Are the ports in FLL and Miami on par with each other?

Ykgorbie

I have read things on here in the past saying how terribly unorganized the Miami port was compared to Fort Lauderdale's. Still true? We'll be sailing out of Miami on our next cruise, which is a change for us and wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance !

We haven't sailed out of Miami for years, but have found Fort Lauderdale to be very convenient. Airport is about a 10 minute cab ride to the port. Lots of close hotels and shopping, including Total Wine.

Since Miami port has been updated and redone, it is now very efficient and very nice.....Ft Lauderdale port is smaller, so we used to be able to get in and out and through it much easier....now it is a toss up....last cruise out of Miami was wonderful....port is really nice now. We used to prefer FLL, but not any more!

I have sailed mostly out of Miami, and never encountered a problem there, and the one time out of Ft Lauderdale, it was comparable. Sometimes it is a little offputting when your cab pulls up to the cruise terminal, and you see a long line of people outside, but once in that line, at least for me, it has always moved quite quickly. And I have no bad memories of long waits.:)

Visually I think Miami is just prettier as you can see a long line of ships from a distance. Ft Lauderdale to me looks more industrial and the ships seem cramped together, but both ports are well organized.

Rather we are going out of either we like to fly into Ft. Lauderdale and stay there, the flight is cheaper the airport nicer and cheaper rates at hotels. Have fun, Lydia of Ohio

cruised out of FLL twice.. in 2009, and again in 2010.. at that time, the terminal was 'under construction', but even then, it was a BREEZE getting thru. in 2011, I cruise out of MIA for the first time.. found it to be just as convenient. No worries...

Archived