Lighters

CruisinFools

This may be a silly question after all this, but are lighters also banned from being carried on board the ship in Seattle, or is it just the aircraft ban I have to worry about? I'm getting in a day before the cruise so buying a lighter is no problem if they allow it.

I'm all for security, but I think the ban on lighters is extreme. What do you think?

The rule is a joke, that's what I think.

I got not one, but THREE lighters onboard the aircraft, into my cabin aboard ship, and then back home without any trouble at all. One was in my carry-on, one in my checked luggage and one in my pocket. I wasn't taking any chances being stuck without a lighter during a two-week cruise. After all, our first port stop was not until the fifth day, and they don't sell lighters on the ship.

In hindsight now, I know what to do for the future. Just carry your BIC right in your pocket. There is not enough metal to set off the detectors and you will walk right on through.

Security is getting ridiculous in airports now. Of course, they have to scan for drugs and for guns and knives. But stopping someone because they have a sewing kit in their carry-on, or a safety pin. Give me a break! How much damage are you going to be able to do with that? I'd be more likely to prick my own finger with the needle.

The next thing you know, they will make women take off their bras in order to get on the airplane! After all, lord knows the damage that could be done with the fastening hooks! :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

The rule is a joke, that's what I think.

I got not one, but THREE lighters onboard the aircraft, into my cabin aboard ship, and then back home without any trouble at all. One was in my carry-on, one in my checked luggage and one in my pocket. I wasn't taking any chances being stuck without a lighter during a two-week cruise. After all, our first port stop was not until the fifth day, and they don't sell lighters on the ship.

In hindsight now, I know what to do for the future. Just carry your BIC right in your pocket. There is not enough metal to set off the detectors and you will walk right on through.

Security is getting ridiculous in airports now. Of course, they have to scan for drugs and for guns and knives. But stopping someone because they have a sewing kit in their carry-on, or a safety pin. Give me a break! How much damage are you going to be able to do with that? I'd be more likely to prick my own finger with the needle.

The next thing you know, they will make women take off their bras in order to get on the airplane! After all, lord knows the damage that could be done with the fastening hooks! :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

We too carried lighters on recent flights in and out of Seattle. One in carry-on and one in checked. I left the checked one in an easily accessible outside zipper pouch fully expecting it to be confiscated, but it wasn't.

Maybe the TSA/CIA/FBI et al got wind of a plot involving lighters? Some kind of poison gas, biological weapon, canned farts, whatever? I'm sure they made this rule for some reason, and it's not to increase Bic sales. This was not a knee-jerk response to 9-11, coming some years later.

This country is going to h*** in a handbasket, with people thinking rules don't apply to them. Oh well, God bless America, we need it.

I just read this:

SHIP THOSE CONFISCATED ITEMS. So what to do with all the scissors, pocketknives and lighters that are confiscated at airport security checkpoints? At an increasing number of airports--22 right now, and possibly as many as 40 by year's end--passengers can mailed the disallowed items home to themselves for $8 (a bit more for lighters and overseas shipments), using new self-serve kiosks installed by a North Carolina company called Check-Point Mailers. They currently handle about 10,000 items a month.

This lighter question seems to be an American one as you can board an aircraft in the UK with as many lighters as you wish. A large proportion of these flights will be headed to the USA.........'nuff said

Archived