Passengers injured in bus accident

It's funny how people will not speak up when they are on vacation. You would probably never stand for that at home.

We did the jeep safari and my husband was such a crazy driver that I almost fell out a couple times but it was so much.

I hope everyone will be ok.

Thanks for the info! :) I just need a regular car taxi...........Do they have those?

So they dont have just regular car taxis? You couldnt tie me up and drag me on one these "buses"

I can transfer into a car with no problem though

Surely there is a way for people in wheelchairs to get to the top to take pics?

Yes, they have regular taxis-mostly minivans on the island. We've ridden in them on our own to the shopping areas, but the excursions tend to use the safari buses because they can get so many people on them. We've never had bad experiences on the safari buses, never felt afraid, but always glad to get to the beach or the pier.

Reminds me of our "ship sponsor" tour of Falmouth-Montego Bay last week. And we were on a bus. Never again will I take a tour in Montego Bay even though I use to enjoy going there. I am still wondering how we made it back to the ship safely. Our driver ran several red lights, took curves a little to fast and went down areas that made us wonder how the bus ever made it back to the ship.

The Safari Taxis are really large flat bed trucks with an almost useless cover fitted with benches. They operate on a time schedule and when there is a delay, the drivers make up the lost time using all available tactics. Just looking at them, I as a non mechanic, wonder about the mechanical functionality and safety.

when i was coming back from my cruise on Liberty we were back in FL and the bus driver that took us to the airport was driving in a crazy maner!!!! lets just say we almost crashed a few times and he was making jokes the whole time!!! it was scary!! they need to look into the drivers! :eek:

The bus driver was a Retired Police Officer on St. Thomas.

are you saying the driver that crashed with the RCCL passengers is a retired St Thomas cop?

Boy if they outlaw those open air trucks, there will be a million of them in the bone yard and not much left.....sitting on the ends is bad in those things with no seatbelts and Mario Andretti driving :) and if they roll, the middle isn't much better

Sorry, but calling those things a bus is a real misnomer. They are pickup trucks with the most rudimentary benches in the back where they cram as many people as possible and then drive in the most reckless fashion as they go around curves and up and down hills of the island. We have been on St Thomas twice in the past year and had several white knuckle rides on them...both Royal sponsored excursions and grabbing a "taxi" (they are also called safari taxis) from the port. On our last trip we came back to the ship in a real cab - a Ford Excursion - and the driver told us that St Thomas was in the process of outlawing these Safari Taxis due to the recent death of a tourist who fell out of one and the driver had no idea! You are truly cargo in one of these vehicles! Seat belts??? Ha!

My wife and I took this tour on our honeymoon cruise in July. We never felt safe on that this for all of the reasons in the above quote. It was a terrifying death trap and I could not wait to get back to the boat. Best of luck to those injured and recovering.

That excursion needs to be nixed off of Royal's list of possibles.

I just got off the Serenade this morning. Hope the reports of injuries are true because we were told last night by a crew member that there were 2 deaths. Don't know anything more than what I have read on this board.

Cruise Critic frequently seems to frequently have more reliable and current information.

I hope that what you posted is not the case....but shipboard rumors tend to run rampant. It's almost like a game of "telephone" or something. ...where the story gets worse the more times it is told.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

are you saying the driver that crashed with the RCCL passengers is a retired St Thomas cop?

Boy if they outlaw those open air trucks, there will be a million of them in the bone yard and not much left.....sitting on the ends is bad in those things with no seatbelts and Mario Andretti driving :) and if they roll, the middle isn't much better

Yes he is a Retired Police Officer on St. Thomas. There were no deaths in the accident.

Archived