Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Here we go.......Its now going to be everyone for themselves........

Watch Management and the officers start flinging the dirt to implicate each other

Costa Concordia: Pre-trial hearing begins in Italy

_58651642_014016117-1.jpg The wreck still lies off the Tuscan coast

Continue reading the main story Cruise disaster

Key information about the capsizing of the Costa Concordia cruise ship is being handed over to a panel of experts during a pre-trial hearing in Italy.

At least 30 people are believed to have died when the ship struck rocks off the Tuscan coast on 13 January.

Captain Francesco Schettino denies accusations of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all those aboard were evacuated.

He will not attend the hearing, in the town of Grosseto, his lawyer says.

Bruno Leporatti said it would be "unnecessary" for Mr Schettino to leave his home in the town of Meta di Sorrento, near Naples - where he is under house arrest - to attend the hearing.

"Perhaps with this climate that has been created around him, [it would be] also a little dangerous for him," he said.

Panel of experts Mr Schettino's brother-in-law has said that the captain is feeling both depressed and scared as he watches the inquiry unfold, and that the deaths of those who did not survive are weighing heavily upon him.

His lawyer added that Mr Schettino was "stunned" by the accident.

Continue reading the main story “Start Quote

He is a man who has feelings, who is pained over what happened”

Bruno Leporatti Mr Schettino's lawyer

"He is a man who has feelings, who is pained over what happened," he said.

Some 250 people have gathered in a theatre in Grosseto that has become the venue for the hearing, according to Italy's La Repubblica newspaper.

The number is expected to swell further as 70 lawyers and their teams, representing survivors and relatives of victims, continue to arrive.

No journalists or members of the public are allowed to attend.

During the hearing, judges will question experts about the wrecking of the 114,500-tonne liner.

Investigators who have been amassing evidence and testimony since the crash will hand it over to a court-appointed panel of experts made up of two naval experts and two academics.

The BBC's Alan Johnston, in Rome, says these four will have the task of trying to reconstruct what happened and apportion degrees of culpability and blame. He says the process will probably take months.

The ship, carrying 4,200 passengers and crew, had its hull ripped open when it hit rocks in darkness, just hours into a Mediterranean cruise.

'I messed up' The company, part of the world's largest cruise operator Carnival Corp, has blamed Mr Schettino for the accident.

_58852716_013836603-1.jpg The ship's first officer, Ciro Ambrosio, is one of those under investigation

Costa Cruises has said it has "complete faith in the judicial system" and has offered its "fullest collaboration" with the Italian authorities.

The investigation will also look at the decisions and actions of Costa's vice-president, Manfred Ursprunger, and the head of its crisis unit, Roberto Ferrarini, with whom Mr Schettino was in contact during the evacuation.

The ship's first officer, Ciro Ambrosio, is also under investigation. An Italian newspaper, Il Fatto Quotidiano, has published a leak of an account said to have been given by the second-in-command to the inquiry.

In it, he says that Capt Schettino had explicitly taken sole command of the ship on the approach to the island. At the last moment, he realised he was too close and ordered a sharp turn away but it was too late and the ship hit the rocks.

Speaking in Neapolitan dialect, the captain is then reported to have said: "I messed up", according to the newspaper.

It reports that, according to Mr Ambrosio, Mr Schettino was reluctant to acknowledge the gravity of the crisis and was not truthful when the coastguard began demanding information.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9120600/Costa-Concordia-captain-not-wearing-his-glasses-at-time-of-collision.html

Would his cabin not be located beside the bridge that he could have gone and got them rather quickly??

Maybe he was ogling Dominica while seranading her with an old song: "I only have eyes for you" :eek:

//

Edited by Uniall

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9120600/Costa-Concordia-captain-not-wearing-his-glasses-at-time-of-collision.html

Would his cabin not be located beside the bridge that he could have gone and got them rather quickly??

Surely you don't expect the captain to be wearing an old man's glasses when he is entertaining a 25 year old young thing....

Surely you don't expect the captain to be wearing an old man's glasses when he is entertaining a 25 year old young thing....

Well I wouldn't expect him to be wearing anything while trying to make on a 25 yr old!

However since it was stated in the report, that "he couldn't see" I was curious as to the location of his cabin, as surely the Prosecutors would point the fact out the he or someone he ordered to could have gone and quickly retrieved them.

But I now understand how he "slipped and fell" into the life boat..he couldn't see :rolleyes:

"No journalists or members of the public are allowed to attend"

Well that will not stop the Media continuing to make up their stories will it !! ... :rolleyes:

Ah, but don't forget the famous quote of Don Quixote from the Man of La Mancha: "Facts Destroy Truth." :p

John

The Doctor Is In

Tardis.jpg.78034268ae463ab607c1ff25933562fd.jpg

Edited by Uniall

I would urge everyone to watch the video. It is about six minutes long taken between 12 midnight to 1 am in the morning from a rescue boat helping the victims on the Concordia. In the video, you get the sense of the increasing list of the ship, which is about 25 degrees near midnight going towards 45 degrees by the end of the video. This video shows people in rafts, people in the water, people being rescued off of ropes on the high side of the ship, the empty rope ladder at the bow that the coast guard demanded that Captain Schettino climb up, etc. The video provides some great context and proof of items outlined in news stories.

I would urge everyone to watch the video. It is about six minutes long taken between 12 midnight to 1 am in the morning from a rescue boat helping the victims on the Concordia. In the video, you get the sense of the increasing list of the ship, which is about 25 degrees near midnight going towards 45 degrees by the end of the video. This video shows people in rafts, people in the water, people being rescued off of ropes on the high side of the ship, the empty rope ladder at the bow that the coast guard demanded that Captain Schettino climb up, etc. The video provides some great context and proof of items outlined in news stories.

I read somewhere that the time stamp on the video is 1 hour and 9 minutes fast. So 0:12:00 is actually 11:03:00.

I still haven't found video of rescue boat #1 launching.

When you refer to the rafts in the water, note they were launched from the port side bow. They were in the water before any of the port side boats started to launch. Rescue boat #2 seems to be the first boat launched from the port side.

There were two videos released today on Repubblica; Click here for the shorter earlier video.http://video.repubblica.it/dossier/naufragio-giglio-costa-concordia/la-motovedetta-della-finanza-la-concordia-non-comunica/89431/87824

Edited by kingcruiser1

Here's some more information coming from the hearing. This one has some interesting information about Schettino and his officers ashore while the rescue continued:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9120902/Costa-Concordia-pianist-When-we-hit-the-rock-4000-people-screamed.html

We should all send Capt. Schitino some frozen strawberries. :D

bodek-frozen-strawberries-with-sugar-16-oz-parve-32629.jpg

Here's some more information coming from the hearing. This one has some interesting information about Schettino and his officers ashore while the rescue continued:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9120902/Costa-Concordia-pianist-When-we-hit-the-rock-4000-people-screamed.html

This testimony makes it clear that the captain and officers were on shore by 12:15am and not doing a thing to help:

There was damning testimony, too, from a policeman from Giglio who went to the aid of the ship on the night of the disaster, as terrified passengers clambered into lifeboats, some of which would not deploy properly.

Roberto Galli said that at around 12.15am he saw several of the ship's officers standing on the shore, watching the drama unfold – one of whom was Capt Schettino.

"I told them that I was trying to find a boat in which I could reach the ship and help with the rescue. Several officers, including the vice-captain, said they were ready to go with me. But Schettino at first prevaricated then refused, saying that he had to stay there to coordinate the operation."

Costa Concordia captain had crashed before

Damaged luxury liner in 2010 while sailing too fast into German port
So the guy's a speed freak, huh? ..seems he thinks ships this size can be whipped around like water-ski-boats?

The captain of ill-fated Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia had crashed a luxury liner before

while sailing too fast into a German port, according to leaks from an investigation published on Friday.

Captain Francesco Schettino “manoeuvred at a speed of 7.7 to 7.9 knots during entry into the port of Warnemunde,

causing damage to the Aida Blu cruise ship”

So the guy's a speed freak, huh? ..seems he thinks ships this size can be whipped around like water-ski-boats?

The captain of ill-fated Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia had crashed a luxury liner before

while sailing too fast into a German port, according to leaks from an investigation published on Friday.

Captain Francesco Schettino “manoeuvred at a speed of 7.7 to 7.9 knots during entry into the port of Warnemunde,

causing damage to the Aida Blu cruise ship”

Maybe Capt. Schittino thought he was entering the Port of Peenemunde not Warnemude. :D

Costa Concordia captain had crashed before

Damaged luxury liner in 2010 while sailing too fast into German port

Earlier leaks from the investigation included claims that Schettino was involved in a 2010 incident while at the helm of a cruise ship and that there was a hard-partying atmosphere of drugs and alcohol on board two Costa ships.

Costa Crociere, Europe's biggest cruise operator, has however said that Schettino was never involved in any accidents in his six years as captain and has emphasised that it imposes strict rules against drugs and excess drinking.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-04/survivors-voice-anger-at-italian-shipwreck-hearing/3867208

Earlier leaks from the investigation included claims that Schettino was involved in a 2010 incident while at the helm of a cruise ship and that there was a hard-partying atmosphere of drugs and alcohol on board two Costa ships.

Costa Crociere, Europe's biggest cruise operator, has however said that Schettino was never involved in any accidents in his six years as captain and has emphasised that it imposes strict rules against drugs and excess drinking.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-04/survivors-voice-anger-at-italian-shipwreck-hearing/3867208

I suspect there was not an actual crash but damage to the Aida Blu from Schettino coming into port too "hot" and perhaps knocking the other ship into the pier or if the other ship was not docked maybe the wake alone caused damage from too much unnecessary movement for Aida Blu. Either of these events would probably not be considered an accident against Schettino's official record.

I think that you need to start questioning the statements come out of Costa. The full summary of this incident of the Costa Atlantica at a speed of 7.7 to 7.9 knots during entry into the port of Warnemunde, causing damage to the Aida Blu cruise ship in June 2010, was submitted as evidence in the trial. Are you trying to say that Schettino was not the captain of the Atlantica of the time?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108790/Costa-Concordia-Captain-Francesco-Schettino-crashed-ANOTHER-cruise-ship.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I think that you need to start questioning the statements come out of Costa. The full summary of this incident of the Costa Atlantica at a speed of 7.7 to 7.9 knots during entry into the port of Warnemunde, causing damage to the Aida Blu cruise ship in June 2010, was submitted as evidence in the trial. Are you trying to say that Schettino was not the captain of the Atlantica of the time?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108790/Costa-Concordia-Captain-Francesco-Schettino-crashed-ANOTHER-cruise-ship.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Come on Greg. Read the link. It's not me saying it, it's COSTA!

I brought the link here so people could see what COSTA said.