Does this sound right for a budget airline?

World Gallery

I am very grateful for all of the advice. I am getting ready to book flights, one way from Barcelona to Copenhagen but when I think about it, these prices sounds high to me for a low-cost airline. Norwegian Air Shuttle is 5 euros less than Vueling.

The cost for a one way ticket is 75Euros plus 8 euros to check a bag and 8 euros to get an assigned seat for Norwegian Air Shuttle. So we are looking at $120 USD per person (includes all fees), one way for a short flight. This is for a June flight on a Friday. The Saturday and Sunday after this date are 20 euros higher.

Does this sound high or is this what I can expect to pay?

I am very grateful for all of the advice. I am getting ready to book flights, one way from Barcelona to Copenhagen but when I think about it, these prices sounds high to me for a low-cost airline. Norwegian Air Shuttle is 5 euros less than Vueling.

The cost for a one way ticket is 75Euros plus 8 euros to check a bag and 8 euros to get an assigned seat for Norwegian Air Shuttle. So we are looking at $120 USD per person (includes all fees), one way for a short flight. This is for a June flight on a Friday. The Saturday and Sunday after this date are 20 euros higher.

A common point of confusion is "low cost carrier". That means it's low cost to them (the company), not necessarily you as the customer.

But, lets move on. $120 for a flight of 1100 miles, slightly further than New Orleans to Albuquerque or New Orleans to Philadelphia. Not really "short". Fuel is very expensive in Europe...labor is very expensive in Europe...aircraft are very expensive everywhere, and these airlines use new aircraft. Put that all together and $120 including everything sounds like a very good price to me, especially during the busiest travel season on a busy travel day (Friday).

Looks OK to me, just checked prices on a UK website £77.50 plus 20 euros per bag, total 110 euros with no info re boarding/seating. Have you looked at Iberia, operated by Vueling, £74 with 1 checked bag free, tho' the pricing from a US site may (will?) be different

"Low cost" airlines in Europe are notorious for very low headline fares that escalate rapidly when you add boarding, baggage, food, drinks, you name it they charge for it. A recent comparison in a newspaper for UK to Spain showed how fares of £45, £52, £76 turned into £115, £110, £76, these are from memory so not exactly accurate but approx, apart from the £76 which was BA.

I just took a look at Iberia (operated by Vueling) and in USD, it is $99. I am wondering why there is no baggage fees if Vueling is operating the flight. Vueling does have baggage fees. Confused?

Well, maybe not. This price was on Expedia but when I tried to book it, it said it wasn't available. So I went to Iberia directly and I don't see this same flight (a non-stop, 11:20 flight). I see others that are not non-stop and cost more.:confused:

Isn't that what you had paid for Spanair and never complained? Why are you thinking those prices sound high now? Did they not sound high when it was Spanair?

And this is not exactly a "short" flight, as you label it. It is comparable to MSY-DEN, for which America's low-cost airline charges a minimum of $145. If anything, $120 sounds cheap for such a flight.

And what is the alternative, anyway? Bus?

There's a big danger that the fare will jump. That can happen literally within minutes. If it does, the 5 Euros you're worried about will seem a pittance in retrospect.

Also there seems to be a misconception in your post that fares should be more or less a fixed price per mile. To a small extent yes, but other things affect fares far more (route, date and time of travel, fuel prices, competitive environment, etc).

Book ASAP- my $0.02 worth.

I am booked! Thanks for all of the advice.

My total, with baggage fees and seat assignments prepaid is 650 Euros, which is $858 USD. It is $22 more per person than Spanair but I am pleased that I have a non-stop flight and that this is finished!

Thanks.

My total, with baggage fees and seat assignments prepaid is 650 Euros, which is $858 USD. It is $22 more per person than Spanair but I am pleased that I have a non-stop flight and that this is finished!

Thanks.

Now I am confused??? :confused: In your first post you stated the fare was $120, and now you post that you paid $858!? :confused:

I'll take a wild guess that you are booking for more than one person? That would explain the $858 fare....

Yes, we are a family of 7. We have 5 kids. Anything times 7 adds up! That is why I do as much research as I can before booking. Every dollar counts with our big family!

That makes since then. I am now no longer confused. :D

Thanks.

Congrats. Just curious... did you end up picking Norwegian or Vueling?

And if you remember, perhaps you can report after your flight, so that others can benefit from your experience.

Archived