Any Top Tips

tinky41

So we're on count down to our first cruise on the Solstice. We've booked our premium drinks package, not quite decided on excursions for St Maarten and St Thomas, read the reviews etc. Does anyone have any really good tips for first time cruisers that are essentials do's that will enhance our experience? It is my husbands 50th and we're booked in a concierge cabin. I love this site it has helped me so much but know you can give me even more advice -please help:)

Congrats on taking your first cruise. We figured we would do a "one and done" about 13 years ago. Well, we have now been on over 20!

I think the biggest problem newer cruisers make is unreasonable expectations and worrying. Much like a bride to be overplanning and obsessing about every detail of their wedding. Then, when something doesn't go perfectly, their "whole wedding is ruined." Of course, that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Don't overwhelm yourself trying to make sure you get the perfect cabin, perfect chair around the pool, perfect excursion, perfect tablemates, etc. Not one of our cruises has ever been flawless (we've missed ports, personally got the norovirus, etc), but all have been fantastic.

Be flexible and have fun. Don't worry, be happy :).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby (from Sea Cruise) :D:D Bob and Phyl

PS, one of the very best excursions we ever had was a tour in St. Martin with Joyce Prince. In face, we went with her again last month. Love her.

Absolutely go to the Hot Glass Show on Deck 15. I didn't think I would be that interested in it....after all, I've seen glass blowing in Murano....let me tell you, the young people blowing gorgeous pieces two feet away from you is a totally different experience!! Must go!! And they have raffles when they give away pieces for free!!

If the Buffet is too crowded for breakfast, go down one deck to the Aqua Spa cafe. Some people get confused thinking this is the specialty restaurant for Aqua Class...nope its for everyone. For breakfast they have fruit and yogurt parfaits, fresh fruit, museli, oatmeal and cold cereals...or they will cook an omlette for you. They also have several types of brioche and homemade jams. And the Solarium is never crowded. And its quiet. And its adults only.

You will LOVE the Solstice. On our first cruise on her...the itinerary changed due to weather and we wound up never getting off the ship and still had the best cruise we'd ever had!!

1) take time to walk around the buffet and see the different options at breakfast and lunch....don't just dive in.

2) try the martini flight at the martini bar

3) eat at the murano restaurant at least once

4) book your internet time the day you board for some free bonus minutes

5) check your dinner reservations when you get on board to make sure they got it right

6) If you're not in select dining, consider switching to it.

7) Other than the very first night, there is sushi in the buffet area which makes a nice pre-appetizer before dinner

8) Don't miss the corning glass shows...best activity on the ship IMHO

9) If you drink vodka martini's or straight, stoli Elit is the best bargain on the ship (outstanding vodka that you can't afford at home).

10) have lunch at the bistro on 5 at least once ($5pp)

That's a start on hints....

1) RELAX and enjoy it!

2) Read the "Solstice Sayings" on the bathroom walls (seriously!)

3) The butterfly farm on St. Thomas is expensive, but very informative.

4) Don't worry about the ship staff saying "Don't go on private tours". You won't miss the boat - they'll have you back in plenty of time.

5) Ditto on only shopping at "recommended" stores. Prices aren't any better; in fact, sometimes they're overpriced.

6) RELAX!

1) take time to walk around the buffet and see the different options at breakfast and lunch....don't just dive in.

2) try the martini flight at the martini bar

3) eat at the murano restaurant at least once

4) book your internet time the day you board for some free bonus minutes

5) check your dinner reservations when you get on board to make sure they got it right

6) If you're not in select dining, consider switching to it.

7) Other than the very first night, there is sushi in the buffet area which makes a nice pre-appetizer before dinner

8) Don't miss the corning glass shows...best activity on the ship IMHO

9) If you drink vodka martini's or straight, stoli Elit is the best bargain on the ship (outstanding vodka that you can't afford at home).

10) have lunch at the bistro on 5 at least once ($5pp)

That's a start on hints....

11) Window shop in the ports; do not shop unless you want a memory of the trip item and pretty much know in advance (with 99% confidence) that it woud be cheaper at home from Amazon or similar. Do not believe that Celebrity (or anyone else) insures what you buy or guarantees it's value....need I go on. If you want to buy a watch, know the price before you leave on the trip...they are NOT cheaper in St Thomas.

12) if you really want to use the internet, a cup of coffee at a starbucks on shore is the way to go....internet away for free on your ipad/netbook. On the ship, don't read the mail online...download it (outlook) and sign off, then when you've read it and responded sign on again to send it out.

13) You can order multiple appetizers, an appetizer, soup and a salad or any combination at dinner....you don't have to choose between soup and a salad. You can also get real anchovies on your caesar salad, on request (free).

14) If you eat breakfast in the buffet, look for the poached egg station which is not obvious...eggs benedict and some other nice options. Try the waffles. At lunch don't try the pizza :)

15) since you are concierge, you can ask your room attendant for alternate types of pillows, you can ask that the daily canapes be replaced with some cheese, you can ask for the sparkling wine to be replaced with red or white wine (doesn't always work, but with $5-$10 it usually works and you get better service during the cruise..hint!)...or take the sparkling wine to the Dining room and I believe they will let you exchange it for wine.

16) If you bring 1 or 2 bottles of wine on board with you (that's what's allowed), bring a corkscrew of some sort...the ones they give you are pretty poor.

17) while you don't need them, if you want to use binoculars, bring your own....they have one in your room, but not very good quality.

18) If you order a bottle of wine in one venue and don't finish it, they will keep it for another night (ask them to do this)...and if you eat somewhere else the next night, just ask for your wine and tell them where you left it (where you ate the night you had the wine opened). That includes the specialty restaurants and the buffet area.

We've only been on two cruises, this April will be our first on Celebrity. I"ve collected from this board for months a list of things important to us on the Eclipse, which I understand is very, very similar to the Solstice. If you'd like, email me at cele4711 at gmail dot com and I'll be glad to send it to you as it's too long to post here.

So we're on count down to our first cruise on the Solstice. We've booked our premium drinks package, not quite decided on excursions for St Maarten and St Thomas, read the reviews etc. Does anyone have any really good tips for first time cruisers that are essentials do's that will enhance our experience? It is my husbands 50th and we're booked in a concierge cabin. I love this site it has helped me so much but know you can give me even more advice -please help.

Hi, to our UK "neighbors". Happy 50th to your husband. Good luck on your upcoming cruise. We did our first cruise with Celebrity on the Solstice in June. Ours was in the Med, not the Carib. We had a Concierge Cabin. Some pluses there. Some are important, others only OK or average. Liked the foot stool on the balcony, thicker towels, etc.

You have already received many great tips and ideas. You can read through my live/blog noted below and see lots more on this ship, its food offerings, entertainment, interior spaces, etc., etc. I have posted some key pictures below with a few ideas and options to consider. Overall, one important tip is spend a little just walking around on the ship, get a sense of its many options and potentials. Fortunately, near each elevator, they have good graphics to show the floor lay-outs, etc.

Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will work out to be very helpful when you do your cruise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,524 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s an example for some of the “swinging” action to band on the 4th floor, central court area nearby the Solstice's main glass elevator bank. There were not large numbers dancing, but those that did, had fun and we enjoyed watching the "show"!:

SolsticeDancingMainFromHigh.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the relaxing library in this shot. Classy design on this ship! Some tradition, but not too dated or old.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

Here’s a sample of the pools and the activities around this key hub area of the Solstice.:

SolsticeMainPoolGuyWatching.jpg

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

What can I say but wow -thanks so much for taking the time to post your likes and must do's and see's. I feel honoured and am even more excited now. I'll make some simple notes and show my husband as he finds it over whelming sometimes. thanks again xx:)

What can I say but wow -thanks so much for taking the time to post your likes and must do's and see's. I feel honoured and am even more excited now. I'll make some simple notes and show my husband as he finds it over whelming sometimes. thanks again xx:)

The good news is that you have two more months before your cruise. Plenty of time to soak up added info and consider your many options. The Solstice is large, but well designed. You'll pick up its lay-out and locations quickly. Things will work out fine. Sea days are great for exploring and do different things on this ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived