Picture-A-Week 2012 - Week 5

pierces

No, I didn’t take this photo of the Emerald Princess this week. But, in a few days we will be on her again for a fantastic 20 days to escape the winter in Maryland. (Which we really haven’t had here.) I promise to use my camera and take at least a picture a day. :D

original.jpg

:D:D

Larry

Blueboss, no offense, but those are some of the ugliest birds ever! lol! What are they?

Prarie Gal, they are Lavander Guineas. Yep, they are ugly, but they eat ticks and bugs in the yard. They also raise all kinds of ruckus if something comes in the yard that isn't supposed to be here, human or animal. They are my "Redneck" alarm system. :D

Well this week I received my new camera and new lens...so this week's photos were all about testing out the new combo. I picked up the NEX-5N along with the SEL55-210mm lens to replace my NEX3 as a second body alongside my DSLR. And though the 55-210mm length isn't technically a birding lens, and my DSLR will remain my birding rig, I decided to really challenge myself and the new camera by going out birding on Saturday without the DSLR and big birding lenses, forcing me to adapt to the NEX-5N quickly and pushing the 55-210mm lens to its limits.

The good news is that those limits are quite high, and everything performed admirably! Here are a few shots from Saturday, birding with the NEX-5N and 55-210mm lens:

Female red-winged blackbird on a reed:

original.jpg

Male red-winged blackbird calling out alarm on the handrail (I was the thing he was warning about!):

original.jpg

Nice tight closeup with a tricolor heron from about 6 feet away:

original.jpg

Such fun variety of shots! I was in Santa Fe...the National Cematery is there.....we had snow the night before!

If you just stare at this awhile...it looks like it's a picture of white blocks!!

ry%3D400

I've really enjoyed everyones pictures....now....pictures for next week!:)

Archived