Passengers injured in bus accident

This doesn't say anything about cruise passengers, but this is the news report for a bus accident on St. Thomas this morning from the St. Thomas Source:

"13 Injured, 2 Badly, in Safari Bus Accident

By Source Staff — January 27, 2012

Two people have been “badly” injured and 11 others hurt in a Safari bus accident on Skyline Drive near Beacon Point overlook.

All passengers on the vehicle that ran off the road and into the bush were being transferred to Schneider Regional Medical Center, according to Christine Lett, public information officer for the V.I. Territory Emergency Management Agency.

Skyline Drive was closed to traffic between Mafolie Hill and Donoe bypass according to Melody Rames, V.I. Police Department public information officer. Motorists are asked to avoid the area by using Raphune Hill. Rames said the Tourist Oriented Police were at the scene to assist the passengers and to provide a link to the Tourism Department. Rames said along with V.I. Police Department officers, VITEMA, Fire Department and St. Thomas Rescue personnel also responded to the accident."

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2012/01/27/13-injured-2-badly-safari-bus-accident

This doesn't say anything about cruise passengers, but this is the news report for a bus accident on St. Thomas this morning from the St. Thomas Source:

"13 Injured, 2 Badly, in Safari Bus Accident

By Source Staff — January 27, 2012

Two people have been “badly” injured and 11 others hurt in a Safari bus accident on Skyline Drive near Beacon Point overlook.

All passengers on the vehicle that ran off the road and into the bush were being transferred to Schneider Regional Medical Center, according to Christine Lett, public information officer for the V.I. Territory Emergency Management Agency.

Skyline Drive was closed to traffic between Mafolie Hill and Donoe bypass according to Melody Rames, V.I. Police Department public information officer. Motorists are asked to avoid the area by using Raphune Hill. Rames said the Tourist Oriented Police were at the scene to assist the passengers and to provide a link to the Tourism Department. Rames said along with V.I. Police Department officers, VITEMA, Fire Department and St. Thomas Rescue personnel also responded to the accident."

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2012/01/27/13-injured-2-badly-safari-bus-accident

Any bus that carries passengers on Skyline Drive is carrying tourists from off a cruise ship. I just got word that this was a ship sponsored excursion.

Sorry, but calling those things a bus is a real misnomer. They are pickup trucks with the most rudimentary benches in the back where they cram as many people as possible and then drive in the most reckless fashion as they go around curves and up and down hills of the island. We have been on St Thomas twice in the past year and had several white knuckle rides on them...both Royal sponsored excursions and grabbing a "taxi" (they are also called safari taxis) from the port. On our last trip we came back to the ship in a real cab - a Ford Excursion - and the driver told us that St Thomas was in the process of outlawing these Safari Taxis due to the recent death of a tourist who fell out of one and the driver had no idea! You are truly cargo in one of these vehicles! Seat belts??? Ha!

Sorry, but calling those things a bus is a real misnomer. They are pickup trucks with the most rudimentary benches in the back where they cram as many people as possible and then drive in the most reckless fashion as they go around curves and up and down hills of the island. We have been on St Thomas twice in the past year and had several white knuckle rides on them...both Royal sponsored excursions and grabbing a "taxi" (they are also called safari taxis) from the port. On our last trip we came back to the ship in a real cab - a Ford Excursion - and the driver told us that St Thomas was in the process of outlawing these Safari Taxis due to the recent death of a tourist who fell out of one and the driver had no idea! You are truly cargo in one of these vehicles! Seat belts??? Ha!

Reminds me of an excursion I did on Aruba....not ship organised but a bunch of us hanging on for dear life in the back of a 4X4

Our taxi driver said the same thing recently. We waited for a closed taxi in St. Thomas because we didn't want to ride the open air ones. He told us that it would probably take someone dying due to an accident for them to get regulations in place. Shortly after, that girl fell out.

Reminds me of an excursion I did on Aruba....not ship organised but a bunch of us hanging on for dear life in the back of a 4X4

It's funny how people will not speak up when they are on vacation. You would probably never stand for that at home.

The second time we were on the Allure in November our family (6 of us) were going to take a cab to Cochi Beach and there was almost a fight in the "taxi" between passengers and the driver as he kept trying to jam as many folks into the "taxi" as possible! A couple of folks were going across the island to a dive trip they'd book independently and were about to miss the boat because of the delay to fill the "taxi". It's a different kind of cab experience when you are trying to get one the morning the Allure docks!

Our taxi driver said the same thing recently. We waited for a closed taxi in St. Thomas because we didn't want to ride the open air ones. He told us that it would probably take someone dying due to an accident for them to get regulations in place. Shortly after, that girl fell out.

I had really not given this issue much thought in the past. We have always opted for the open taxis as I prefer to be in fresh air rather than air conditioning. I may be down in the Caribbean next month with a very different attitude than what I have had previously.

We've done the open air safari truck/bus before on St Thomas before and it was great. The mountain roads can be skinny and steep. Drivers frequently smash their mirrors into each other.

And think nothing of it and keep right on going!:D

So is this the road to the top of the mountain so you can take pics of the ships down below?

I REALLY wanted to go up there for at least some photos but I dont want to fear for my life! :eek:

I dont think the cable cars are handicap accessible and I dont care for them anyway!

It's funny how people will not speak up when they are on vacation. You would probably never stand for that at home.

You are so right about this. I have a first grader who I would NEVER let ride at home without a booster seat, and haven't thought twice about putting her in a caribbean taxi (with who knows who driving) without one...and we'll be lucky if the thing has a working seatbelt! What is wrong with me? Do people take boosters along on cruises with them??

Prayers for all involved with the accident on St Thomas!

You are so right about this. I have a first grader who I would NEVER let ride at home without a booster seat, and haven't thought twice about putting her in a caribbean taxi (with who knows who driving) without one...and we'll be lucky if the thing has a working seatbelt! What is wrong with me? Do people take boosters along on cruises with them??

Prayers for all involved with the accident on St Thomas!

What good is a booster seat without seatbelts?

On one Royal excursion we were on one that barely had seats!! I know it had no springs or tread on the tires!!!

Oh, and if you think these "taxis" are handcaped accesable, think again. Everyone has trouble climbing up into them!

Ryano, the cable cars only take you part way up toe one side. You need transportation to go all the way up or to the other side

Thanks for the info! :) I just need a regular car taxi...........Do they have those?

Oh, and if you think these "taxis" are handcaped accesable, think again. Everyone has trouble climbing up into them!

So they dont have just regular car taxis? You couldnt tie me up and drag me on one these "buses"

I can transfer into a car with no problem though

Surely there is a way for people in wheelchairs to get to the top to take pics?

Archived