Stockholm - Know what I want to do; how do I get to them?

pappy3393

A little background: will be in Stockholm on a Wednesday (evening) and a Thursday (until 5 PM) in late June; ship docks at Frihamnen

Sites on our list: Vasa, Skansen, the Royal Palace & Gamla Stan

It looks like bus 76 is our ticket to all of these sites - at least it gets us close. Is that true? Are there other forms of transportation needed from where the bus stops or better options? What is the cost and what is the best way to get an all day bus pass, or is it even worth it? What is the bus schedule and the earliest we could catch the bus at Frihamnen?

I am not sure what we will be able to do on the first day (Wednesday) since we will be arriving from the US that day and won't get to the ship until around 5 PM. My thoughts are to get a good nights sleep and have a full day on Thursday.

We are on Crystal so another assumption is that they will have a bus to/from the city center. I thought I would take public transportation in the morning and use the Crystal bus when we head back to the ship.

Given the 4 sites we want to see and given that we may wind up spending more time than originally planned at any one site; how would you rank the 4 sites on our list in order of priority? My instincts wonder if Skansen is worth the time but on the other hand it seems interesting. Can we do it all and not be rushed?

A little background: will be in Stockholm on a Wednesday (evening) and a Thursday (until 5 PM) in late June; ship docks at Frihamnen

Sites on our list: Vasa, Skansen, the Royal Palace & Gamla Stan....

Given the 4 sites we want to see and given that we may wind up spending more time than originally planned at any one site; how would you rank the 4 sites on our list in order of priority? My instincts wonder if Skansen is worth the time but on the other hand it seems interesting. Can we do it all and not be rushed?

No question that the top priority should be Vasa (unique in the entire world and not to be missed); then you can debate the rest.

I personally would say Gamla Stan, then City Hall (not the Royal Palace), and Skansen last. I now have been twice in Stockholm, and fortunately my June 2011 visit was four days post-cruise, including an opportunity to be at Skansen once again, this time for the festival on Midsummer's Night Eve day. I enjoyed it, but the other three were much higher on my preference list.

Sites on our list: Vasa, Skansen, the Royal Palace & Gamla Stan

It looks like bus 76 is our ticket to all of these sites - at least it gets us close. Is that true? Are there other forms of transportation needed from where the bus stops or better options? What is the cost and what is the best way to get an all day bus pass, or is it even worth it? What is the bus schedule and the earliest we could catch the bus at Frihamnen?

I am not sure what we will be able to do on the first day (Wednesday) since we will be arriving from the US that day and won't get to the ship until around 5 PM. My thoughts are to get a good nights sleep and have a full day on Thursday.

We are on Crystal so another assumption is that they will have a bus to/from the city center. I thought I would take public transportation in the morning and use the Crystal bus when we head back to the ship.

Yes bus 76 will work for all of the sites you mentioned. You will have to walk a short distance from the stops.

Archived