Belize Experts?? For beach day

elemon

We went to Belize in 2005 and did the water taxi to Caye Caulker. We are not doing that again and are trying to plan a relaxing beach day. Sounds like Bannister Island might be our best bet ? But to be honest it doesn't sound all that great. Some people really complained about island size and amount of people that go.

Anyone have any suggestions ? No need for snorkeling, or even food. Just nice beach with restrooms that is not an hour away from port. Out of all 6 of my cruises, Belize was the only port that has ever been disappointing, so I would like a good experience this time around :)

We went to Belize in 2005 and did the water taxi to Caye Caulker. We are not doing that again and are trying to plan a relaxing beach day. Sounds like Bannister Island might be our best bet ? But to be honest it doesn't sound all that great. Some people really complained about island size and amount of people that go.

Anyone have any suggestions ? No need for snorkeling, or even food. Just nice beach with restrooms that is not an hour away from port. Out of all 6 of my cruises, Belize was the only port that has ever been disappointing, so I would like a good experience this time around :)

Just curious why you wouldn't want to use the Water taxi to go to Caye Caulker again. Was it not enjoyable or was the water taxi experience nerve racking? I only ask because that's what we may be doing in March, so any insight would be great. I haven't read the best of things about Bannister Island so we have decided not to go there. Goff's Caye is still getting some decent reviews, but it's very small as well.

Hey there! It didn't have anything to do with the water taxi ride, that was fine (just too long) we want to stay closer this time. IF it was amazing and was worth the trip yea we would do it again but (in my opinion) its not. The thing that really bothered me was the amount of stray nearly dying dogs. Now I have been a lot of places Dominican Republic, Mexico, Virgin islands but ive never seen so many sickly sad dogs like literally every 5 feet. I stopped and fed and gave water to a few of them that looked on their last leg. I am a total dog person so this made my day a bit depressing. If that wouldn't bother you then disregard. The other thing was there really wasn't a beach. There were two different areas we saw to sit but wouldn't consider it a beach. Overall I just wasn't impressed as I had thought I might be in Belize. So this time around id like to stay closer to pier. I am leaning now toward Goffes island......

Hey there! It didn't have anything to do with the water taxi ride, that was fine (just too long) we want to stay closer this time. IF it was amazing and was worth the trip yea we would do it again but (in my opinion) its not. The thing that really bothered me was the amount of stray nearly dying dogs. Now I have been a lot of places Dominican Republic, Mexico, Virgin islands but ive never seen so many sickly sad dogs like literally every 5 feet. I stopped and fed and gave water to a few of them that looked on their last leg. I am a total dog person so this made my day a bit depressing. If that wouldn't bother you then disregard. The other thing was there really wasn't a beach. There were two different areas we saw to sit but wouldn't consider it a beach. Overall I just wasn't impressed as I had thought I might be in Belize. So this time around id like to stay closer to pier. I am leaning now toward Goffes island......

Thank you for the description, I appreciate you taking the time to give me a quick review. Well we're 47 days out and still can't make up our mind. We have our 10 yo son and don't want him to be bored either. Why does this decision have to be so difficult! haha

You can try Cucumber Beach. It's where the locals go. It's not a fancy beach resort though, but is only a 1/2 hour taxi ride.

http://www.oldbelize.com/

Sorry, outside of Bannister or Geoff's or Cay Caulker, that's your closest choice.:(

Is there a cost to get into Cucumber Beach or to use their facilities?

Is there a cost to get into Cucumber Beach or to use their facilities?
For the beach, I don't think so. Check the web link and you can also email them, via their info email address on the web site. Look closely at the pictures. This place could be fairly quiet during the week. So you need to email them and ask if and what facilities are open on the day you are in Belize.

Have you considered Goff's Caye? It's about a 40 minute boat ride from the TV. Small atoll (about an acre), primitive but has a restroom, food for sale. Beautiful, quiet day.

Approaching the island

DSCF0299.jpg

The beach is sandy on one side (rocky on the other) with gradual slope out.

DSCF0279.jpg

The rocky side of the island

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0269.jpg

DSCF0295.jpg

I love those pics of Goffs Cay! Did you have to book this trip ahead of time, or can you just find a tour company at the Tourist Village??

I booked the tour at the TV through http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/snorkeling.html#goff_caye. We are going again in February and have it already reserved. We found their office down by the Wet Lizard. They only make one trip to the island a day, so you'll want to be sure to get there early (before 9:00am) to make sure you get a spot on the tour. I think we left around 9:30 or 10:00 and returned around 2:30.

Yes, we are leaning toward Goff's Caye but we don't want to do snorkeling so I don't want to pay $45 each to get there. I will look into how much it costs if you don't do snorkling but if anyone knows let me know :)

DSCN1426_0033.jpg?t=1292693069 We too love Goff's Caye-there were some people who went who did not snorkel, the beach on the western side of the island is nice, but they do warn you about currents. Since the reef blcoks the wave system to Belize, unless you choose an island to go to, you really don't have a beach option. Good luck and enjoy!

• 2 months later...
Yes, we are leaning toward Goff's Caye but we don't want to do snorkeling so I don't want to pay $45 each to get there. I will look into how much it costs if you don't do snorkling but if anyone knows let me know :)

Did you ever find out if you could just go to the island and not the snorkeling for a cheaper price?

Archived