Zuiderdam vs Statendam (Alaska ?)

mj

Right now, we are looking to book a last minute Alaska deal sailing out of Vancouver. Both ships have similar ports. Has anyone sailed either of these two ships in Alaska and tell me the pros/cons for Alaska? I have never sailed on Holland America.

Thanks

These ships do not have the same Itinery. Statendam goes Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver.

She makes that run with the Zaandam. The Volendam has the same Itinery as the Zuiderdam and between the two I would go Volendam any day in the week. Volendam goes out on Wednesday and the Zuiderdam goes out on Saturday.

You need to decide where you want to end up. The Zuiderdam goes round-trip from Vancouver. That makes air arrangements a little easier.

The Statendam will go from Vancouver to Seward. Then you have to go to Anchorage to get a flight home. Or, the ship will leave from Seward, and end in Vancouver. Either way, it's an open-jaw ticket. Heading home from Anchorage is longer than from Vancouver.

Beyond this, the two ships are almost as different as you can get in the HAL fleet. The Zuiderdam is one of the largest, while the Statendam is among the smallest. Each has it's fans.

You need to decide where you want to end up. The Zuiderdam goes round-trip from Vancouver. That makes air arrangements a little easier.

The Statendam will go from Vancouver to Seward. Then you have to go to Anchorage to get a flight home. Or, the ship will leave from Seward, and end in Vancouver. Either way, it's an open-jaw ticket. Heading home from Anchorage is longer than from Vancouver.

Beyond this, the two ships are almost as different as you can get in the HAL fleet. The Zuiderdam is one of the largest, while the Statendam is among the smallest. Each has it's fans.

Or go back to back. That way you start and finish in vancouver. We are doing it in may.

We have sailed on both ships.

Coming from SC -- you have to consider the prices of those open jaw flights (like Ruth said) that you have to pay for if you sail on the Statendam. Also the cost of getting from Seward to Anchorage (or vice versa).

Both ships are very nice.

We have don the back-to-back cruises on the Statendam -- that is a very nice itinerary. But you need 14 days for that cruise.

Coming from SC - I don't know if you have direct flights -- but you may also have to consider arriving in Vancover a day early and possibly staying a day after.

We have sailed on both ships.

Coming from SC -- you have to consider the prices of those open jaw flights (like Ruth said) that you have to pay for if you sail on the Statendam. Also the cost of getting from Seward to Anchorage (or vice versa).

Both ships are very nice.

We have don the back-to-back cruises on the Statendam -- that is a very nice itinerary. But you need 14 days for that cruise.

Coming from SC - I don't know if you have direct flights -- but you may also have to consider arriving in Vancover a day early and possibly staying a day after.

I agree that the open-jaw flights can be very expensive. That's the time to book with flyer miles, if you have enough. What is HAL charging to add air to your cruise? I don't usually take the cruiseline's air, but sometimes it is easier and less expensive to do so.

I haven't been on Satendam. We did the Vancouver-Vancouver trip on Zuiderdam and liked the ship. Vistas are large by HAL standards, but compared to what's out there one some other lines, still reasonably sized ships.

We found the flights to Vancouver very expensive and difficult to work out, so we flew into Seattle and took Amtrak up to Vancouver. (There are bus services, too, but we prefer the train) This necessitates an overnight in a hotel in one or both cities, depending on your connections. We wanted to visit Seattle anyhow, so for us it was an easy decision to make.

I hope you can work out your logistics and enjoy Alaska.

Right now, we are looking to book a last minute Alaska deal sailing out of Vancouver. Both ships have similar ports. Has anyone sailed either of these two ships in Alaska and tell me the pros/cons for Alaska? I have never sailed on Holland America.

Thanks

I did an Alaskan cruise on the Statendam! :) I would recommend it highly! I wouldn't take a chance & book a cruise, of any kind, on the Zuiderdam until the "plumbing" issues have been resolved! :( Have you read the thread(s) here on HAL CCB related to the (ongoing) "plumbing" issues? :confused:

Thanks for all the advice. I currently trying to work for the Statendam. The great part is an ocean view is about 800 and airfare from Charlotte from Anchorage and Vancouver runs $650 roundtrip right now, which is very reasonable. Was surprised by how cheap airfare for those dates were.

I am used to sailing mega ships such as Allure and Liberty of the Seas, but the Statendam looks like it would be a great ship to Alaska due to being around 1500 people, plus I would like to experience the service that HAL is famous for.

Here is what I want to know. All of this time, I had planned to do a balcony cabin. Since we would have only an ocean view, how was your experience or is a balcony highly recommended for Alaska, in particular seeing the scenery like Glacier Bay and the inside passage. Just wanted to hear various points of view.

I would rather use the savings on a balcony to do some wonderful shore excursions in the ports such as whale watching, and some other great ones.

If I can't go to Alaska this year, we are planning to definitely go next year.

Thanks for all the advice. I currently trying to work for the Statendam. The great part is an ocean view is about 800 and airfare from Charlotte from Anchorage and Vancouver runs $650 roundtrip right now, which is very reasonable. Was surprised by how cheap airfare for those dates were.

I am used to sailing mega ships such as Allure and Liberty of the Seas, but the Statendam looks like it would be a great ship to Alaska due to being around 1500 people, plus I would like to experience the service that HAL is famous for.

Here is what I want to know. All of this time, I had planned to do a balcony cabin. Since we would have only an ocean view, how was your experience or is a balcony highly recommended for Alaska, in particular seeing the scenery like Glacier Bay and the inside passage. Just wanted to hear various points of view.

I would rather use the savings on a balcony to do some wonderful shore excursions in the ports such as whale watching, and some other great ones.

Lots of people, even those with balconies, spend the day in Glacier Bay on deck so that their view is not limited to one side of the ship. Just bundle up, have some pea soup, and enjoy the day!

I did an Alaskan cruise on the Statendam! :) I would recommend it highly! I wouldn't take a chance & book a cruise, of any kind, on the Zuiderdam until the "plumbing" issues have been resolved! :( Have you read the thread(s) here on HAL CCB related to the (ongoing) "plumbing" issues? :confused:

GN, just curious do you believe everything you read :confused:

I consider myself to be an experienced cruiser that is well informed and know a bit more Inside information than most. So why would you think that I booked an Alaska Cruise on the Zuiderdam??? If there was really a serious problem I definitely would not be booking. As a matter of fact i am very much looking forward to my 11 days on the Zuiderdam. Unless you have just gotten off the Zuiderdam and have first hand experience you may not want to be posting on every thread that the Zuiderdam is so terrible. Sorry JMHO

My first cruise to Alaska was in an outside cabin. Since then, I have done four more Alaska cruises in an inside cabin, with one more booked. I don't miss the view.

I spend as many hours as possible out on deck, enjoying the grander view that a full deck allows.

Sure, I would like to be able to step out first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. But I would not give up the hours on an aft public deck to stay on a private balcony. And I love using the money for some of those expensive shore excursions.

My 1st Alaskan cruise was in a balcony cabin (a suprise upgrade from an oceanview) and honestly, we did not spend much time out there besides taking some photos because it was just too cold when we were sailing (this was in July, too). Although I did enjoy the nice views from sitting inside on the sofa, I don't think it's a must have. My next AK cruise was in an oceanview and it was fine. I'd say go for some fun shore excursions instead.

Lots of people, even those with balconies, spend the day in Glacier Bay on deck so that their view is not limited to one side of the ship. Just bundle up, have some pea soup, and enjoy the day!

Exactly & IMHO take the smaller ship - based on their size, they may be able to go further/get closer... Also less people...

Excursions are not cheap in Alaska -- in fact nothing is cheap there. Whale watching excursions are great -- as well as flight seeing adventures.

So the money you save by not booking a balcony can be a big help to do those excursions.

Glad you are able to get reasonable air fares.

Thanks

We've been on both ships most recently Statendam - and I would say hands down go with Statendam the smaller ship made everything more "intimate" and such a friendly atmosphere - It could have been all in my head, but it seemed the crew were alot more relaxed as well and didnt seem as rushed as they did on the larger Zuiderdam.

We have also booked the cruise on the Zuiderdam in July but with the land tour first. I wish the airfare from Charlotte was as reasonable as stated for us. We will be flying to Anchorage, then home from Vancover and our cost was almost 4 Xs that amount.

Archived