Current Drivers licence!!

bertieboop1

To get on and off the ship you need your SS card and photo ID. Does the drivers licence have to be valid ???? or does it matter if it has just expired, or should you take a passport off the ship which I dont really want to carry around!

NO a SS card does not work, you need a certified birth certificate and a DL, or a passport. a SS card does not count, it does not prove a US citizen..... Some resident aliens here, like my mom, from another country, has a ss card, but is into a US citizen.

If I am reading your post correctly you are talking about in the ports - not when you embark/debark. Correct?

Yes, you will need a photo ID and your Sign & Sail Card. I would imagine that your photo ID would need to be current/valid but I am certainly no expert. I would recommend calling Carnival but I can't even be certain that you will get a valid answer from them as often times, they don't know about things like that either. If you can't get a current/valid one under any circumstances, I would recommend that you just take your passport with you when you get off in each port. Better safe than sorry. You may want to try asking John Heald on his blog or FB page though.

Good luck,

Julia

I think by SS they mean their sail and sign card which yes you need to take with you when you get off that ship at any port of call. I didn't see anywhere on Carnival's FAQ section about whether or not your DL had to be current. To be on the safe side I would call Carnival and ask them just to be on the safe side.

I didn't interpret the OP's question to mean embarkation at the start of the cruise. I thought she meant leaving & returning to the ship at the ports of call.

If I'm right about that, then I would say this: the guards at the return gates do look at the D/L when you reboard the ship at every port I've been to but my impression is that they are looking at the photo only, and possibly the name to see that it matches the name on you S&S card. It doesn't seem to me that they take the time (or even have the time) to search out other information such as expiration date. That kind of info would be in a different place and possibly formatted differently by each issuing authority. I don't think it would be a problem if your D/L was expired (it still has your name and photo after all), and in the unlikely event they did question it you are close enough to the ship at that point that someone would be able to go retrieve your passport for you.

NO a SS card does not work, you need a certified birth certificate and a DL, or a passport. a SS card does not count, it does not prove a US citizen..... Some resident aliens here, like my mom, from another country, has a ss card, but is into a US citizen.

This is completely incorrect as a response to the OPs question, which had to do with the procedure at the various ports of call, not for initial boarding.

OP: You should have a valid ID, but it is very doubtful that the port workers would be able to tell the difference in a valid DL and one that was expired. Usually they just give them a cursory glance and wave you through.

I wouldn't imagine that it makes any difference at all to the local port authorities if your photo id is current or not. As a PP said, they just do a cursory look at the picture and perhaps the name.

I assume there is an issue in going ahead and getting your DL renewed? I hope you correct that soon....I almost found out the hard way that at least in Oklahoma and at Chase bank you can't conduct banking business that requires a teller assistance with an expired drivers license......it's a good thing the teller was an old friend....

These replies have me really confused. I've never had anyone at the port require ID. My experience before is that the ship holds the passports and clears everyone when they come into port--returning your passport only at ports where some additional ID might be required after leaving the ship. I haven't done eastern Mexico before, and you may need ID if you are taking transportation away from the port city, in which case that information should be provided by the company providing your excursion. Otherwise, you should be covered by the docking clearance from the ship. Is eastern Mexico different?

Archived