Is Balcony on 5nt Canada Cruise on Glory Worth it?

nicki1pt

I haven't checked to see what the Glory's itinerary is. But when we sailed on our cruise to New England and Canada, we would not have gotten our money's worth out of a balcony. We were in a port every day except one. Most of the time the ship sailed late afternoon, when the temperature was already dropping. We went in early October.

I have never booked a balcony, but was thinking if it would be worth doing on this 5nt itinerary? Can you sit out on the balcony? Or is it just standing room? I'm wondering if we will ever have time to use it...

We booked a balcony on our early june sailing to Canada. While the balcony is large enough for two people to sit, we didn't use it much. It was chilly most of the time. We used it on day 1 (on sailaway out of NYC when it was still clear and warm) and on day 5 (to watch the ship pull into port back in NYC). We'd go out there for quick peeks, but that was it.

The rest of the time, temperatures hovered in the 40's-50's, and it was SO foggy on the last 2 days, that we could barely see the lifeboats below us.

8/25 with two days at sea....and two ports

This was our sailing last year, and if you recall, we were all driven inside by Hurricane Irene. We were up on deck during sailaway, and it was raining. For the rest of the night and the whole next day, we were rocking and rolling in high seas, so sitting out on a balcony was not going to happen.

It was cool for most of our trip, and the nicest weather was when we pulled back into port to get off.

We had an OV room and we were fine, but it's totally your option.

8/25 with two days at sea....and two ports

We sailed this itinerary in early July with a balcony and loved it. However, I think by 8/25 the weather is going to be cool enough in the morning (when I usually use the balcony), that I wouldn't get much benefit from it.

OH no....must you have reminded me of Hurricane Irene :eek:, that's ok lol, praying the seas are quite then. I am thinking it's not worth it...most of the time we have will be spent running around the ship and I've never been one to need an OV. Thanks for the input everyone.

We sailed this itinerary in early July with a balcony and loved it. However, I think by 8/25 the weather is going to be cool enough in the morning (when I usually use the balcony), that I wouldn't get much benefit from it.

it's actually warmer the later in the season you go. the gulf stream controls the temperature out there.

our best weather has always been in september, and worst in july.

Honestly, probably not. BUT if you want the ability to open the door for fresh air, then yes. We like the option. But do not get your hopes up that you'll be able to spend too much sea time out there. Once you leave port, it can get really cold. And then there's the fog.....

If you are coming to Halifax, I just want you to know that August is still "summer" weather here, and indeed, days can reach up to 25+ degrees.. the weather is changing around here.. May to July, not so great.. Aug to Oct..warm and beautiful as of the past couple years.. :eek:

One of my favorite memories from our October cruise was swimming in the aft pool with the New York City skyline behind us before we set sail. It got too cool to swim in the pools after the first day, but we still enjoyed the hot tubs some.

We've had a balcony on every one of our six Canada cruises, and we've cruised between late June and early September. The only time the balcony didn't work well for us was in 2010 when we sailed with Hurricane Earl. Since we were booked in a Spa deck balcony, we didn't have an overhang above and the balcony was very wet. Aside from that one time, we've used our balcony a lot - in fact, we booked an aft wrap for two of the cruises.:D

On some of our Canada cruises, you'd swear that in looking at the Lido deck we were sailing to the Caribbean instead. This is a photo from our cruise on Glory last July:

2123072090094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

We had originally booked an oceanview, but I upgraded to a balcony. To us, it was definitely worth it. (This was in September)

I had taken a similar Canada cruise in June 2006 and it was MUCH warmer in September.

You should do whatever makes sense to you financially...if you don't think you are going to use the balcony, don't waste your money on it.

Archived