OBC and Different Travel Agents

CK77

We're looking to book our first RCL Cruise...

Non of the local TA's in my area will offer OBC. The local TA's said RCL does not have any OBC's to offer at this time. But a few online TA's have packages with OBC.

Why the Differences?

Thanks

THe OBC in those "packages" are from the TA's, not RCI in most cases. The best way to get OBC directly from RCI is to either: book during a WOW sale, one in spring and one in the fall; or book while on board a cruise.

If your already booked and have only paid the first down payment, can you still get the OBC for the WOW sale in the spring?

The reason is because your local TA doesn't sell as many cruises as your online TA does. Your locals won't give you OBC because that decreases her commission. The online TA's sell SO many of them they get huge discounts and kickbacks.

The OP is asking why local TA's say that they can't offer OBC yet online TA's do, and she is asking why the discrepancy.

I'd like to know the answer to that question too.

The reason is because your local TA doesn't sell as many cruises as your online TA does. Your locals won't give you OBC because that decreases her commission. The online TA's sell SO many of them they get huge discounts and kickbacks.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Its difficult for a TA to give OBC when they are booking maybe 1 or 2 cruises a month - most TA's work for someone so they are not getting the full commission as their "pay" as well - they get a share based on what they have negotiated with the boss/owner.

The OP is asking why local TA's say that they can't offer OBC yet online TA's do, and she is asking why the discrepancy.

I'd like to know the answer to that question too.

My local TA gave us $200 OBC for paying in full early.

On board credit or ship board credit from a travel agent is them giving up commission usually. It could also be they have group space that comes with on board credit as a perk. Some agencies don't change the price before final payment is due if a lower price becomes available and you don't ask for it. If they are honest, they can give you the lower price, keep your price as it is and give you some on board credit to make up the difference, or just not tell you and keep it. No travel agent is supposed to discount according to the cruise lines. They do get around that though by giving ship board credit. That way the cruise line still wins and so do you (due to a kind agent).

That's what I figured too. I booked with an online TA the final days in December and the special was OBC of nearly 12.5% of the cruise fare. It was a special year end sale and was easily a good amount more than other online TA's were offering. I assumed they were trying to hit a large bonus by hitting say 10,000 cruises sold during the year or something.

We're looking to book our first RCL Cruise...

Non of the local TA's in my area will offer OBC. The local TA's said RCL does not have any OBC's to offer at this time. But a few online TA's have packages with OBC.

Why the Differences?

Thanks

Because your local TA cannot operate on the 3% profit margin that the larger online agencies do.

Archived