Carrying food tray from HC Buffet.

Raisin70

We will be sailing south bound Alaska 2012. With the sometimes lack of seating on the first night and during glacier cruising, is it ok to carry our food tray back to our cabin?

Our cabin is just down the stairs from the buffet. If ok, should I leave the tray on desk in room or take back to buffet (I don't mind returning)?

We will be sailing on the Island Princess as first time cruisers.

We will be sailing south bound Alaska 2012. With the sometimes lack of seating on the first night and during glacier cruising, is it ok to carry our food tray back to our cabin?

Our cabin is just down the stairs from the buffet. If ok, should I leave the tray on desk in room or take back to buffet (I don't mind returning)?

We will be sailing on the Island Princess as first time cruisers.

I tried to return mine last cruise, but got caught by my cabin steward. He just about had apoplexy, and took it from me, with instructions that for me to return it was unthinkable. I would leave it on the desk in your cabin.

Karen

You could obtain a TRAY by ordering something from room service and "stashing" the tray somewhere in your cabin or asking or leaving a note for your room steward not to remove it, until you need it, in order to have a tray to carry TWO platters/drinks from the buffet down to your room without spilling....:D

Thanks, that was funny, I had to LOL. Someone else had posted tray. I will leave on desk. Perfect answers. :D
Years ago, Princess used trays but then switched to large oval platters on which you can carry a heck of a lot. I just leave mine on the table in the cabin. The one thing you shouldn't do is leave it in the hallway as it's a hazard although some people do. Kinda gross to step over dirty plates/platters and if people are in wheelchairs or scooters, it can become a challenge.

Years ago, Princess used trays but then switched to large oval platters on which you can carry a heck of a lot. I just leave mine on the table in the cabin. The one thing you shouldn't do is leave it in the hallway as it's a hazard although some people do. Kinda gross to step over dirty plates/platters and if people are in wheelchairs or scooters, it can become a challenge.

When I have called room service to tell them I am done, they have told me to leave the try out in the hall:cool:

You could obtain a TRAY by ordering something from room service and "stashing" the tray somewhere in your cabin or asking or leaving a note for your room steward not to remove it, until you need it, in order to have a tray to carry TWO platters/drinks from the buffet down to your room without spilling....:D

My hubby will request a tray as he likes to make a tray up for my daughter and me for sea days. He'll get up early, do a lap around the ship then go to the buffet and get his made-to-order omelet. Then he'll put a waffle, a bowl for cereal, a bowl of fruit, a muffin, a glass of OJ on the tray and bring up to the cabin for his sleeping girls. He wouldn't be able to put all that on one of those platters, let along a platter and my required OJ. After we finish, he puts the tray away in a secret location and leave the dishes, glass, and plates on the desk.

Def like the idea of stashing the tray somewhere for use again might try this!!!

My hubby will request a tray as he likes to make a tray up for my daughter and me for sea days. He'll get up early' date=' do a lap around the ship then go to the buffet and get his made-to-order omelet. Then he'll put a waffle, a bowl for cereal, a bowl of fruit, a muffin, a glass of OJ on the tray and bring up to the cabin for his sleeping girls. He wouldn't be able to put all that on one of those platters, let along a platter and my required OJ. After we finish, he puts the tray away in a secret location and leave the dishes, glass, and plates on the desk.[/quote']

First cruise coming up and I'm planning to do something similar for my wife - I get up early so I thought I'd go down to the IC and get brewed coffees for me and my wife. We're on Lido deck and it's a long way up from the IC. I'm thinking of taking one of those pressed cardboard drink carriers you get a Mickey D's to make the coffee carrying easier.

I leave the plates under the round table so my cabin steward know that I'm done with the food. If I have plates in the evening, I leave them outside my cabin and they get picked up overnight.

Please do not leave your plates in the corridor, because sometimes they do not get picked up and create a hazard. Leave them in your cabin and your steward will get rid of them.

First cruise coming up and I'm planning to do something similar for my wife - I get up early so I thought I'd go down to the IC and get brewed coffees for me and my wife. We're on Lido deck and it's a long way up from the IC. I'm thinking of taking one of those pressed cardboard drink carriers you get a Mickey D's to make the coffee carrying easier.

I get coffee for my wife in the morning. It's not difficult to carry two coffees...it only gets tricky opening the cabin door with both hands full. :D

Ditto about leaving the dirty trays in the hall. It is one of my major pet peeves! :cool: Great idea about hiding a tray in your cabin. We always hide a coffee pot (from a room service delivery) for the last morning. DH will go up to the lido and bring back a pot of coffee. :rolleyes:

I think that leaving dirty trays of dishes in the halls is a throwback to how folks use room service in a hotel. Unlike a cruise ship where you have a cabin steward who seem to always be working on your room when you are abscent from it; in an average hotel you get housekeeping once a day and if you call for roomservice the dining bus staff is basicaly responsible for picking up your dirty dishes. So, in a hotel you put your dirty dishes out in the hall, which is of course a lot larger passage space than a hallway on a ship. In turn the dining staff in a hotel will usually come and pick up whatever is in the hallways as they make their rounds. Most folks are much more used to hotel stays than cruise ship travel so it doesn't surprise me that hotel behavior comes out when people are on cruise ships.

Our last cabin steward was excellent and always seemed to have just the right timing and always remvoed our dirty dishes from the room whenever we were gone. We later found out he had been with Princess 16 years, so we weren't surprised as how efficient and detailed he was in taking care of our living space.

As food service is concerned, I much prefer to have my meals in the dining room or to take advantage of room service. My general opinion is that dining room meals are much better than anything you can find in the buffet and even though the room service menu is limited, it is still very good food, plus you don't have to handle serving utinsels and deal with the general cattle call atmosphere of the buffet. On embarkation day we had lunch at the IC and dinner in the dining room and it was far more plesant than going to the buffet, which was slammed during both lunch and dinner.

We Learned the Tray Tip from CC a few years back....We order a Large Bucket of Ice from Room Service First day and it comes delivered on one of the Large Trays....

We Keep this in the room the whole cruise and it really comes in handy bringing items up from the International Cafe, Buffet, etc....:D

Not to mention having to look at someone's half eaten and discarded meal left in the passage way for hours because it was put out there after the room stewards went off duty...

Please don't leave your dirty plates, etc. in the hallway. I've seen them tripped over when people try to pass each other and have seen food scraps scattered by people running into them with scooters or walkers. Yuck!

We have never had a problem over trays. We use the one the ice bucket is on. We do clean the silverwear for future use and leave that out when we leave the ship on the last day. For early tour days, we make up breakfast sandwiches, fruit and juice. Store it in the refrig and have a leisurly breakfast in the cabin before leaving the ship. Will get fods from the buffet the day before and store in the freezer bags I have packed.

Archived