Beverly Hills and maybe going to the beach area (Venice or Santa Monica). Between BH and downtown LA is the Miracle Mile which has the La Brea Tar Pits (which is not much to look at) and north of there is Farmers Market, which is fun to check out. But that's not considered downtown LA.[/quote']

I think that is completely wrong. That might have described Downtown LA 15 years ago, but not any more. Besides Olvera Street and Chinatown you have Little Tokyo, The Fashion District, The Jewlery District, The Arts District, LA Live with the Grammy Museum, the Central Library, the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, shopping at several small malls, tons of restaurants, walking tours from LA Conservancy and more.

http://www.laconservancy.org/tours/tours_main.php4#tours

The renovated Central Library is an great piece of architecture. It is not "just a library" BTW, and well worth seeing. Beats the heck out of the La Brea Tar Pits, IMHO. That goes for the Disney Concert Hall too, simply spectacular.

But seriously, if someone is spending a week in Southern California, or is really big on ethnic sights, that's one thing. But seeing those sights listed in the above two posts can be done via bus and then it's time to move on to the Hollywood area (which includes Farmers Market). Yes, I actually have been in the Central Library within the past few years (even though it took longer for my hubby, who has worked downtown for over 30 years now, to get from the freeway exit to the library on a Saturday, than to go from the NW corner of the Valley to that off ramp), but I think that was so he can check the collections of music that you can't reserve to be sent to other libraries. My daughter and I have also spent a day in Little Tokyo last June and only that long because my hubby was at work and we had to wait for him to pick us up.

For that amount of time, one can spend more interesting hours at the Getty or the Art Museum (and I'm not even into art).

But seriously' date=' if someone is spending a week in Southern California, or is really big on ethnic sights, that's one thing. But seeing those sights listed in the above two posts can be done via bus and then it's time to move on to the Hollywood area (which includes Farmers Market). Yes, I actually have been in the Central Library within the past few years (even though it took longer for my hubby, who has worked downtown for over 30 years now, to get from the freeway exit to the library on a Saturday, than to go from the NW corner of the Valley to that off ramp), but I think that was so he can check the collections of music that you can't reserve to be sent to other libraries. My daughter and I have also spent a day in Little Tokyo last June and only that long because my hubby was at work and we had to wait for him to pick us up.

For that amount of time, one can spend more interesting hours at the Getty or the Art Museum (and I'm not even into art).[/quote']

There are very worthwhile things in downtown LA, as we've pointed out. I worked in downtown LA, too, for over 10 years. 20 years ago, when I last worked there, there really was not much worth seeing. I've been there any number of times since and it has vastly improved and there are things there that someone from Australia may find interesting, especially if they are interested in architecture. It isn't Chicago, but there's good stuff there.

Hollywood was a complete pit back then, too, but has also changed.

Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean everybody won't. Any sights in the Valley you particularly recommend?

But seriously' date=' if someone is spending a week in Southern California, or is really big on ethnic sights, that's one thing. But seeing those sights listed in the above two posts can be done via bus and then it's time to move on to the Hollywood area (which includes Farmers Market). Yes, I actually have been in the Central Library within the past few years (even though it took longer for my hubby, who has worked downtown for over 30 years now, to get from the freeway exit to the library on a Saturday, than to go from the NW corner of the Valley to that off ramp), but I think that was so he can check the collections of music that you can't reserve to be sent to other libraries. My daughter and I have also spent a day in Little Tokyo last June and only that long because my hubby was at work and we had to wait for him to pick us up.

For that amount of time, one can spend more interesting hours at the Getty or the Art Museum (and I'm not even into art).[/quote']

I actually think Downtown offers more than Hollywood. About the only worthwhile site in Hollywood is Grauman's Chinese. The Walk of Fame is enh, the "museums" are cheesy, nothing to compare with the museums at ExpoPark or even the Central Library. Hollywood has improved, but Hollywood and Highland isn't a top mall in LA, it is just fair to middling. Downtown also has better restaurants in general, although Hollywood has greatly improved and some like Musso & Frank, never went away.

The Grove & Farmer's Market are actually in the Fairfax District, not Hollywood.

The Fairfax area is just below Hollywood, but that's really a quick drive so many people will go from one to the other. You can also include the Miracle Mile (the Art Museum and the Petersen Auto Museum). When I lived around there, I was able to walk between Third & Fairfax to Wilshire & Fairfax easily on the weekends.

Santa Monica/Venice is more interesting (yes, to me, but we're all giving our recs here) too. Especially the Third Street Promenade. Lots of restaurants here, if that's your thing. A drive down Sunset Blvd and you hit UCLA, which has fantastic architecture and the Sculpture gardens.

As for the Valley, it's mostly just suburbia, other than Universal City/Citywalk, NBC Burbank, and Warner Brothers. Otherwise, not a tourist area. Lots of shopping malls, though.

I've been reading this thread and now I'm totally confused :confused: We're actually cruising in Oz & NZ but are flying out of Auckland and stopping over for a night in LA. Firstly, which area are we best staying in (family of 4 - 2 kids aged 10 & 13)? They want to do the tourist sights such as the 'stars houses', Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame etc, which I believe we can do on 1 tour? Our flight arrives at 6.30am so we have one very full day and a part of the next before having to return to LAX for a five o'clock flight. Where should we look to stay (we prefer 4/5 stars in a safe area) and we need to take transfers into consideration (best options??)? Any advice as how we could best utilise our short time in LA would be most appreciated.

villauk -- it sounds like the things you'd like to do are primarily around Hollywood and you won't have a car. Nobody's mentioned the smaller hotels that are one block north of Hollywood Blvd. While not 4-star accommodations, they're comfortable and convenient for a family, a great value, and you can't beat the location. Try the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, The Magic Castle Hotel, or Hollywood Orchid Suites. Tripadvisor has reviews for all of these.

Things you can do within 2 blocks walk:

- Hollywood & Highland Mall

- Weekend brunch at The Magic Castle if you're staying in a hotel that has guest passes, and if they've reopened after the recent fire. Check their website. (you can bring kids to the club for brunch, but not dinner)

- Walk of fame

- View Hollywood sign

- Chinese theater

- Tour of Kodak Theater

- See a movie at the Chinese or El Capitan

- See Cirque du Soleil at the Kodak

- Board a tour bus to see movie stars' homes and/or Warner Bros Studios and/or downtown LA

Walk just a little farther, and you can eat at Musso and Frank or the Pig n' Whistle. You can also walk up to the Hollywood Bowl.

villauk -- it sounds like the things you'd like to do are primarily around Hollywood and you won't have a car. Nobody's mentioned the smaller hotels that are one block north of Hollywood Blvd. While not 4-star accommodations, they're comfortable and convenient for a family, a great value, and you can't beat the location. Try the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, The Magic Castle Hotel, or Hollywood Orchid Suites. Tripadvisor has reviews for all of these.

Things you can do within 2 blocks walk:

- Hollywood & Highland Mall

- Weekend brunch at The Magic Castle if you're staying in a hotel that has guest passes, and if they've reopened after the recent fire. Check their website. (you can bring kids to the club for brunch, but not dinner)

- Walk of fame

- View Hollywood sign

- Chinese theater

- Tour of Kodak Theater

- See a movie at the Chinese or El Capitan

- See Cirque du Soleil at the Kodak

- Board a tour bus to see movie stars' homes and/or Warner Bros Studios and/or downtown LA

Walk just a little farther, and you can eat at Musso and Frank or the Pig n' Whistle. You can also walk up to the Hollywood Bowl.

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to confirm we'd be okay in that area, having the kids etc. Our TA has mentioned the Holiday Inn Walk of Fame Hotel, I take it this is in the same area? Good to know we can get to most of the main tourist sights on foot from there. Do appreciate you taking the time to reply :).

Hello,

The Holiday Inn Walk of Fame is not on the walk of fame, but just up the street a bit. Easy to walk to the Hollywood and Highland complex with the Kodak theater, Grauman's, etc. Starline tours also leave from that point. And there is a metro station there, which could take you into Downtown (only if you have the desire and the time, which it doesn't sound like you have much extra) or to Universal Studios.

Enjoy your time here … hopefully this will be just a taste, enticing you to come back soon!

Denice

Archived