Euros or US Dollar?

grandgeezer

Shocking to me that this question is even being asked!! What do you think would happen in your local supermarket if someone tried to pay in euros? It's exactly the same thing in Europe. We stash away enough dollars for the shuttle when we get home and leave the rest of the dollars in the bank.

We have spent three months in Europe in the last two years. We always use ATM's to get money, and have never ever had a problem finding an ATM when we need one. They are on every corner just like in America. We do use credit cards if we ever buy a big ticket item (like a rug in Istanbul). Please do not use the currency exchange booths at the airport--you will be paying a big fee for their services.

I asked this question because a lot of foreign countries do take the USD. Central America, the Caribbean, and some countries in South America to name a few that have taken my USDs. I was told that the only dumb question was the one that wasn't asked, I guess I was wrong.

I asked this question because a lot of foreign countries do take the USD. Central America, the Caribbean, and some countries in South America to name a few that have taken my USDs. I was told that the only dumb question was the one that wasn't asked, I guess I was wrong.

Most people tried to be polite in responding to your question as is the norm on this board and I'm so glad that is the case. I have asked some questions that others considered dumb, but usually the responders were kind. I'm sorry that one poster had to lash out at you. Everyone should be able to ask an honest question without getting blasted.

Have a great time on your cruise. We did a Med cruise last September and it was wonderful!

It is the idea that America (and the dollar) are the center of the universe that is bothersome to me. I did not mean to be offensive--but you are travelling 3000+ miles away to visit three or more foreign countries and cultures--it seems very strange (in my opinion ONLY) that you would expect them to accept your currency. Even if they DID accept dollars (as in your example of the Caribbean and Central America) my guess is that it would not be to your financial advantage and you would be paying a premium over using local currencies.

I didn't say the question was dumb. I said I was surprised to read it. There's a big difference.

I didn't "expect" them to, I was just wondering if they do, there's a big difference. That you were shocked that someone would ask the question infers that it was dumb, because everybody should know better than to even ask.

Thanks to all the "polite" people who were kind enough to give me an insight on the financial way in Europe.

The reason in "some" countries dollars you experience the happy acceptance of USD is that the local currency in the said countries are regulated un-naturally manipulated and the USD is a more liquid currancy and actually of better value. Think if a country has extreme inflation the value of currence is about as good as a piece of fresh fruit going bad :D

My first trip to Europe I wanted to be "all prepare and bought 1000 Euro from my bank before I left.

I brought home 50 euro with me so the next time I would have pocket change for that beverage,snack when I got off the plane.

My last trip I had to deal with pounds and Euro. I had my 50, but no British pounds. In the Boston airport I bought 200 pounds - I had a car waiting that I had to pay for. Because I bought the money in Boston, they waived the fee when I exchanged the money when I returned home.

I bring two atm cards. I have a checking account I only use for travel so if I if the account number/pin was stolen, I'd have miminmal damage to deal with. Sometimes one card wouldn't work, but the other one would.

Definitely go with the Capital One card if your going to use a credit card. I forget what type of card I have, but there's no annual fee and no transaction fee.

Call your bank and have them up the daily withdrawal maximum if you think you'll be getting out more than normal.

Reminder...Let your bank and credit card companies know that you will be in Europe and when. I couldn't use my ATM card in Curacao when I didn't notify my bank. I had no problem in Athens and Rome when I did. I had a problem purchasing jewelry in St. Thomas when I hadn't told my credit card company, but no problem when I did.

I think the fact you are asking this question is great. It means that more American travellers are interested in finding out how best to enjoy their travels abroad and how to best fit in with the local custom and culture. Bravo!!

Archived