Why No More Glass Show?

OceanCruise

I am sad to read some of the comments here about wishng the glass show was replaced. The glass show is the single most convincing reason we took our first ever celebrity cruiselast year and booked two more while on board.

The fact that celebrity supports the goal of educating about glass through north america's leading glass museum is admirable in my estimation. It is, to my mind, far preferable to yet another place to eat or shop.

I understood this was the reason as well. Corning did not have enough artisans available (or did not want to provide them) to commit to more than three ships. So other options had to be used for that space on the new ships.

This is what we were told by the glass artists themselves when we were on the Solstice this season. Corning cannot provide any more glass artists for the rest of the S-class ships.

The hot glass shows were always very well attended on any of the S-class ships I have sailed on. You had to get there early to get a seat, otherwise it was standing room only.

I highly doubt there has ever been a time when a reasonably priced cruise included food served with the quality, presentation and service experienced at specialty restaurants like Murano without a fee.

It's not that they're charging for things that used to be free. A lot of people say that, but it's just not true. They're charging for premium options that did not used to exist.

When we took our first cruise, during the middle seventies, on Leonardo da Vinci, the main dining room was the only option for food, and the food and service in that dining room was better than most specialty restaurants are today. However, at that time cruises were a lot more expensive than they are today and only a small segment of the population could afford to cruise.

Thanks to all who corrected me as to the pieces made onboard. I haven't been on a Solstice class yet (scheduled for Dec this year on Eclipse), but a friend who did two of them said they announced at the shows that the pieces blown during the shows were not of sufficient quality to sell. I would think the value would be, like beauty, more in the eye of the beholder who was there and watched it being made. I hope it's still on Eclipse in Dec; while I've been to the Waterford plant in Ireland, I still marvel watching true craftsmen at work.

The glass show was one of the reasons we booked our Equinox cruise. I loved it and tried to attend as many of the sessions as possible. It was a great form of entertainment and was better than many of the other things offered on our cruise. I personally wouldn't want to see another restaurant take that space. How many dining venues do you need on one ship? I guess while I love to eat I don't really cruise just because of the dining. I prefer a greater variety of shipboard activities and interesting port stops.

P.S. Annette Sheppard was one of our glass artists and after returning home my daughters were able to find one of her pieces online and bought it for me for my birthday. I am absolutely thrilled! If I were more technically capable I'd post a picture of it.

St. Louis Sal

Hi Everyone,

Great comments. We always enjoy the Hot Glass Show. While onboard Solstice for 2 weeks in Summer 2010, I attended several shows. My Nephew couldn't get enough of it, and attended every show. From what I observed on Solstice & Equinox, the shows were near capacity or standing room only. I can't say enough about the wonderful Corning artisans, especially Carlyn Ray, who crafted some incredible pieces, and is a delight. They're all incredibly talented.

While I'm a bit disappointed that Silhouette & Reflection do not offer the HGS, I'm ok with Celebrity's decision. It's great for new ships to feature different concepts, and the Lawn Club Grill sounds like an excellent dining experience. I've heard from several Corning folks stating there are not enough glass blowers willing to be away from home/work for several months at a time - was likely a part of the equation to consider a new concept. However, at the end of the day, I believe the added revenue was the main factor in Celebrity's decision to offer the Lawn Club Grill.

For those who enjoy the Hot Glass Show, it's offered on Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse. If my Nephew sails with us again - we'll probably be booking one of those ships !

Thanks to all who corrected me as to the pieces made onboard. I haven't been on a Solstice class yet (scheduled for Dec this year on Eclipse), but a friend who did two of them said they announced at the shows that the pieces blown during the shows were not of sufficient quality to sell. I would think the value would be, like beauty, more in the eye of the beholder who was there and watched it being made. I hope it's still on Eclipse in Dec; while I've been to the Waterford plant in Ireland, I still marvel watching true craftsmen at work.

Many of the pieces are quite valuable - not just in the eye of the beholder but fiscally so. In auction the pieces generally fetch anywhere from a few hundred to $1,000 plus and if you look at similar prices at Corning's online store that are sold at auction on the ships you will see similar pricing. Your friend either misheard something, or misinterpreted a joke as something literal.

I would much rather see the Lawn Club. To me the Hot Glass Show is out of place on a cruise and once you have seen it....you've seen it. Also, I wonder about the fire safety at sea, however, I'm sure that Celebrity has this addressed and has all of the precautions in place.

That's one of the GREAT things about cruising...VARIETY. I for one who, having seen the Glass Show about 10-12 times, never tire of seeing it again. It is a great way to spend time on a sea day, and the artisans are great ambassadors for their craft....I look forward to seeing them again. At the same time, I'll enjoy trying the Lawn Club Grill if/when I book a cruise on one of the ships with that venue !

As far as fire safety...all the ovens are electric, and like all other electrical systems on board...safety regulations are strictly enforced/monitored.

Happy Cruising !

Woody

My husband was really intrigued by the hot glass show - rarely missed one - on last year's Solstice sailing. We are booked in March 2013. Has there been any indication it will be removed from the Solstice prior to our trip?

Thanks!

They are adding the Lawn grill and the Cabanas on the Solstice Re-fit! from what I have heard. I know some will be sad, but some like us are happy because we really enjoy the Lawn Club every day and the Grill was interactive and amazing

They are adding the Lawn grill and the Cabanas on the Solstice Re-fit! from what I have heard. I know some will be sad, but some like us are happy because we really enjoy the Lawn Club every day and the Grill was interactive and amazing

I hope your source is incorrect! On our two Solstice cruises is was SRO at all that shows. Not interested in grilling my own meal -- I can do that any night in the backyard.

mac_tlc

I would really like to know FOR SURE if Celebrity is planning to eliminate the Hot Glass Show on Solstice before the April 25 sailing from Honolulu to Ensenada. That is the only reason we booked that cruise, and they've already changed the itinerary on it. Does anybody know how I can find out???

I would really like to know FOR SURE if Celebrity is planning to eliminate the Hot Glass Show on Solstice before the April 25 sailing from Honolulu to Ensenada. That is the only reason we booked that cruise, and they've already changed the itinerary on it. Does anybody know how I can find out???

I doubt very, very much that it is going to be gone from the Solstice in the next three months. They just did a dry-docking within the last month. To make this kind of "change-over" takes some time for "tear out" and to building anything new there. During our June Solstice cruise, this show was getting good crowds and interests. As my photos showed, it was not jammed and standing room only, but still good attendance. It will take a little time for Celebrity to get better feed-back and testing to see how the Lawn Grill is doing before making such a change that could create a serious "back-lash" with customers.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.067 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Plus for most people, you see the glass show once and that's enough. And if you repeat sail these ships it's a non factor. But a good restaurant, will keep people coming back. As said before it's about the money.

Plus, it was an oxymoron for X. They claim they don't have laundry facilities onboard due to the fire risk and insurance. But let's put in a hot glass show that's much much much hotter and more a fire risk?

X DOES have laundry facilities, just not self service. I've never seen X state that self service laundry is negated due to anything other than increased revenue from their laundry service. Also, to negate the fire risk, X has electric kilns. You won't see many electric kilns, as most glass studios use gas.

They give away 4-5 pieces after each show that they had made during previous shows. My wife got a nice bowl during our last cruise. They do auction some pieces also, for charity.

The show that we attended on Solstice had 15 or so front row seats reserved. Just before the start of the show, these were filled by participants in the Celebrity Children's program. The artist explained that the youngsters had submitted drawings to be considered for execution in glass. One young lady's drawing was selected, a yellow giraffe with blue spots. After the object was completed, it was placed in the annealing oven, and then would be a gift to the girl. I can't help but believe that it would be a treasured possession for the rest of her life (maybe even more so than her Barbie collection).

I know many people love the 'menu' approach, but I am in the opposite group who hates it tremendously. Pretty soon I fear everything but the already paid for room will be for a fee. When it gets to that point I may as well just go to a land based resort.

One of the things I love(d) about cruising was the, for the most part, all-inclusive, 'status' free, and stress free nature of it (i.e., except for a few obvious choice items like liquor and shore excursions, you knew ahead of time what your cost would be and could enjoy all venues and almost all activities for 'free' regardless of your cabin type). I would rather pay a little extra to have this type of cruise back (and please don't suggest options like Azamara or Crystal - they may include more but they are significantly more expensive)

I totally agree!

The show that we attended on Solstice had 15 or so front row seats reserved. Just before the start of the show, these were filled by participants in the Celebrity Children's program. The artist explained that the youngsters had submitted drawings to be considered for execution in glass. One young lady's drawing was selected, a yellow giraffe with blue spots. After the object was completed, it was placed in the annealing oven, and then would be a gift to the girl. I can't help but believe that it would be a treasured possession for the rest of her life (maybe even more so than her Barbie collection).

Great story. We did two Solstice TA's and didn't pay much attention to the hot glass show other than to walk by on our way to the Sunset Bar.

On our past TA on Eclipse this past November, we attended 4-5 of the glass shows heading across the pond and enjoyed everyone of them.

Hi Constantcruiser,

The best advice is to call Celebrity, as none of us can be 100% certain. However, I do feel there's a "near zero" chance the HGS show will be removed on Solstice anytime soon. This would be a major undertaking, and would surely require another Drydock.

For the member who said that Celebrity will be removing the HGS show when the first three S-Class ships are updated, I cannot see how anyone knows this for certain, as their Drydocks have not been scheduled. We'll have to wait and see if this is in Celebrity's plans, but I sure hope not.

We were a huge fan of the hot glass show on the Equinox. We went to every show every day and night that they had. We are not artsy people, but they put on a very educational and entertaining program. We were lucky enough to win a bowl that we saw them made one day when they had a raffle. We look forward to seeing more hot glass shows in the future. The shows were always standing room only at every show during our 10 day cruise. The space is well used.

All those calling this 'glass blowing' obviously haven't really seen it. This is not some cheap figurine you'd see in the mall. These people go through years of training and it is a true art. Corning also makes Stuben crystal and gifts for royalty around the world. Last year we did a B2B on the Eclipse and my husband never missed a show (I made about half) and it was standing room only. This year we are on the 14 day Constellation and are all dissappointed we will miss the glass show. Our next cruise will be back to a ship with the show - no doubt.

When is the re-fit suppose to be??

Archived