Carnival Corporation Announces Safety Audit Redux.

big_duck

The following is an official Cruise Line Press Release and therefore as per the board guidelines I am allowed to post it.

MIAMI – January 19, 2012 – Following the tragic Costa Concordia accident, Carnival Corporation & plc, parent company of Costa Cruises and nine leading cruise lines around the world, today announced a comprehensive audit and review of all safety and emergency response procedures across all of the company’s cruise lines.

Carnival Corporation & plc and the cruise industry as a whole have maintained an excellent safety record over the years. “However, this tragedy has called into question our company’s safety and emergency response procedures and practices,” said Micky Arison, chairman and CEO of Carnival Corporation & plc. “While I have every confidence in the safety of our vessels and the professionalism of our crews, this review will evaluate all practices and procedures to make sure that this kind of accident doesn’t happen again.”

The review is being led by Captain James Hunn, a retired U.S. Navy Captain and currently the company’s senior vice president of Maritime Policy & Compliance. Following a 32-year career in the Navy, Hunn has held senior positions at Carnival Corporation & plc for nearly a decade, focusing on corporate-wide efforts to establish maritime policy standards, while overseeing the company’s health, environmental, safety, and security practices.

Hunn and senior health and safety executives from each of the lines will review all safety and emergency response policies and procedures, officer and crew training and evaluation, bridge management and company-wide response and support efforts. Hunn will report to the Health, Environment, Safety & Security Committee of the Board, and to Howard Frank, vice chairman and chief operations officer of Carnival Corporation & plc.

In addition, the Health, Environment, Safety & Security Committee is engaging outside industry-leading experts in the fields of emergency response organization, training and implementation to conduct an audit of all of the company’s emergency response and safety procedures and to conduct a thorough review of the Costa Concordia accident.

Frank said, “This company-wide initiative will identify lessons learned and best practices to further ensure the security and safety of all of our passengers and crew.”

Carnival Corporation & plc also supports the call for a comprehensive evaluation of safety regulations by the International Maritime Organization, which was requested earlier today by the Cruise Lines International

Someone got to your other post pretty fast :D

As I stated earlier,,, this is a great idea. I would think other cruiselines would foolow the same path. Not saying other cruiselines have issues,,, you can just always learn and improve with a self audit.

I agree to a degree with this.. I don't think there is anything wrong with the muster drills.. (besides those being held long after some sailings).. I do agree they may need to up the anti with the danger issue.. but really in an abandon ship situation no matter drill or not.. you can not determine or assume how any one passenger or crew will react if they have never been thru an actual one... dunno if that makes sense but it my 2 cents...

The interesting thing is that I have traveled on different brands of Carnival and the muster drill differs from line to line, with Carnival being the most lax (I have not been on their overseas brands to compare).

No doubt, Carnival knows its customer. Really though given the number of first timers they get it should be the most thorough. A PITA for us veteran cruisers but such is the nature of the beast.

Despite their mandatory use in automobiles, airline safety briefings still require a demonstration on how to use a seat belt. Often conducted after the flight attendant has checked that every has it fastened. :rolleyes:

First time cruiser starting december 2012, I must say that this helped the little tiny small part of me that was concerned. I am glad they are making improvements. Does carnival or any other cruise line have a yearly audit??

Anyways :) Thanks for sharing.

First time cruiser starting december 2012, I must say that this helped the little tiny small part of me that was concerned. I am glad they are making improvements. Does carnival or any other cruise line have a yearly audit??

Anyways :) Thanks for sharing.

I am actually more concerned about the passengers goofing around, drinking, and not paying attention than I am about the way Carnival does it's muster drill. It is up to you as the passenger (and in your own best interest) to listen to the information they give you.

On Princess, at least several months ago, they would not allow passengers to even have drinks in their hands at the muster drill. We also had to bring our life vests to the drill and if people talked, they were told to be quiet. The passengers weren't happy about it - even though it was for their own good.

No doubt, Carnival knows its customer. Really though given the number of first timers they get it should be the most thorough. A PITA for us veteran cruisers but such is the nature of the beast.

Despite their mandatory use in automobiles, airline safety briefings still require a demonstration on how to use a seat belt. Often conducted after the flight attendant has checked that every has it fastened. :rolleyes:

You might be onto something. I wonder if it would be possible to have a more thorough muster drill for new cruisers (new to Carnival - other cruises don't count) and a cliff's notes version for repeat cruisers.

You might be onto something. I wonder if it would be possible to have a more thorough muster drill for new cruisers (new to Carnival - other cruises don't count) and a cliff's notes version for repeat cruisers.

Can you tell me how you would react in that exact same situation...?? How do you differ from a new cruiser?? :confused: Nobody knows until you are in that situation...

9 Carnival cruises and I want the thorough one. I was very suprised the last time when I didn't even have to take my life jacket with me to the muster station.

I dont agree i think they need the same muster for all

Can you tell me how you would react in that exact same situation...?? How do you differ from a new cruiser?? :confused: Nobody knows until you are in that situation...

As evidenced by the actions of the Concordia's captain, NO ONE knows how they would react in that situation. Having studied what to do in an emergency situation doesn't automatically mean that you will behave according to protocol if such a situation presents itself.

An experienced cruiser differs from a new cruiser in that they have already heard the instructions on what to do in case of an emergency and have been shown how to properly put on their life vest - the instructions are always the same for every muster drill. The only difference from cruise to cruise is where your actual muster station is - which ironically enough is the one thing that they don't require that you do under the new process of holding the drills indoors.

Of course if repeat cruisers feel that a remedial class is needed or they feel more secure doing the whole drill every time, then by all means they should be permitted to do so.

Anyway, it was just an idea and I'm sure this isn't how it will work. I wouldn't be surprised if the muster drills become even more thorough than before, and I bet that Carnival will now put in place a way to verify that each and every passenger has attended the drill.

As evidenced by the actions of the Concordia's captain, NO ONE knows how they would react in that situation. Having studied what to do in an emergency situation doesn't automatically mean that you will behave according to protocol if such a situation presents itself.

An experienced cruiser differs from a new cruiser in that they have already heard the instructions on what to do in case of an emergency and have been shown how to properly put on their life vest - the instructions are always the same for every muster drill. The only difference from cruise to cruise is where your actual muster station is - which ironically enough is the one thing that they don't require that you do under the new process of holding the drills indoors.

Of course if repeat cruisers feel that a remedial class is needed or they feel more secure doing the whole drill every time, then by all means they should be permitted to do so.

Anyway, it was just an idea and I'm sure this isn't how it will work. I wouldn't be surprised if the muster drills become even more thorough than before, and I bet that Carnival will now put in place a way to verify that each and every passenger has attended the drill.

I hear ya I was not trying to discredit you at all.. but the lives saved compared to lives lost on this ship was up to par probably thanks to the off duty Captain and the many many staff on board... but you did see a couple in there state room recovered .. a day later.. very hard to acknowledge how anyone would react... I find this stmt from Carnival uncessary and just a company HAVE TO.. because...:rolleyes:

I am actually more concerned about the passengers goofing around, drinking, and not paying attention than I am about the way Carnival does it's muster drill. It is up to you as the passenger (and in your own best interest) to listen to the information they give you.

On Princess, at least several months ago, they would not allow passengers to even have drinks in their hands at the muster drill. We also had to bring our life vests to the drill and if people talked, they were told to be quiet. The passengers weren't happy about it - even though it was for their own good.

I plan on listening maybe taking notes...things like drills and such are done for a reason and if that reason involves keeping me safe I am all for it.

However the only reason I asked about having yearly audits is that it's good for keeping the staff in the know as well as finding any problems with the ships. If I worked for a company and was shown something one time 5 years ago, the moment I needed to recall that information 5 years later it would be a bit hazy. That's why most places that I have ever worked for have everyone retrain once a year and go through mock scenarios and then we have a huge audit done on everything and every department.

I wouldn't be surprised if the muster drills become even more thorough than before, and I bet that Carnival will now put in place a way to verify that each and every passenger has attended the drill.

This I agree with this especially when an old retired scramble egged skipper is in charge of the changes.

I plan on listening maybe taking notes...things like drills and such are done for a reason and if that reason involves keeping me safe I am all for it.

However the only reason I asked about having yearly audits is that it's good for keeping the staff in the know as well as finding any problems with the ships. If I worked for a company and was shown something one time 5 years ago, the moment I needed to recall that information 5 years later it would be a bit hazy. That's why most places that I have ever worked for have everyone retrain once a year and go through mock scenarios and then we have a huge audit done on everything and every department.

Muster drills have been done on all 10 sailings I have done with Carnival and they were before sailing or just as the ship was leaving port.. I would not worry;)

As with most things I really have to take personal responsibility for my preparedness in case of an emergency. I could totally loose it in the real thing. Don't know.....

We always make a general plan on what to do if TSHTF and we are not together. We do pay attention during the muster drill.

I have a problem with how the evacuation was handled. I have a bigger problem with the fact that the captain was so far off course so he could do a drive by of the island and toot the horn for the family of the head waiter that lived there. Going off course for any reason other than an emergency situation should never be allowed. This was done in August with permission for a celebration that the island was having. This time, there was no permission granted to do this. It was this action that caused this disaster. I think that they need to address this situation as well. If this type of thing were to ever happen again, it should lead to the immediate firing of the captain.

I have a problem with how the evacuation was handled. I have a bigger problem with the fact that the captain was so far off course so he could do a drive by of the island and toot the horn for the family of the head waiter that lived there. Going off course for any reason other than an emergency situation should never be allowed. This was done in August with permission for a celebration that the island was having. This time, there was no permission granted to do this. It was this action that caused this disaster. I think that they need to address this situation as well. If this type of thing were to ever happen again, it should lead to the immediate firing of the captain.

I completely agree. I hope that those in charge don't lose sight of the fact that none of this would have happened if the captain hadn't deviated from the set course. I understand that there may be instances where that is necessary, such as going around a storm, but to deviate just to show off or because of a whim is unacceptable.

I hear ya I was not trying to discredit you at all.. but the lives saved compared to lives lost on this ship was up to par probably thanks to the off duty Captain and the many many staff on board... but you did see a couple in there state room recovered .. a day later.. very hard to acknowledge how anyone would react... I find this stmt from Carnival uncessary and just a company HAVE TO.. because...:rolleyes:

Whenever a major accident occurred in the Navy there always followed a fleetwide safety stand down, where the focus for the entire day was on safety and safety training. The unfortunate fact is that humans get complacent all too easily and the need to re-focus becomes necessary.

The crew go thru different safety drills on a weekly and monthly basis. Don't know how often each ship is audited, but the crew SHOULD be pretty well trained. Which in this case, I honestly suspect they were -- there was a communication gap between the bridge and the crew that caused there being no emergency declared for a while and the delay of launching the lifeboats, not that the crew didn't know what they were supposed to do.

The Captain is the one that sets the ship's course within specified parameters. This accident happened because the Captain went outside of the accepted parameters, but he was nonetheless "on course".

Archived