Cruise points comment/question

A few days ago I received an email from C&A stating that in going over my cruise history they discovered that I was given 25 cruise credits when the points conversion took place but it should have been 24 credits. So they are now taking 7 points away from my total. I sat down with DH and we counted our nights at sea since we started crusing in 1996. Presently we have 221 points, however if we total nights at sea we should have 266 since ALL of our cruises were 7, 9, and 12 day cruises (with some in suites). When the points conversion took place we were credited with 7 days at sea for each cruise even though many were more than 7. Now for my question: Were we the only ones given the Royal shaft by the formula used to calculate cruise points or are there more of you out there ?

A few days ago I received an email from C&A stating that in going over my cruise history they discovered that I was given 25 cruise credits when the points conversion took place but it should have been 24 credits. So they are now taking 7 points away from my total. I sat down with DH and we counted our nights at sea since we started crusing in 1996. Presently we have 221 points, however if we total nights at sea we should have 266 since ALL of our cruises were 7, 9, and 12 day cruises (with some in suites). When the points conversion took place we were credited with 7 days at sea for each cruise even though many were more than 7. Now for my question: Were we the only ones given the Royal shaft by the formula used to calculate cruise points or are there more of you out there ?

Just remember that the extra cruise credit for cruises over 12 days and for suites did not start until 2004/2005'ish. So anyone with longer cruises/suites before that will not have as many points

When they did the conversion you only got 7 points for each cruise credit no matter if you did a 3 night cruise or a 15 night cruise and stayed in a suite. They used the same conversion method on everyone so you were not the only ones that lost cruise points in the conversion.

This link should help you understand how they arrived at everyone's points RCCL's New C&A Conversion Table

While I don’t know when it happened on RC, my first cruise on X only got 1 credit even though I was in a suite. It was shortly after that it changed to add an additional credit for a suite and on for 12 nights or longer. So some of the older cruises would not get credit for the length of the cruise or for suite. It happened to us on X. I tried to get onto the X web site but technical difficulties prevented me from seeing the history. X must us the same IT guys as RC.

While I don’t know when it happened on RC, my first cruise on X only got 1 credit even though I was in a suite. It was shortly after that it changed to add an additional credit for a suite and on for 12 nights or longer. So some of the older cruises would not get credit for the length of the cruise or for suite. It happened to us on X. I tried to get onto the X web site but technical difficulties prevented me from seeing the history. X must us the same IT guys as RC.

Here are the dates when RCI started giving extra cruise credits......don't know if X fell under the same dates ..

1/1/2003 ~~ C&A extra credit for 12+ night cruise.

1/1/2004 ~~ C&A extra credit for booking a JS cabin or above.

We were in the same boat as you, so we "lost" points when they did the conversion. (not as many as you) RCI was unwilling to make an adjustment, but, I did find a creative solution that we agreed upon. Personally I think they should have thought this through better, but, their IT department seems to be poorly staffed.

Let me ask you - when reviewing your cruise history online, did your cruise credits add to 24 or did they mistakenly give you an extra credit on a cruise that didn't qualify for extra points?

This seems kinda ridiculous. We are supposed to deal with their screwed up system, but the moment it becomes inconvenient for RCL, they make changes. Their mistake should be left alone & you should be given the credit.

Kind of strange they are just contacting you now when this happened, the conversion a year ago. i contacted RCCL as i had several 12 nighters on Explorer of the Seas and in suites as well as 9 nighters in suites. I have only cruised since 2006. Count the nights I had way over 200...for some reason i am thinking I lost 36 nights as they also took away the credit for doing a 12 night cruise length. They apologized for the inconvenience...yep as had i known i would have been grandfathered i would have done a 3 nighter when we got off the allure inaugural last year and been diamond plus. Instead, became diamond plus on this past cruise. I was 4 credits short of diamond plus after all of this. The person who took care of me said I wouldn't miss the extra benefits as we were going on the Allure and that had a diamond lounge and same as concierge lounge. Ah no but whatever. Missed out on the extra discount for my back to back cruise next week as my final payment had already been made. So good luck. I have heard of several that they did change but not many people that i know who sail the explorer who were in same position.

I'm just amazed they found the error!

C&A has been down most of the day. Do you think they are doing some kind of audit?

they have been down off and on for several days. Several on my roll call contacted them and apparently they are dealing with a virus issue. Not sure about that but have seen the same reason given on other threads. I just now got on to make sure I had reservations done for my cruise the 5th.

its hit or miss and only some parts work.

Last year when the conversion took place I questioned the 25 credits. I was told (by the diamond+ desk) I was given an extra point because many of my cruises before the conversion were 9 and 12 day cruises. Now they are telling me that whoever told me that was incorrect so they are taking that credit away. I'm still D+ but the fact that the formula they used gave me less points than simply counting the nights at sea and now they're taking away more points, makes me feel as though they really don't value my business.

Missed out on the extra discount for my back to back cruise next week as my final payment had already been made. So good luck. I have heard of several that they did change but not many people that i know who sail the explorer who were in same position.

Did you call the C&A and speak to someone at the D+ desk about your additional balcony discount for making D+? I would call 1-800-526-9723 and press "9"during the greeting. Even though you've made final payment, you should still be entitled to the difference in balcony discount.

Last year when the conversion took place I questioned the 25 credits. I was told (by the diamond+ desk) I was given an extra point because many of my cruises before the conversion were 9 and 12 day cruises. Now they are telling me that whoever told me that was incorrect so they are taking that credit away. I'm still D+ but the fact that the formula they used gave me less points than simply counting the nights at sea and now they're taking away more points, makes me feel as though they really don't value my business.

I can't believe that they told you that you were given an extra credit due to many of your cruises being 9 and 12 night cruises. :eek: We lost 100+ points in the conversions because the vast majority of our cruises were 12+ days or longer in a JS and nobody felt we deserved additional points after the conversion.:( So, we take it with a grain of salt and move forward. :)

Archived