Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

I've been reading (go figure!) about other cruiseship accidents, including a couple on HAL ships. The reason was to figure out what was different, what was similar. I found some. Beaching the ship, when possible, seems to be pretty common. At least half lied to the passengers about the severity of the problem. Whether they lied or immediately told passengers to muster, the length of time from accident to actual evacuation of passengers seems to range from about an hour to as much as 8 hours.

But here's the thing I find most disturbing.

I haven't read one...not one...account in which they were able to evacuate all the passengers on the lifeboats.

It doesn't seem to change with the numbers on board, either. Generally, it's been a matter more of luck than good planning that there were few, if any, fatalities. Often lifeboats were sent out overloaded, like in the case of the Concordia, and they still couldn't evacuate everyone that way.

Are the industry-wide marine standards for lifeboats inadequate?

One thing to consider. Don't book a cabin on the lowest decks. In the past I did not take that in consideration and also sometimes booked guarantees. In light of the sinking I am thinking in the future a middle deck or higher and no more guarantees.

Oh my - more bad news for Carnival Corporation......

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/05/carnival-idUSL2E8D50S620120205

Noro Virus has been reported on all cruise ships and on land,

Yesterday it was reported that there was Noro aboard NCL (Norwegial Cruise Line) Oasis of the Seas, Ruby Princess and Crown Princess.

Now, if they'd also report that there is a hospital in Massachusetts that had over 100 cases (more than 1/2 of it's patients) had Noro Virus last week.

They also do not seem to report the virus is usually contracted on airplanes or...

OK, back to the topic of Concordia....Any idea when the storm or rough weather is supposed to hit??

Joanie

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Italy/GiglioPorto/Wind.htm

Looks as if wind gusts will be the problem.

It's been three weeks now, and it's always something. :confused:

Windy choppy conditions seem to be the norm for that location.

Hopefully it's just a wintry-weather syndrome that'll ease by Summer.

By which time...................

Thanks for the link. Looks like they will not even be able to start up again until at least Wednesday:(

Hate to think what the wind and wave action will do to the ship:eek:

Joanie

Unfortunatly they are having a fearsome winter in Europe.

First snow in Rome in 26 years. Look at the pictures in this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096402/Rome-snow-Colosseum-closes-drivers-abandon-cars.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

O.K. That's the trouble with factual accurracy......sometimes spoils a good story! :)

LOL!

Don't you wish they began all news stories appropriately, with "Once upon a time..."?

Please do take into consideration, however, that I'm quoting from the news agencies as well. I just try to get closer to the original source.

Unfortunatly they are having a fearsome winter in Europe.

First snow in Rome in 26 years. Look at the pictures in this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096402/Rome-snow-Colosseum-closes-drivers-abandon-cars.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Wow! That's really something. We're not that far from Yorkshire and we didn't get any.

Of course, I'm a transplanted Canadian so we'd deal with it. You have to look up "White Death - the Blizzard of '77" to see what we consider life-threatening snowfalls...

Noro Virus has been reported on all cruise ships and on land,

Yesterday it was reported that there was Noro aboard NCL (Norwegial Cruise Line) Oasis of the Seas, Ruby Princess and Crown Princess.

Now, if they'd also report that there is a hospital in Massachusetts that had over 100 cases (more than 1/2 of it's patients) had Noro Virus last week.

They also do not seem to report the virus is usually contracted on airplanes or...

OK, back to the topic of Concordia....Any idea when the storm or rough weather is supposed to hit??

Joanie

Joanie

Are you certain there was a NCL (Norwegian) ship involved ? The Oasis if the Seas is a RCL (Royal Caribbean) ship.

John

My, my, never said it was JUST on a Carnival Corp owned ship. Looks like another case of Chinese whispers.... The point I was trying to make is it's not looking good for the CCorp to have this on top of the Costa disaster. Nothing more, nothing less. :)

we have schools and hospitals coming down with the virus so it isn't just on a carnival owned ship

John you are right, I meant to say RCL not NCL.... Dumb blond moment there:o

Joanie

Careful about your comments in reference to blondes. ;) You may want to add a disclaimer stating you are only referring to yourself. ;) :p :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone remember exactly how many Americans were on Concordia? I believe I heard 129 but I know the number kept changing.

Thanks

Careful about your comments in reference to blondes. ;) You may want to add a disclaimer stating you are only referring to yourself. ;) :p :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone remember exactly how many Americans were on Concordia? I believe I heard 129 but I know the number kept changing.

Thanks

I am a Dirty Blond (COLORING of Hair, not morals:D) And I was very dumb in stating NCL instead of RCL... Therefore I am a Dumb Blond:D

I believe the count for Americans was 120. But I cannot remember for sure.

Joanie

If you like insulting articles, you will love this one ...

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/chicken-8349-columbia-concordia.html

While this person insulted just about anyone that likes to cruise, suggesting that cruisers are asking for the aggressivness of Al-Qaeda is unbelievable. What an idiotic comment. He then sticks his foot in his pea brain even further to talk of all the self-indulgent Americans on board.

People died as a result of this accident. People are still missing from various countries and 2 of them his own fellow Americans. From reports we have heard, the Heil's were a long married couple, fine parents and grandparents, and upstanding citizens of their community. We have no reason to believe they, along with the others that are confirmed dead or still listed as missing were not the same... people loved by many they left behind. For him to have reduced them, along with any of the passengers on Concordia to "gluttonous cruise-crazy passengers" shows him to be a heartless idiot.

We have seen some humor, mostly directed at Captain Coward. To pick on the passengers of Concordia is not humorous.

While this person insulted just about anyone that likes to cruise, suggesting that cruisers are asking for the aggressivness of Al-Qaeda is unbelievable. What an idiotic comment. He then sticks his foot in his pea brain even further to talk of all the self-indulgent Americans on board.

People died as a result of this accident. People are still missing from various countries and 2 of them his own fellow Americans. From reports we have heard, the Heil's were a long married couple, fine parents and grandparents, and upstanding citizens of their community. We have no reason to believe they, along with the others that are confirmed dead or still listed as missing were not the same... people loved by many they left behind. For him to have reduced them, along with any of the passengers on Concordia to "gluttonous cruise-crazy passengers" shows him to be a heartless idiot.

We have seen some humor, mostly directed at Captain Coward. To pick on the passengers of Concordia is not humorous.

Just another idiot journalist trying to make fun of others misery........... and make sure he gets a response

Out of deference to the victims, this journalist should be forced to watch this video of the names of photos of the dead and missing non-stop for a week or two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYVatDXUUE

Since there were only about 120 Americans on the ship versus around 3000 passengers, it is hardly about Americans.

Those that are scheduled to take a cruise in the future don't need to read about the Al-Qaeda references.

Shame on you Ron Hart! :(

Just another idiot journalist trying to make fun of others misery........... and make sure he gets a response

I admit my first thought was to respond to him in an email. I decided I didn't want to give him that satisfaction so I posted it here.

cruiserfanfromct, you give him too much credit calling him a "journalist."

The author of this article has gone to the top of my:

"The guy I'd most like to have a beer with List"

Sorry to say......it now puts you in a very different catagory, at least in my mind.

What this idiot was trying to say.....Fat Americans, etc.... is he a jourinist......or a satire columnist?:rolleyes:

There are no facts (give me one, besides the ship is "on the rocks")

and this just takes up space in a newspaper.

Uniall........be my guest to have a beer with this guy! I can stand posters here.......very unprofessional, but need to say their peace.....but this guy......needs to find another job. Maybe he will become the "Economic Guru......for the next admistration........as he sure can lie.....and I'll bet that he is in the top 10 for Obamas new cabinet!

Oh, let's come up with a new drink.........in the name of Captain that purposely sank the Carnival cruise line, attached to Italy, so it must be the Carnival Italian subdivision......Costalot drink. It's a combo, of the best Russian Vodka, a sprinkle of Itialian Chablis, and to top it off. Uzzo..from Greece.

Well, I'm having a shot.......of the great stuff.....so don't expect me to spell it correctly till the morning.:D

Rick

Archived