Keeping warm on ship?

catmommy

Hi Folks!

I'm on the 5/28 Zenith to Bermuda.

On my past cruises I've been freezing in the public areas. (I'm someone who is cold most of the time.)

I'm trying to figure out what to bring that will help keep me warm on board.

My formal gowns have thin straps and while I have a wrap and a silk poncho like thing I know I'm still going to be cold.

I was thinking of a Pashima (sp?) shawl or wrap but they seem very expensive.

I can't find a long sleeved dress now since they are "out of season."

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm very petite, 5 foot nothing and 100 pounds, so lots of online clothes are just too big or long for me. I also don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.

Thanks for any ideas!

Calm seas,

Caroline

(just call me ice queen!)

What I did was turn 50 a couple of years ago, I haven't been cold since.

Sorry, you're serious. Check some of the online sites, many have stuff like you want on sale right now. I found this one:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2847606&category=2376788~2377916~2377970~2377972&PrevStyleID=2775748&NextStyleID=2839121

I absolutely love it, pretty to wear and it would look great draped over my sofa, too. They have a few others on this site that you might look at.

I agree with Trish. A pashmina shawl is a good investment piece. Buy a color that will match a lot of your wardrobe and you'll use it at a shawl over a dress in the spring/summer, twist it around your neck as a scarf in the winter and of course, bring it on your cruise.

I have a few but seem to use my creamy beige one the most. Perhaps a color like that would give you a lot of mileage?

Some of the discount stores sell cheap imitations made of rayon. Personally, I don't like the way they look and rayon will not be as warm or last as long as pashmina - but ya get what ya' pay for. (pashmina is a blend of 70% cashmere and 30% silk) But if that's whats in your budget, I'd pick a color of the season that adds some pop to your wardrobe, perhaps turquoise?

Jane

Ha ha, good one Happy KS!

In addition to the above, I seriously have done the following when I was freezing on a ship:

1. go back to cabin and put on nude toeless nylons

2. go back to cabin and put on slip or the clingy under thingie

3. get out on dance floor and work up a sweat

4. request to have the air conditioning adjusted

5. get all the passengers to go back to cabin and put their winter jackets on when number four did not work

Coka

You can wait to cruise until menopause, then with the hot flashes you're never cold. I just returned from an 11 day Celebrity cruise and I was hot all the time. I mean, perspiration running down my neck. Those darn hot flashes. My family looked at me like I was insane, complaining how hot it was in the dining room and every place else. Then I also remembered that the doc just put me on prednisone, which made me feel even hotter all the time.

But, to the question, a nice pashmina is great. They sell them on the ship, for only $10, and they come in tons of colors.

I am prei-menopausal (bout darn time) and rarely have the "too cold" problem anynmore but I would definatly listen to the wonderful advice about a Pashmina shawl. No the hot Hollywood types are no longer carting them around like trophies but they are classic and will last you forever. If that is too pricey get something elegant and handmade in Alpaca. There are several places here that have wonderful light and warm Alpaca shawls.

But, to the question, a nice pashmina is great. They sell them on the ship, for only $10, and they come in tons of colors.

Kitty,

Pashmina is a cashmere & silk blend and could never sell for $10.

A $10. shawl is probably made from rayon or polyester. It might be a good option for the OP, but it would not be made from pashmina.

Jane

how much is a pashmina shawl in the states? I live overseas and picked one up for $20-25. If this is a good price they would make great gifts and I will go pick up more. This is silk and cashmire according to the seller who is from pakistan.

Thanks,

Munchkinsmama

Munchkinmama,

Where oversea's do you live? Do you live in India? That might be a place to get pashmina at a really cheap price.

I own many pashmina shawls as well as a few pashmina scarves because I'm one of those people that's always chilly and the fabric is so lightweight. I've shopped for them all over the world - from the US to Europe to Asia.

The average price for a pashmina shawl in the US is in the $100 - $250. range and price depends on the quality of the cashmere, the thickness of the weave and the dimensions of the shawl. (of course ones with hand done embellishments can be much more).

The rock bottom cheapest ones I've ever seen have been $80. Of course, they're usually smaller and the weave is thinner, but it's the real fabric. I like those thin ones for the summer to take into overly air-conditioned restaurants as well as to bring on airplanes. When not in use, I can fold them up into my handbag.

Here in NYC we have a lot of street fairs with vendors who *claim* they sell "real pashmina shawls" for $10-$20. They're 100% acrylic! They even have phony stick-on labels made up and put on the shawls. These people are, of course, thieves who should be fined and have their merchandise confiscated, but the law just can't keep up with them. Nothing wrong with a $10. shawl as long as it is what they say it is.

That leads me to your statement saying you can get pashmina shawls for $20-$25. I don't know how it can be done - cashmere is just more expensive than that. I would be very suspect and unless you know what pashmina fabric looks and feels like and know that your pakistani merhant is honest, I'd stay away.

Bringing someone a gift is always a nice gesture and if you can give someone something that's very pricey here that you've paid little for, you're a hero. However, if you pay $25. to bring a gift to someone that can be bought here for $10., you haven't accomplished anything much.

So be careful.

Jane

For a great pashmina, all I can say is boutiquejewels . I have 10+pashminas from them and they are WONDERFUL!!! I prefer the silk blend (I like the flatter nape). $75 is a steal from this company. A great quality and lots of colors to choose from. If you have questions about color I can answear, for a few of them, email me. I am cold all the time, these are the best things for travel, ever!

Reece

Jane, on the Summit, they were called Pashmina Shawls, and they were just $10 (half price sale). I don't know what material they were made from, but the shop called them Pashmina, so that's why I referred to it as such in my post. When the ladies here on CC refer to "pashmina" I don't think they are referring to the material from which the item is made, but merely the look of the coverup. It's just easier to call it pashmina, because just about everyone knows what you're talking about. I know that the "real" pashminas are expensive, but it's just easier to use the term "pashmina" and then everyone knows what type of shawl you're talking about regardless of it's fabric content.

Hello everyone, I have the same problem, I am always cold, specially after dinner. Got some great ideas from this thread. I loved the Pashmina, but cannot afford to pay $100 just for a shawl, so I did a search at Amazon and found one for $39.00 and ordered it, I hope it is nice, or at least that it keeps me warm and comfortable at night.:)

Munchkinsmama; You go, girl, and enjoy your wonderful (less expensive and genuine, foreign) pashminas!! In the U.S., cheap ($10) pashminas are just that: cheap and fake. Genuine, cahmere, silk (lovely) pashminas are expensive. We were on a cruise in March and the polyester type ($10) were on sale on the ship. Great color selection and I wish I had bought one, who can tell the diff....in a pinch they were great, but definetely not the real thing. My feeling is that, if you are traveling and you are cold and not prepared, a 'fake' is as good as the reall thing!!:)

Archived