Sharps policy

Lotsasmiles

Can anyone tell me HAL's policy regarding taking knives etc on board. DH and I are doing an Alaskan cruise and would like to purchase Ulu knives - can we bring them on board after purchase? Obviously they will show up on the scanner.

Many thanks

I would ask the Security Officers as you exit the ship if the knives could be brought onboard. Good luck.

I agree to speak with Security.

There is a good chance they will confiscate them and hold them until you disembark. They will tell you when, where and how to claim them when you are leaving the ship.

I had a boxed set of kitchen knives with me in my luggage when we boarded Ryndam in Barcelona in October. They were confiscated, security hassled me a bit, they were returned to me the night before debark, and the Front Desk guy said "we all had a look, these are really nice knives!"

Have purchased Ulu knives on three separate cruises and have never had them confiscated. They went through the scanner, so, at least when we purchased them, they weren't a problem. Did put them in checked luggage when we flew home. Can't guarantee anything for you, but it was no problem for us.

We took an Alaska Cruise on the Zuiderdam 3 yrs ago and had no proplem bringing a ulu knife back on the ship with us. We had bougt a few gifts in Ketchecan and nothing was seized. I use mine at home all the time and love it. We are off to the Caribbean on the Eurodam Feb 18th, anyone else???

Concerning the Ulu knives.

About 4 years ago we had a friend who did have her Ulu knive taken when she came back from a shopping trip. She got it back at the end of the trip.

So -- the rules may vary by ship.

BUT -- you do need to back the Ulu knives in a suitcase to get them home if you fly.

KK, just to clarify that the knives would need to be packed in the "checked" luggage and not the "carry-on" luggage! ;)

KK, just to clarify that the knives would need to be packed in the "checked" luggage and not the "carry-on" luggage! ;)

That is correct.

That rule was even in effect when we bought ours on a cruise back in the 90's way before 9/11 -- don't know we had that rule back then. But the ships did warn everyone about the Ulu's needing to be packed in the checked luggage for flying.

Have purchased Ulu knives on three separate cruises and have never had them confiscated. They went through the scanner, so, at least when we purchased them, they weren't a problem. Did put them in checked luggage when we flew home. Can't guarantee anything for you, but it was no problem for us.

We did the same on our Statendam Alaska cruise---no problems.

I had a boxed set of kitchen knives with me in my luggage when we boarded Ryndam in Barcelona in October. They were confiscated, security hassled me a bit, they were returned to me the night before debark

That makes a lot of sense! If you were a threat when you brought them on the ship, you weren't the night before disembarkation?:rolleyes:

It is the same thing with Ulu knives -- they are dangerous as well.

And they are returned to you the last day of the cruise.

They can't wait until you disembark the ship to give back these items as there would not be chance for many people to quickly pack them into their suitcases before the flights especially for those that have chosen Luggage Direct and don't see their suitcases once they put them out into the hallway at night until they get home.

Can anyone tell me HAL's policy regarding taking knives etc on board. DH and I are doing an Alaskan cruise and would like to purchase Ulu knives - can we bring them on board after purchase? Obviously they will show up on the scanner.

Many thanks

When we sailed on Amsterdam in Alaska I had no problem bringing onto the ship some Ulu knives I'd purchased for gifts.

Perhaps you could mail/UPS/FedEX them home when you purchase them?

Just remember it might take a while for things to get back to the continental US. More than likely shops will want to cut costs by shipping the item back to you via the cheapest possible method (Parcel Post with USPS?). So it could take a few weeks to get to you.

Just something to think about before having the shop mail the item to you.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will chance bringing them back on board (I don't think I will be the only one!) - if they are confiscated until the last night it is not going to worry me alot, as long as I can retrieve them. Sending them Fed-ex sounds smart, but the cost and time to get them home (I live in Cairns, Australia) it just wouldn't be practical

Many thanks again for your input :D

I use to be in the habit of takin my deer skinning knife with me everywhere. Came in handy. Was confiscated by ship 'security' prior to boarding. Had one heck of a time getting it back :rolleyes:

Handy for what???

Because there are so many deer carcasses lying around in the Caribbean in need of skinning?

:confused:

It's probably a matter of how alert the Security Officers are when your carry ons are scanned as you re board.

I doubt if the security guards would not notice an Ulu knife coming through the scanner especially considering the amount purchased by guests each cruise. It is more likely that they are considered permissible by HAL's (ad other cruise lines) security policy based on the threat posed. I have yet to see a thread or news item concerning an attack by a cruise ship guest with their Ulu knife!

Just remember to keep them in their packaging, if supplied, when you pack them. If you are flying and your bag is selected for additional searching it lessens the chance of the person searching being injured and your clothes being damaged by blood etc. :rolleyes:.

Archived