Yet ANOTHER Formal Night Question

Scubagirl713

I am a shorts and tshirt girl who hates dressing up. However, the group of ladies I am going on the cruise with love it, so I am goning to be dressing up for at least 1 of the two formal nights on our cruise on the Legend this March. My question is, does formal automatically mean ballgown, or can I get away with a Von Feustenberg style black cocktail wrap dress and low kitten heels? Also, for the other formal night if I show up in black pants or a long skirt and a nice top will I be shunned? Help!:confused:

Formal doesn't HAVE to be a "Ballgown"...I think of yards and yards of material....an evening gown will do just fine! Slinky materials are easy to pack...they don't wrinkle and are formal! (I'm not talking about a maxi-dress now!!)

A cocktail dress is perfectly fine, too!

You will also see women in evening pants/sparkly top!

Scubagirl, your two elegant nights outfits sound perfect. The ladies in formal gowns are more the minority these days. If you feel like you need to jazz up your outfits, buy some "cruise jewelry" like a big cocktail ring and earrings. Be bold about it--wear things you'd normally not wear at home. So much fun. I love collecting "cruise Jewelry"--it makes any outfit feel dressier.

One pair of nice black slacks and 2 tops will do. Or, one little black dress with different accessories and wear it twice.

That way, you can go to both "elegant" nights and join your friends. Carnival has relaxed the rules for "formal" from what I read on these boards.

In reality I haven't seen a ballgown and rarely an evening gown on any mass market cruise ship formal night in several years. Many women wear long dresses, not so much evening gowns. I haven't packed a long dress since 2005 when I decided cocktail length was not only easier to pack, but more flaattering on me.

You will want to pick up some longer pants for the more casual evenings as well. Shorts and T's aren't what you want to be wearing to go to dinner. But, don't break the bank. Just like the elegant nights, one or two pair of pants (or capris if you like) and a couple tops that can be re-worn will do quite well. Just don't go out and buy a new outfit for every night of the cruise and select things you feel you will wear at home so you don't waste money on "cruise clothes".

Thanks everyone. I will be bringing a pair of black crepe pants and a couple little cardigans as well for non-formal nights. Nodogkisses, what a cool idea about the jewelry - I have always wanted to try and rock a silver "wonder woman" style cuff. No time like a cruise to bling it up!:D

In reality I haven't seen a ballgown and rarely an evening gown on any mass market cruise ship formal night in several years. Many women wear long dresses, not so much evening gowns. I haven't packed a long dress since 2005 when I decided cocktail length was not only easier to pack, but more flaattering on me.

Both in 2006 and 2011 I wore a long gown on the first elegant night on Carnival. Back in 2006 it was about half and half, in 2011 I was definitely in the minority but I didn't care. Because so few dressed up I got amazing oohs and ahhs and compliments from strangers as we passed them on the way to dinner.

IMG_0789.jpg

Sherilyn, you look lovely.

I totally agree! You look beautiful!

Scubagirl whatever you wear I hope you have a wonderful cruise! I'm wondering if you're the same scubagirl that gave me lots of great information about the Bahamas last year when I was looking for info before my cruise there?

My "uniform" for Elegant Nights is a pair of black dressy knit pants, paired with a dressy black-tshirt. Then I put some sort of light-weight jacket or dressy sheer blouse on top.

I have to have pockets in my clothes, and my pants pockets can hold my sign & sail card, and a bit of cash for the piano player. Sometimes even my small camera, depending on how long the over-jacket is.

Scubagirl, your two elegant nights outfits sound perfect. The ladies in formal gowns are more the minority these days. If you feel like you need to jazz up your outfits, buy some "cruise jewelry" like a big cocktail ring and earrings. Be bold about it--wear things you'd normally not wear at home. So much fun. I love collecting "cruise Jewelry"--it makes any outfit feel dressier.

Perfect advice! I've been on three different cruiselines and each one has all types of dressers, especially during the formal nights. Enjoy yourself, you'll have that special glow because you're relaxed and on your vacation.

Both in 2006 and 2011 I wore a long gown on the first elegant night on Carnival. Back in 2006 it was about half and half, in 2011 I was definitely in the minority but I didn't care. Because so few dressed up I got amazing oohs and ahhs and compliments from strangers as we passed them on the way to dinner.

IMG_0789.jpg

I don't see your dress as a ballgown, rather a long evening dress. Very pretty and becoming on you.

A ballgown to me has a full skirt with lots of bling, when we were first cruising there were women wearing full on ballgowns. Over the years it has changed quite a bit, first from ballgown and tux, then evening gown and suits, now cocktail dresses and sportscoats are considered formal attire.

Great advice from all of you.......it seems that "dressed up" means different things to different people......I say go for what is most comfortable on you and you will rock the place.......nothing like an "uncomfortable" outfit to put a frown on your face.

I usually wear dressy black pants and a long flowly hand painted silk top that will never go out of style.......for me.....the more bling the better....I have never felt out of place on any of the cruises I have been on. The top folds into a gallon baggie and is so easy to travel with and black pants can be dressed up or down. I usually think in terms of traveling light.....

Have fun all of you..........

Dee

Next cruise Holland America in May

Now that the airlines charge for bags, we are taking only one suitcase to carry everything in. So cocktail dresses are more what you see on the ships nowdays, usually made of some type of polyester, they can be rolled up to save room.

The DD and I love formal night! Just don't get to dress up that often. The DH and DS, DS, can't wait to change after dinner and pictures:D, speaking of pictures, that is usually the only nice family picture we have taken. I am always the one TAKING the pictures all the rest of the time.

If you don't want to dress up for formal dinner you can always go to the cafeteria.........they really don't care what you wear!

Have fun on your cruises

Since I live in metro Chicago and with the MAJOR restrictions by the airlines on luggage I no longer will pack VERY dressy clothes even though I have a BUNCH.

When I cruise now I pack a pair of black silky pants, a black mid-calf skirt and a bunch of tops ranging from VERY dressy to simple. That also means 1 pair of dinner shoes and bag.

Archived