Jewel of Seas with Young Kids: HELP!

In an effort to be spontaneous and fun loving, we have booked a cruise (Tampa to Cozumel) with our three young boys (ages 16 months, 5, and 7). I am now worried that I have no idea what I've gotten myself into, and that this trip will be a disaster.

Specific fears include chasing the toddler all over the ship, and having 3 young kids sit through extended mealtimes.

I am a novice cruiser to boot. Can anyone help? Does anyone have tips for ways to make this enjoyable and pleasurable for all of us? Tips on dining, dining rooms, activities, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Is it true that the toddler cannot go in any of the pools?

Anyone have kid friendly excursions in Cozumel that they would recommend?

Please impart your cruising wisdom!

Cruise ships are like floating resorts....plenty for everyone to do! The 16 month, tho, (depending on ship) won't have a "kid's club" ....on most ship's it's 3 and over and potty-trained. Same with pools...on almost every ship, a child must be completely potty-trained to use the pools. Some folks will bring a blow-up "duck" tub for bathing (cabins have showers!) and for splashing on deck. Empty into a floor drain.

RCI offers My Time Dining, so you can sort of eat at your own pace...and there's always the buffet if your older kids want to attend the nighttime kid's club sessions...

I think you'll have a great time....cruising is fun!

As far as excursions....get a guidebook, so you'll know what each place offers...then you can decide if it's something you can do on your own, or if you need to book an excursion!

I second MTD- ultimate flexibility, you can dine by yourselves, so no worries about interrupting someone else's dinner with wiggly kids. And it's paced for your party( in your case ,fast!) unlike the scheduled dining times.

In Cozumel I recommend taking a cab to Paradise beach, we are going in a couple of weeks, Ill report back, but it has great reviews for being kid friendly with a pool and beach, and is reasonably priced. Check out the port boards for more info.

CB -love your idea about the blow up pool, but I wonder if he will stand for it if his big brothers are in a real pool? This might be a divide and conquer moment where one of you watches the baby while the other takes the bigger boys in the pool out of sight. But theres no way around preventing a " pool closing" accident with a child that young:(

I've traveled with my kids for years, baby to now teens ( wow, that was fast!), cruising will be like any other vacation, you will have adjust your plans to the whims and needs of 3 little kids! Our running joke was always that traveling with young kids is, "same hassles, none of the conveniences". ;)

Good luck!

If you haven't done so already, go over to the Family Cruises Board here on Cruise Critic. There is a wealth of information there and I'm sure someone there will be able to answer all your questions and give you lots of tips as well.:)

Archived