Allure Western Carib: Is it ok to have frozen drinks in Ports? Montezuma's Revenge?

hwfiv

We'll be on the Allure on the Western Caribbean itinerary (Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel).

I know in years past I've heard to not have ANYTHING in central American made with ice or fruit that has been washed. I'm a HUGE fan of frozen drinks, though, and the fun tropical sweet stuff.

My sister ended up with Montezuma's Revenge AND a parasite a bunch of years ago from what she thinks was a tropical drink in Cancun. So she's warned me to not drink ANYHING off the ship that doesn't come in a bottle.

The problem is, I hate beer, and it makes me sick.

If it helps at all, here's what we have planned on shore days:

Labadee: Cabana at Nellie's Beach and a motorboat ride

Jamaica: Climb up the Dunn's River Falls and Beach horseback riding tour

Cozumel: Tour to Tolum Mayan ruins and then a private beach club lunch and afternoon

I'm very excited about this trip, but getting food poisoning would be a huge tragedy.

What do you guys all do when you're in the Caribbean? This is my first time traveling to that part of the world.

Thanks!

Get the dukrual shot (2 weeks before, I would take it 3 wks). Having said that, Labdee is owned by Royal and they cart everything from the ship so tropical drinks are great here (they use ship's water stuff). Coz has never giving me a problem (It has it's own water filteration system on the island). Jamacia is another matter. I have had problems here and so have friends, so I would bring water from the ship and don't drink local stuff here.

I was so excited to have Jerk Chicken in Jamaica, but our waiter advised everyone not to eat ANYTHING in Jamaica, or we would be sick, sick, sick. He said he warns people every time they stop there, and every time someone doesn't heed his warning, and they get very ill and regret it.

I was still soooo tempted though :p but I refrained!

I got sick every time I was in Cancun something something years ago when I was young enough to do Spring breaks. I always missed one day with a fever and "stomach" problems. But I drank a whoooooole lot of those frozen drinks!

I was so excited to have Jerk Chicken in Jamaica, but our waiter advised everyone not to eat ANYTHING in Jamaica, or we would be sick, sick, sick. He said he warns people every time they stop there, and every time someone doesn't heed his warning, and they get very ill and regret it.

I was still soooo tempted though :p but I refrained!

I got sick every time I was in Cancun something something years ago when I was young enough to do Spring breaks. I always missed one day with a fever and "stomach" problems. But I drank a whoooooole lot of those frozen drinks!

We have spent three full weeks in Jamaica on land vacations and stopped there on several cruises and eaten every day. Never got sick:rolleyes:

Cozumel water is supposedly safe for consumption -- however, one of my friends spent a week there on a "land" vacation and got Montezuma's revenge something fierce. She will no longer touch anything there that isn't bottled.

Also, keep in mind that Tulum is a mainland excursion and restaurants there may be suspect. I've seen people get sick from eating fresh salsa so you have to be wary of that as well.

I've had jerk chicken on Jamaica with no issues and Labadee all food and drink is brought from the ship.

In Jamaica, we're doing a Royal Caribbean organized Dunn's River Falls and Beach horseback riding tour with lunch.

Can we assume that if it's a RCL booked tour that includes lunch, that the lunch will be safe to eat?

Same thing in Cozumel: We're doing the Tulum Tour and then the other part of the day is at "private beach club" where we'll be served lunch. Also booked from the Royal Caribbean website, so is that lunch safe?

I'm glad to know that Labadee drinks are brought from the ship! Because we rented a Cabana and I had visions of ordering all day from our attendant and enjoying nice tropical drinks on the beach. But it's just not worth it if I'm going to end up sick from them!

Thanks for all of your advice! SO helpful!

FWIW, I had a wonderful lunch in Jamaica recently, including jerked chicken. Not a problem. I think the only thing I look for is a clean restaurant. Not really any different than here. I do try to avoid uncooked items, such as salads, and do not have drinks that contain ice.

Also, keep in mind that Tulum is a mainland excursion and restaurants there may be suspect. I've seen people get sick from eating fresh salsa so you have to be wary of that as well.

I spent a week in Tulum about twenty years ago. Was not careful at all, and ate everything. I was lucky no doubt, but it was a great experience. I'm more careful now.

That being said these risks are part of traveling, and I try not to let them get in the way of enjoying myself.

"I was so excited to have Jerk Chicken in Jamaica, but our waiter advised everyone not to eat ANYTHING in Jamaica, or we would be sick, sick, sick. He said he warns people every time they stop there, and every time someone doesn't heed his warning, and they get very ill and regret it." from earlier post Magenta321

Just back {November from FOS same itenerary}

as a nurse I also worried about this...but I can say that I

ATE the chicken...loved it...Drank the frozen drinks...loved them...no revenge for me!!! just sayin'

I did watch them cook the chicken and it was fresh off the grill and hot...so if it's cooked thoroughly it should kill any bacteria...as far as drinks...? just don't drink from the tap...

there were signs posted in the restrooms...'not drinking water' which made me not want to wash my hands in it...carry a bottle hand sanitizer from Bath and body works with me the whole time...another 'just sayin'...good for on the ship too, no Noro Virus...

PS also if off the "touristy trap" section...eat where the locals eat...and like another poster commented, avoid the shady places or unsanitary ones...you'll know the ones we speak of...

FWIW, I had a wonderful lunch in Jamaica recently, including jerked chicken. Not a problem. I think the only thing I look for is a clean restaurant. Not really any different than here. I do try to avoid uncooked items, such as salads, and do not have drinks that contain ice.

I also eat every time I am in Jamaica and have never gotten sick. However that may be due to my high alcohol level of my blood so no germs can survive. LOL

Seriously. I travel a lot and have eaten in some great local places where my friends order drinks only and think I'm crazy to order food. Guess what, the food was amazing and the friends who were scared to order end up eating half of mine. I love spicy food and enjoy a great variety of ethnic foods. Bottom line, if you have a healthy immune system + a good blood alcohol level then the germs if any will never survive.

Trust your instinct. If you ever order food and it just doesn't look right or smell right then don't eat it. Be sure any meat is not undercooked. Spice it up. Garlic, chili pepper, and other spicy herbs all help protect you from harmful bacteria. Eat lots of Salsa and anything containing cilantro. Studies have shown a compound in cilantro kills harmful bacteria. Eat copper rich foods such as nuts, mushrooms, avocado, grapes, chocolate. And as a general rule I never eat anchovies and won't eat anything that are even placed close to or touching anchovies.

Now that being said since I am in the health care field I have been vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B. You may want to look into getting the Twinrix vaccine to protect against Hep A and B. As another poster suggested you can also take the Dukoral vaccine to protect against cholera.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I love cilantro, and never realized it was useful in this way.

I never knew that either. Too bad I hate cilantro. It's seriously the worst tasting thing to my taste buds, I'll notice it if there's even a little in the food I eat. It's so funny how two people can have very different views on the same thing!

Anywho, OP, don't worry so much. I've traveled quite a bit and always eat and drink at the places I go and have never once gotten sick from it. In fact the last time I got food poisoning it was from a free sample at Costco. This has included...

-Jerk chicken off a cart in Negril that probably would not pass health inspection in the US. It was delicious.

-A Mamarita at The Corner Bar in Cabo (HIGHLY recommended... if you have 10 people drinking it!).

-Tons of mixed drinks on a public beach in Peurto Vallarta.

-Pretty much every drink (mixed and iced) on the menu at Mango Mango in Ensenada. :)

Maybe I'm tempting fate. I definitely do not have a good digestion system. I get an upset stomach pretty easily. But thus far my stomach has been very happy with what I've put in it while on vacation in Mexico and Jamaica. Maybe it is all the booze that's usually in it while at these places.... hrm....

We have eaten and drank in all three of those ports and never been sick. We've also eaten in the Mexican Riviera (one place was Cabo Wabo in Cabo), although there we stuck to places that had their own water treatment for ice and drinking. We were just in Falmouth and ate at the Chukka beach break and it was jerk chicken and it was delicious.

You don't need to eat or drink something to get Motezuma's Revenge. The water is likely contaminated with all sorts of bacteria in inland water activity. If you are swiming or tubing you may swallow enough contaminated water to get sick. I always stick with ocean based water activities.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I love cilantro, and never realized it was useful in this way.

You are most welcome!:)

I never knew that either. Too bad I hate cilantro. It's seriously the worst tasting thing to my taste buds, I'll notice it if there's even a little in the food I eat. It's so funny how two people can have very different views on the same thing!

Anywho, OP, don't worry so much. I've traveled quite a bit and always eat and drink at the places I go and have never once gotten sick from it. In fact the last time I got food poisoning it was from a free sample at Costco. This has included...

-Jerk chicken off a cart in Negril that probably would not pass health inspection in the US. It was delicious.

-A Mamarita at The Corner Bar in Cabo (HIGHLY recommended... if you have 10 people drinking it!).

-Tons of mixed drinks on a public beach in Peurto Vallarta.

-Pretty much every drink (mixed and iced) on the menu at Mango Mango in Ensenada. :)

Maybe I'm tempting fate. I definitely do not have a good digestion system. I get an upset stomach pretty easily. But thus far my stomach has been very happy with what I've put in it while on vacation in Mexico and Jamaica. Maybe it is all the booze that's usually in it while at these places.... hrm....

Well alcohol does kill germs so a bloodstream with a high alcohol level has got to help.:p:D I love the local stuff. Heck one time in Mexico I bought this bread like stuff from a man on a bike with a shopping bag filled with these things and it was delicious. All the shop owners ran out to buy from him so I figured it had to be good. Even my not so daring friends ended up eating it and agreed. If it wasn't for me they'd all starve before trying the local cuisine and never venture out to the places I take them.

You are most welcome!:)

Well alcohol does kill germs so a bloodstream with a high alcohol level has got to help.:p:D I love the local stuff. Heck one time in Mexico I bought this bread like stuff from a man on a bike with a shopping bag filled with these things and it was delicious. All the shop owners ran out to buy from him so I figured it had to be good. Even my not so daring friends ended up eating it and agreed. If it wasn't for me they'd all starve before trying the local cuisine and never venture out to the places I take them.

I agree, local stuff is the best and it would be a real shame to miss out on some of these. I'll have to keep an eye out for this breadlike stuff... what part of Mexico was this in?

Personally, I don't like the more touristy places. I prefer the hole-in-the-walls. The Corner Bar isn't *really* hole-in-the-wallish but since it's down the street from Cabo Wabo it often gets overlooked but it shouldn't. We had some fantastic food to go along with this beauty: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/68173_10100384614037320_13947644_66887861_8119423_n.jpg

I agree, local stuff is the best and it would be a real shame to miss out on some of these. I'll have to keep an eye out for this breadlike stuff... what part of Mexico was this in?

Personally, I don't like the more touristy places. I prefer the hole-in-the-walls. The Corner Bar isn't *really* hole-in-the-wallish but since it's down the street from Cabo Wabo it often gets overlooked but it shouldn't. We had some fantastic food to go along with this beauty: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/68173_10100384614037320_13947644_66887861_8119423_n.jpg

It was in Costa Maya. We took a cab to the fishing village and walked left from where we were dropped off. We stopped at a little place that was the last one on the beach (in the left direction) and they had $1 beers. I ordered food (which my friends then ate;))and got talking to the owner of the restaurant/stall and were hanging out when we noticed the bike guy and bought the bread stuff. Actually Matt Yee the piano guy from the ship walked by and ended up joining us but I can't remember if he tried the bread stuff or not.:)

It was in Costa Maya. We took a cab to the fishing village and walked left from where we were dropped off. We stopped at a little place that was the last one on the beach (in the left direction) and they had $1 beers. I ordered food (which my friends then ate;))and got talking to the owner of the restaurant/stall and were hanging out when we noticed the bike guy and bought the bread stuff. Actually Matt Yee the piano guy from the ship walked by and ended up joining us but I can't remember if he tried the bread stuff or not.:)

Mental note made! Haven't been to Costa Maya yet, now I really want to!

That's my wife...she hates it as well.

I did the same itinerary in October and have a VERY sensitive stomach.

We ate Jerk Chicken at the port in Falmouth and a meat patty and (a few) rum punches at Good Hope Great House.

In Cozumel, we ate (twice in the same day) at Casa Denis in downtown, with drinks.

We ate at Labadee and Grand Cayman.

All of this with no issue whatsoever.

I will say that I take natural digestive enzymes whenever I eat anything with fat or protein. You can get them at any health food store pretty inexpensively.

In Jamaica, we're doing a Royal Caribbean organized Dunn's River Falls and Beach horseback riding tour with lunch.

Can we assume that if it's a RCL booked tour that includes lunch, that the lunch will be safe to eat?

Not any more so than you could with any semi-reputable non-RCL booked tour.

Archived