Insurance Question

dwwlmw

We paid our initial payment on our cruise a week ago but have not yet purchased air. I have a couple of insurance question as I have never purchased it before...

1. We are not yet sure of our travel dates, we were going to go the day before the cruise and back home on the last day but now we are thinking of going 2 days before and home the day after. We are just not sure yet. What should we put in for our trip dates for travel insurance? Does it matter if they are not exact?

2. Since we have not purchased air yet should we just estimate the cost of that?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes, estimating your trip dates is fine. Once you firm them up, let the insurance company know. Policies are priced by trip cost, not trip length. There are maximum trip lengths (two months is pretty standard I think) but other than that, it doesn't really matter.

For your airfare, go ahead and purchase the policy now with the money you've already paid (your deposit amount.) When you purchase airfare promptly call up the insurance company and tell them you want to add airfare to the policy and they will tell you how much they'll charge to do so. Do the same at Final Payment. No need to insure money you haven't paid.

Unless you made a non refundable deposit I wouldn't consider insurance until the final payment is . I usually by airfare about the time I'm about to make my final payment . I usually by insurance to start about two days before we have to fly out . This covers us during the period before we travel to the airport. We have to travel the day before flying and stay in a hotel.

The primary reason to purchase insurance quickly after booking is if you need coverage for pre-existing conditions. Some policies will give that coverage if you buy the insurance within a very short period after your initial booking (it varies but some are 72 hours). If you have no pre-existing conditions there is probably no reason to rush your decision. I would add that we have spent more then 2 years on cruise vacations (more then 60 cruises) and have only bought trip insurance once! We have good medical insurance (that covers us worldwide) and usually choose to self-insure the trip cost since its a limited risk (the cost of the booking). When choosing insurance always keep in mind that your liability for the trip cost is indeed limited...but your medical expenses can be virtually unlimited. In other words, good medical insurance along with trip evacuation coverage is very very important.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
Unless you made a non refundable deposit I wouldn't consider insurance until the final payment is . I usually by airfare about the time I'm about to make my final payment . I usually by insurance to start about two days before we have to fly out . This covers us during the period before we travel to the airport. We have to travel the day before flying and stay in a hotel.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. Pre-existing conditions waivers are very important--I think it's absolutely essential to get coverage as soon after the initial booking as possible, so you have the largest number of policies from which to select which cover the pre-existing conditions. Unfortunately, most travelers think that it is only their own pre-existing conditions they need to insure, but if a family member's illness cancels the cruise, the family member's pre-existing conditions will also be taken into account.

Archived