ncl epic, freestyle dining, solo

vxv0409

How do you meet people at anytime dining? I've always sailed royal Caribbean and had traditional seating. Not sure if you request a table amount, like eight people or if they just put you anywhere. I'm worried about sitting alone.

Thanks

On NCL they won't seat you with other people unless you request it. And even if you so request, it all depends on other people being willing to share. The dining room hostess might or might not be willing to provide much assistance in this regard. NCL sort of caters to people (like me) who DON'T want to share. :-)

I haven't been on the Epic, but I believe they have a daily singles happy hour where you can meet other people. But if you arrive at the dining room alone, you will most likely dine alone. If this is a problem, I'd book another line.

The solo gathering at 5:30 is an excellent way to meet others to eat with.

The group then kind of decides what to do for dinner, as the week goes on some people even book speciality restaurants together.

It is crucial that you go the first day- do not miss it!

Ate at the main dining rooms the 1st-3 nights we had 19 people one night,

did the Italian rest. night 4, the buffet #5, cirque #6, and chineese solo 5:30 day 7.

Judging from how crowded the rooms looked some evenings, I would not reccomend showing up and asking to be seated with people as this is non-traditional dining and there is not a fixed time like on other ships

• 1 month later...
The solo gathering at 5:30 is an excellent way to meet others to eat with.

The group then kind of decides what to do for dinner, as the week goes on some people even book speciality restaurants together.

It is crucial that you go the first day- do not miss it!

Ate at the main dining rooms the 1st-3 nights we had 19 people one night,

did the Italian rest. night 4, the buffet #5, cirque #6, and chineese solo 5:30 day 7.

Judging from how crowded the rooms looked some evenings, I would not reccomend showing up and asking to be seated with people as this is non-traditional dining and there is not a fixed time like on other ships

Howard, this is a great post. I am traveling solo, studio cabin, I am in my late 30s on the Epic 4/7 and I am a bit apprehensive about the dining as I am use to the more traditional route offered by Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

I was actually thinking of posting in the roll call thread to try and get a group together of solo travelers for the 1st night but based on your post I think I need not bother and should just show up at 5:30pm to the happy hour the first night.

I was actually thinking of posting in the roll call thread to try and get a group together of solo travelers for the 1st night but based on your post I think I need not bother and should just show up at 5:30pm to the happy hour the first night.

Absolutely! You'll probably have a group of about 30 solo travelers of all ages who will be interested in meeting others to eat and attend shows with. And the cruise director's representative who attends the get-togethers (it was Sol when I was on a month ago) even organized dinners in the MDRs, a lunch at Teppanyaki, and an evening at the Ice Bar for those who were interested. Enjoy the cruise!

Howard, this is a great post. I am traveling solo, studio cabin, I am in my late 30s on the Epic 4/7 and I am a bit apprehensive about the dining as I am use to the more traditional route offered by Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Don't bother Howard's right. Go to the lounge. We formed an eclectic group of five for dinner each might. Plus, the CD for solos will organize two dinners, lunches and even an ice bar get together. With traditional dining, you run a greater rik of eating alone if your table mates choose a speciality restaurant or the buffet.

Plus some nights the group will go to the MDR by default, given that it if you have 20 people it is easier getting space there than a specialty restaurant.

One of my favorite meals was with around 20 people for dinner at the buffett.

My idea was to rearrange 3 tables and we had a very long table.

I am still considering going back in December!

What about dinner at specialty restaurants?

If you attend the afternoon get-togethers in the studio, you're certain to find someone who is interested in going to the same specialty restaurant you are, either that evening or at another time. Both times I've been on the Epic, we've had an active group of nice and very interesting people who've had a great time together, both in small and large groups.

Traveling solo on the Epic 4-7..A few of us are talking about meeting in the studio lounge. Question....some are on 11 some deck 12..Is there a separate studio for each deck...If you are deck 12 can you go to the lounge on 11??

Looking forward to meeting others that want to get together for dinner and/or entertainment in the evening.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Howard,

How are you doing? Are you planning your next cruise?

Penny

Hi Penny, nice to hear from you! I am on the Breakaway for 9/15/2013. How about you? I kept having dreams for weeks I was still on the Epic

Traveling solo on the Epic 4-7..A few of us are talking about meeting in the studio lounge. Question....some are on 11 some deck 12..Is there a separate studio for each deck...If you are deck 12 can you go to the lounge on 11??

Looking forward to meeting others that want to get together for dinner and/or entertainment in the evening.

hey carol,

im on your cruise - did we make a time for the get together in the studio lounge?

jeff

• 2 weeks later...

My cruise is leaving this Saturday. It seems that everyone on my cruise is booking Blue Man Group or has booked it. I havent yet , because I figured Id wait and see if the groups from studio lounge would go together. Is that fair to expect or should I try to book it in advance if still possible?

My cruise is leaving this Saturday. It seems that everyone on my cruise is booking Blue Man Group or has booked it. I havent yet , because I figured Id wait and see if the groups from studio lounge would go together. Is that fair to expect or should I try to book it in advance if still possible?

I was to wait to book it too, but my NCL Cruise Consultant said to book early because it gets sold out. I booked for 4/8. So I hope some others are going that night...:) Solo Studio Cruiser...Carol

hey carol,

im on your cruise - did we make a time for the get together in the studio lounge?

jeff

Hi Jeff...there is an earlier post..I think it for 5p-530p in the lounge..From what I understand they have cocktail hour every day in the lounge..Getting excited!! Flying out friday evening on American...can't wait!..>Carol

I was to wait to book it too, but my NCL Cruise Consultant said to book early because it gets sold out. I booked for 4/8. So I hope some others are going that night...:) Solo Studio Cruiser...Carol

When I login to NCL there are only 5 Entertainment options available.

Update: I just called. She said BMG is sold out for prebooking but they save a percentage for people to book on ship plus you can show up as standby and wait to be seated for the no shows.

When I login to NCL there are only 5 Entertainment options available.

Update: I just called. She said BMG is sold out for prebooking but they save a percentage for people to book on ship plus you can show up as standby and wait to be seated for the no shows.

Good luck...I hope you can get in...it is supposed to be a great show..I booked Legends & the Cirque dinner/show in advance too!

I was on the 3/27 sailing.

The Studio Lounge is on two levels, with stairs connecting them. Deck 12 is only a walkway in the lounge area. The Assistant Cruise Director, Sol arranges some get-togethers for the solo passengers in the Studio, a couple of dinners and a trip to the Ice Bar. She's really nice. I had a lot of fun meeting people. Morning coffee and drinks before dinner became social events. BTW, there are sandwiches and crudité in the little fridge where the milk is. I didn't see them until the fifth night of the cruise.

One night, I ate alone in Taste, after my meal the waitress suggested that if I didn't want to eat alone, I should ask the hostess to place me at a shared table where there would be other solos. I wound up going out with others the rest of the cruise, but it's nice to know.

Also, book the Cirque show as early as you can. It was completely booked by the 2nd day.

I'm a solo traveler and I know this sounds funny but a good way to meet people is arrive early on the ship and grab lots of those ship maps... get your barings and then when people are lost by the elevator, you can give them a map and point them in the right direction. People tend to remember you and strike up conversations with you later. This works well for me as I've been in customer service my whole life... but it will depend on your comfort level.

Also, always show up for team trivia the first morning as it continues all week with the same people you end up sitting with.

They always have a solo gathering on all the ships each night and someone from the Entertainment committee is always helpful and friendly to make introductions. Also I understand the solo lounge is a good place to meet other solo travelers - unless they like to be alone of course :-)

Finally, attend the sail-away party... right away you'll strike up a conversation with people... this could run into the 5:30 gathering.. not sure, haven't been on the Epic (next year) but other cruises follow a routine.

Archived