Best lens for a cruise

taffy12

I agree Terry! While I really like my Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G kit lens for general walking around, I'm now about 95% convinced to get a faster prime lens. I'm seriously considering the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX lens since I have a DX body. The price is right (around $200) and with the 1.5 multiplier factor on the DX body, it would be equivalent to a ~52mm lens which I understand is what the eye sees.

The 35mm f/1.8 is an outstanding lens.

I have a D7000 with the Nikon 18-200mm and got the 35mm f/1.8 for use in low light situations. As it turns out, I rarely take it off the camera. From my experience, the 35mm has proven much more useful on a cropped sensor than a 50mm.

I love my 50mm fixed lens! Yes, its great in low light but it is also super sharp with a closed aperture. Granted the zoom lenses are great for framing but the 50mm is so light and little! No worries about fitting it in the bag if rain shows or bumping it or any of that stuff. I have gotten some great aquarium shots with my 50mm at our local public aquarium. They came out a ton better then my 60mm macro lens :rolleyes:

That is why I suggested the 50mm fixed lens as the one to bring. It is very versatile. The only draw back for me is the focal length ... you have to back up a bit more with the 50mm then you would with a standard zoom.

Here is a shot using the 50mm with a higher F/stop (f/4.0)

As you can see the picture is sharp. At the same time I was on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras with about 2 million drunks. Having the smaller lens helped in navigating through the crowds!!

6905949835_b5d91c89dd.jpg

You can go for those super dark/low light shots with them and then take something with the lower aperture and get a great shot.

Nice pic! :)

The 35mm f/1.8 is an outstanding lens.

I have a D7000 with the Nikon 18-200mm and got the 35mm f/1.8 for use in low light situations. As it turns out, I rarely take it off the camera. From my experience, the 35mm has proven much more useful on a cropped sensor than a 50mm.

Thanks so much for the info about the 35mm f/1.8. I have a D90 and am thinking it will work great on that. My only thought is how good can a $200 lens be? But, I shouldn't complain about the price.

Paula

Thanks so much for the info about the 35mm f/1.8. I have a D90 and am thinking it will work great on that. My only thought is how good can a $200 lens be? But, I shouldn't complain about the price.

Paula

The answer is "surprisingly good".

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1243/cat/12

Dave

Paula

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing, but it outshines my $750 18-200mm. My next lens is the 24-70 f2.8 nikkor

This one shows the how shallow a depth of field you can get (only the eyes are in focus) with the 35mm f1.8 paired with a D7000

6857242568_36186f3d8d_c.jpg

This one shows a greater depth of field

7003351319_c835083c3d_c.jpg

(My 4 month old son -- Not that I'm a proud dad or anything) :)

I know what you mean, I thought the same thing, but it outshines my $750 18-200mm.

The newest Nikkor 50mm 1.4G is only $450 and an absolutely fantastic lens. My former, the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (the one I used for some of the shots in my above post) can be had for around $100 and is more than adequate. There are GREAT lenses to be had for relatively cheap, just gotta do the research. :)

My next lens is the 24-70 f2.8 nikkor

The G lens? You will absolutely adore it. Promise!

The newest Nikkor 50mm 1.4G is only $450 and an absolutely fantastic lens. My former, the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (the one I used for some of the shots in my above post) can be had for around $100 and is more than adequate. There are GREAT lenses to be had for relatively cheap, just gotta do the research. :)

The G lens? You will absolutely adore it. Promise!

I have used the 50MM 1.4G and it is excellent. I plan on getting one once I upgrade to full frame.

I have also used the 50mm f/1.2 AI-s and it is outstanding (although it takes a lot more work)

Yes on the G lens. My Uncle has both the 24-70G f/2.8 and the 70-200G f/2.8 and I get to use them about once a month. LOVE them both.

First purchase is the 24-70, then upgrade to Full Frame.

I take many lenses. I have a few Canon L lenses that I use with my EOS 60D. One of the lenses I always take on a cruise just happens to be a Sigma 10-20mm lens. This was taken on P&O's Arcadia which is a Vista class ship.

466927_10150627707904037_519959036_9274015_1773900486_o.jpg

Dave I was already thinking why should this shot be tilted? Your comment cracked me up LOL.

framer

As it turns out, the cruise line did not hire me to take promotional photos of their ship for advertising and marketing purposes. I was on vacation and taking casual photos to my liking.

I always find it interesting the different types of people who come to find photography as a hobby or profession and how they come to treat each other. Or maybe sad rather than interesting. It's a shame some feel the need to attempt to tear down others in an effort to build themselves up.

As it turns out, the cruise line did not hire me to take promotional photos of their ship for advertising and marketing purposes. I was on vacation and taking casual photos to my liking.

I always find it interesting the different types of people who come to find photography as a hobby or profession and how they come to treat each other. Or maybe sad rather than interesting. It's a shame some feel the need to attempt to tear down others in an effort to build themselves up.

Walk not on eggs! My comment was meant as humor, not a sneer at what was an obviously intentional tilt for effect. If your shots were poorly composed or the white-balance was way off, I might have offered some constructive comments but certainly no mocking. I am also of the opinion that you can't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out another's flame.

If you read back through some of my posts here over the last eight or nine years, you would see that I have made a habit of trying to offer what help and answers I could to any who ask. I have been shooting since I was about ten years old and have always supported any who share my enthusiasm for photography.

I won't apologize since no offense was meant but I hope you now better understand my intent.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Walk not on eggs! My comment was meant as humor, not a sneer at what was an obviously intentional tilt for effect. If your shots were poorly composed or the white-balance was way off, I might have offered some constructive comments but certainly no mocking. I am also of the opinion that you can't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out another's flame.

If you read back through some of my posts here over the last eight or nine years, you would see that I have made a habit of trying to offer what help and answers I could to any who ask. I have been shooting since I was about ten years old and have always supported any who share my enthusiasm for photography.

I won't apologize since no offense was meant but I hope you now better understand my intent.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Dave, no offense taken by your remark. Promise. The subsequent post by framer? Yes, I found his a bit rude.

Just wanted to show the ability of the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens is all. :)

better lens for ships interior pics.....11-16mm or 50mm?

Go wide. As big as they are these days, ships still make concessions to how much they have to cram into a floatable hull.

Dave

I am also of the opinion that you can't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out another's flame. Dave

This is the first time I have heard this phrase and it is wonderfully affirming and very smart. Appreciate your sharing "you can't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out another's flame."

Your contributions to these boards have been very good and helpful. Keep up the good works.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 70,503 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 63,945 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Well, I did it!!! I just ordered the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens from B&H Photo. Since I live in New Jersey, they are estimating arrival date of tomorrow. YIPPEE!!! I have things to do tomorrow and Thursday so won't be able to pick it up until Friday, but that's ok. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Paula

Well, I did it!!! I just ordered the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens from B&H Photo. Since I live in New Jersey, they are estimating arrival date of tomorrow. YIPPEE!!! I have things to do tomorrow and Thursday so won't be able to pick it up until Friday, but that's ok. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Paula

You'll love it :)

Archived