Bag size on European airlines?

World Gallery

I understand that bag weight is going to be less than US airlines (44 lbs vs 50 lbs.) We are flying Delta over to Europe but are probably using Norwegian Air Shuttle or Vueling for a domesic flight to Copenhagen. Does it matter what the overall size of the checked-in luggage pieces are? Our suitcases are the largest size that they sell in the USA, the very typical, rolling, large suitcase (not super, unusually large). I am wondering if I need to buy new ones.

Also, what about carry-on pieces? Again, we have the very typical, carry-on, small, rectangle suitcases.

For checked baggage, weight will matter BIG TIME. You typical large American bag may meet the size restriction, but when you fill it up it will probably blow past the weight limits.

You should check each airline's web site clearly for their luggage rules.

Then think wisely before you pack. And bringing a portable scale is not such a bad idea. 20 kg is not the same as 20.01 kg. They will nail you if your max is 20 and you are at 20.01.

As for buying new bags, well, that comes at a cost too. You need to do your math.

As for carry-on bags, you will find that your typical "small" American roll-aboard rectangular suitcase often exceeds the European airlines limits. And when they say "one item", then mean one item, not 1 rollaboard + 1 purse + 1 umbrella. That would be 3 items. Carry-on items often go through sizers, and if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. And by "fit" they mean including wheels and handles. So check the size for your airline and check your bags. Also, they sometime weigh carry-on luggage at the gate. There are weight limits for carry-on, and you need to stay within those limits too. Yes, it's hard for Americans to get used to travel lights. I will admit it's hard for anyone to travel light when going on multiple weeks of cruises and loading up on souvenirs. Best to be informed and prepared.

I understand that bag weight is going to be less than US airlines (44 lbs vs 50 lbs.) We are flying Delta over to Europe but are probably using Norwegian Air Shuttle or Vueling for a domesic flight to Copenhagen. Does it matter what the overall size of the checked-in luggage pieces are? Our suitcases are the largest size that they sell in the USA, the very typical, rolling, large suitcase (not super, unusually large). I am wondering if I need to buy new ones.

Also, what about carry-on pieces? Again, we have the very typical, carry-on, small, rectangle suitcases.

I will reiterate that your large suitcases may very easily be overweight if you fill them. You'll need to check the airline website to see if there are limits on the linear measurements. As for your carry on, again- check the website, but understand that with European "value" carriers it is not uncommon for carry on bags to have weight limits as well; often the limit is 22 lbs.

Okay, maybe I am just tired (or stupid) but my husband (an engineer) and myself cannot figure this out. Can anyone make sense of this? It is the max. checked bag size they will take on Norwegian Air Shuttle:

We accept baggage with a total circumference of 300cm where the maximum dimensions are: length 250cm, height 79cm, width 112cm.

It seems to contradict itself. When I add the #'s, I get 441 cm, which exceeds the total circumference.

My suitcase with wheels is:

79 cm top to bottom (measured along the side)

50 cm across the top (length)

32 cm width

Thanks.

Okay, maybe I am just tired (or stupid) but my husband (an engineer) and myself cannot figure this out. Can anyone make sense of this? It is the max. checked bag size they will take on Norwegian Air Shuttle:

We accept baggage with a total circumference of 300cm where the maximum dimensions are: length 250cm, height 79cm, width 112cm.

It seems to contradict itself. When I add the #'s, I get 441 cm, which exceeds the total circumference.

No contradiction. Every airline in the world has a rule like this. Each of the three dimensions have maximums, and their combination has a maximum too. You cannot have a bag that maximizes all three. Just because you can check an 8-foot long surfboard, doesn't mean you can check an 8-foot long loveseat.

Further, know that the circumference is not the sum of all the numbers. It's the perimeter. Which is 2 times the sum of two sides.

My suitcase with wheels is:

79 cm top to bottom (measured along the side)

50 cm across the top (length)

32 cm width

Each of the 3 dimensions works. Watch out for the 79 cm, make sure it includes wheels and handles.

As for the circumference (perimeter), if they measure 2x(50+32)=164 you are good. I think this is what they will measure, being the reasonable Norwegian. If they were RyanAir they would be measuring 2x(79+50), which would put you over the top.

But will you be filling your large suitcase with pillows? Norwegian has a maximum weight of 20 kilos (44 pounds) per piece, after which they charge €. And just about the only way to keep that suitcase full and not overweight is by filling it with pillows. I would guess that the empty suitcase alone weighs something like 6 or 7 kilos.

BTW, you would have ran into exactly the same problems on Spanair. It's just European travel. Good thing you are planning ahead.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I have printed it out. That makes perfect sense about the weight when you fill up a large suitcase. I guess I will be buying more medium size suitcases (I only have 2) and asking around to borrow some, since we need 7.

On some airlines that fly in Europe, the carry on bag size and weight are much more limited than what we are used to in the USA. Sometimes the weight (empty) of a bag with wheels, makes using that bag inpractical.

I gave up using a carry on bag with wheels for that reason. My wheel-free bag weighs 3.3 pounds empty and about 14 pounds packed and ready to go.

My checked bag never weighs more than 35 pounds. That keeps me under the 44 pound limit and is a bag weight that I can handle on my own.

Has anyone ever tried that luggage brand, "World's Lightest"? It weighs 4.67 for the medium size piece (25 inch). It is amazing how light it feels. I bought a piece but am saving the receipt until I read some reviews (but can't find any by Googling). The fabric seems thin but it states it contains fiberglass for durability. They had a ton of them at TJ Max.

Has anyone ever tried that luggage brand, "World's Lightest"? It weighs 4.67 for the medium size piece (25 inch). It is amazing how light it feels. I bought a piece but am saving the receipt until I read some reviews (but can't find any by Googling). The fabric seems thin but it states it contains fiberglass for durability. They had a ton of them at TJ Max.

I've been looking for new luggage and found that the brand I prefer runs around 8-9 lbs for a 26" bag. I'll check this brand out.

Archived