Qs re: early vs late seating folks & solo dining

NewsGypsy

I am hoping to soon book a Transatlantic trip (once I finish paying off my boss to authorize my vacation time!) and have cruised before but not on Celebrity or on any line with set seating times.

Select dining is probably the best fit for me, but decided to first solicit some info here before signing on the dotted line.

First, is there a different vibe/demographic between the folks who are in the early vs the late seating? Since this will be a T/A, I don't believe there will be a lot of children aboard so that likely isn't a factor.

I will be a solo traveler but would like to get to know other people by choosing a large table. Do you think this would be more likely to go well at a set seating time? Or will I probably be alright to take my chances if I opt for Select dining times?

On my one previous solo cruise, I did request sitting with other people 2-3 times but can't say it was a great experience. One time I was seated with a large family (who was, not suprisingly, disinterested in me -- yeah, what was the hostess thinking?!), and another time my tablemates barely spoke; it was likely most of them agreed to a shared table only because they were unwilling to wait for a private table for two.

Thanks for your help.

I traveled solo on the Equinox in December and chose the early traditional dining time. I did not notice any major difference in demographics of the two groups at all. There seemed to be a pretty even mix.

My table was comprised of other diners who too were traveling solo and I believe the ship seated us that way. Maybe I got lucky but we had a WONDERFUL time, got to be friends, exchanged emails by the end of the cruise, and not only have we all kept in contact but I am friends with one and we are planning another cruise together.

I would recommend choosing a traditional dining time as they will likely seat you the same way. *I made no special request for this type of table. If you don't like your other solo passengers you can ask to be moved to another table.

I traveled solo on the Equinox in December and chose the early traditional dining time. I did not notice any major difference in demographics of the two groups at all. There seemed to be a pretty even mix.

My table was comprised of other diners who too were traveling solo and I believe the ship seated us that way. Maybe I got lucky but we had a WONDERFUL time, got to be friends, exchanged emails by the end of the cruise, and not only have we all kept in contact but I am friends with one and we are planning another cruise together.

I would recommend choosing a traditional dining time as they will likely seat you the same way. *I made no special request for this type of table. If you don't like your other solo passengers you can ask to be moved to another table.

DH and I were seated at a large table of solo guests for the late night dinning on the Equinox and had a FANTASTIC time meeting everyone. We looked forward to seeing them each night and exchanged email addresses at the end of the cruise. :) I also recommend choosing traditional dining and you can always change tables if the guests are not great company.

I had the same kind of experience on an 11 night repositioning cruise to Hawaii on Infinity. I was seated with couples and solo travellers who also wanted to meet new people. I like having the same wait staff, too. Enjoy!

If you choose select dining, and ask to be seated with others, you run the risk of being seated with people who are not really interested in meeting others. But if you choose traditional dining and ask for a large table, chances are the others have asked for the same thing and are very interested in getting to know their table mates. I don't think early/late makes any difference. EM

Maybe be aware of where you are leaving from. Europeans, in general, tend to eat later than North Americans so where your cruise leaves from may dictate the most popular dining time.

I also think the set seating would probably suit you more. You can develop a better relationship with your tablemates or, if they don't suit move to a different table.

We travel as a couple but request a table for eight for the social aspect and although, on our last cruise, the table we were at had no solo guests the one next to us did and we ended up friends with her.

I travel solo. People say you can change tables if you don't like the people. I had a dream that my tablemates all moved leaving me alone at a large table.

Aww. I'm sure that would NEVER happen in waking life to someone named "Wolfie" :D

I have cruised solo twice on Celebrity: 7 nts on Solstice in the Caribbean and 5 nt Millie in the Carribean. Both times I was late seating which I requested because I prefer late seating. Both times I was at large tables with either all solos or a mix of solos and couples. All were great table mates. On the Millie one of my table mates turned out to be another cruise critic that had been active on our roll call. I admit that both times prior to sailing when I happened to be on the phone with Celebrity regarding my reservation I did mention that I wanted to be at a large table with other solos. I also went to check with the Maitre D upon boarding to double check. :) I got the impression that Celebrity Maitre Ds made the effort to put solos together. I'll see what I end up with on the Reflection TA.

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions.

From simply reading the message boards, I get a much more positive sense that the Celebrity folks will be a better fit for my interests and (at times) gregarious nature.

I hope to meet many of you aboard ship soon!

Archived