Emerald Beach - St. Thomas

gchamber

My wife is talking about going to Emerald Beach for the day. Just trying to get information about the beach and if it is easy to get to from the ship.

We had plans to go there last time we were in St Thomas. Instead we ended up at Secret Harbour. It was secluded, quiet and there were no hassles from anyone. There is a bar there and a dive shop/store for things you need or want like soda and so on. I've got some pics of the beach in my St Thomas pictures here - > https://picasaweb.google.com/103084935451172592303/CarnivalLibertyStThomas?authkey=Gv1sRgCIDUytGvsIXsdA#slideshow/5586888927730113730

We did enjoy the day there but it was about $30 cab ride each way. I was led to believe that Emerald Beach was closer and was an equally nice beach that the locals frequent.

Having said that, our favourite beach in St Thomas is probably Sapphire or Coki.

Coki is the best place to go if you want to snorkel and so on. I've got some Coki pics in this album - > https://picasaweb.google.com/103084935451172592303/StThomasNavigatorOfTheSeasCruise2006

Sapphire was the best place to go just to have a nice beach day. As far as beaches go, this was the nicest for my money. I loved Sapphire. No pics unfortunately, my CD that contained them is corrupt.

We went to Emerald Beach this past Nov. and had a wonderful day. The water was calm with a sandy bottom. I cannot remember exact prices we paid but possibly $6.00 each for the cab from Havensight. We were in an open air safari bus and it took a little while to get there because we dropped others off downtown and another stop but it wasn't bad. I think we paid $20 for 2 chairs and a palpas(?). We also rented a floaty mat for $5.00. There are two hotels to get food and drinks from.. the Best Western and the Island Beachcomber. We had lunch and drinks from the Beachcomber since they were a little less expensive. Conch fritters were good w/ a little kick. We also ordered a burger for the kids. I do not remember the cost but you can go to their website. We had no trouble getting a cab back to port. We were only approached by one person to buy something and just said no thank you.

We also enjoy Coki but decided to try Emerald. It was relaxing and I don't think you will be disappointed. Any other questions, just ask. I should add that there were 7 ships in port and the beach was not crowded.

Emerald Beach is one of our favorite places. The last time we were there was Thanksgiving 2010. Apparently whoever was supposed to be collecting money for the chairs at the Best Western had taken the day off, so we did not have to pay.

If you're able to walk a little bit, the beach is walking distance from Crown Bay. I'm not sure if any Carnival ships dock on that side of town, but Princess and Holland America ships do.

Emerald Beach has been our favorite stop now for our last 3-4 cruises down there. We learned about it when we on a Princess Cruise that docked at Crown Point on our obligatory trip into Charlotte Amalie. We stopped at a little cafe and asked the waitresses where they prefer to go for beach time. We had been to Magen's Bay and Sapphire so to us it was been there done that. They suggested Emerald Beach because according to them, the tourists are urged to visit Magen and Sapphire, and Emerald is quiet and relaxing. True to their word, it is wonderful.

Our cruising friends insist on going with us to Emerald. Dave and I always joke that our retirement jobs will be to walk the beach collecting the money for the chairs.

The taxi is very cheap and beats traveling to the other side of the island to get to Magen's. The taxis drop you off at the Best Western and there is always one waiting when you're ready. I

It has never been crowded and the beach bar at the Best Western has 2 of the largest iguanas I've ever seen hanging out in the pool area among the bushes. If you're lucky, the bartender will give you a 1/2 head of lettuce so you can feed them. It's really cool. I'll have to find the pictures of us feeding them and post the link.

Joe

it's hard not to like Emerald.

Emerald3.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

Yeah! These pictures made me really smile! Memories!

I got married during a cruise at the Emerald Beach Resort on St. Thomas (It's now Emerald Beach Resort- Best Western). It is so beautiful!! Go - check it out!

nbsj cruiser: I took a look at your photos and noticed your picture and name. Wondering if you graduated SJHS in 1979? If you did it was the year after me.

You got the year right, 1979. St Macs though. Do we know each other? Small world isn't it?

nbsjcruiser. Looked it up and someone by the same name graduated from SJHS in 79. DH went to Voc. Don't know that we ever met, but your name sounded familiar. DH and I left the city several years ago and now live in Carleton County. Perhaps we will run into each other on a ship someday.

Archived