Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

SB ... Thanks for posting the link.

I am guessing that the video showing the underwater shots of the ships Bell is old footage seeing as the Bell was stolen some months ago!

Even after all this time it seems the Media still do not know the diference between a cruise liner and a cruise ship and still try to class Concordia in the same vain as Titanic.

Having just returned from Concordia's sistership, Pacifica, a couple of points that need to be made.

Firstly, we had several hundred Concordia pax and crew on board Pacifica. The cruise coincided with the week of the ill-fated cruise 11 months ago and people wanted to remember and reflect. The cruise was immensely emotional for everyone on board.

Secondly, you may or may not realise but Pacifica herself was involved in a nasty incident when arriving at Marseille on December 11. We had experienced bad weather from Savona the evening before and under pilotage we were turning to enter the port of Marseille when a gust of around 100mph took hold of a port marker buoy, broke it free from its anchor chains and slammed it into our side causing severe tearing in the hull above the waterline.

Now...back after Concordia some questioned why no-one felt the impact of the rocks or at least that the impact appeared minimal depending on where you were on the ship at the time.

The buoy that was literally thrown into our side aboard Pacifica was huge, it was steel and steel reinforced concrete with a very heavy chain dangling off the underside.

No-one...absolutely no-one....felt that buoy's impact...there wasn't a bang, there wasn't a shudder...nothing whatsoever felt or heard.

The buoy hit us midships across decks 0 and 1, about four feet above the waterline. It left a dent of around 40m x 5m and two gashes, one 30m x 2m and the other 20m x 1.5m.

My cabin was midships on the same side and I felt/heard nothing...and those in the balcony cabins directly above the impact felt/heard nothing.....and since it was just before breakfast, most were still in their cabins.

It wasn't until we started docking that it all became clear that something was wrong. The buoy chain had knocked out two bow thrusters so we needed tug assistance.

We remained in Marseille until just before 10am the next morning to allow steel plating to be welded across the damaged areas of the hull and we were inspected by RINA to ensure that all was seaworthy.

I spoke to many of the Concordia survivors whilst on this cruise and their stories were often harrowing but something that they all mentioned was that they never felt the impact with the rocks that night. The lights went out but since that had happened a couple times already, no-one thought anything of it. When the evacuation orders were given, again, many thought it just a precaution and they would either be stood down at muster stations or at worse go off in boats and then be allowed back on again to continue the cruise as planned.

The important thing is that not one of the 400 or so people that I spoke aboard Pacifica actually felt Concordia's impact with the rocks, they did not think there was any danger.

Which could answer as to why the evacuation order was delayed...if the passengers didn't feel the impact and did not feel that the situation was dangerous, then perhaps those on the bridge were also unaware of the full enormity of the situation and thus did not act as quickly as you might expect.

As a result of our incident, Pacifica will be drydocked in either January or February for permanent repairs to be done. We had no injuries, so that was good. The itinerary was completed but with totally different timings in ports.

But to have such a massive impact and to suffer severe damage and NOT feel it and NOT hear it happen was really quite an eye-opener and made the whole question as to how come no-one knew that Concordia had hit rocks very understandable indeed.

CS, I don't get what point you are trying to make. Whether they heard anything or not, the results were horrific.

More to the point, we have seen video of panic minutes, even seconds, after the impact with the rock. Dishes were sliding, the ship started to list, people were scared and running from the dining room. You don't have to hear anything when you can see what is going on.

Maybe in the very immediate minutes after the crash the Bridge officers did not know the extent of damage but I understand that was made clear to them very soon afterwards how serious the breach was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just saw a commericial for the show Katie. Titled The Year in Review, one of the stories will be Concordia. As it looks as though the show will review many things I'm not sure what will be said or how long the segment will be.

For those interested, it is scheduled for 8:30 ET on ABC on Wed evening.

Hi Everyone

As we approach the festive season may I take this opportunity to thank all the people who have contributed to this thread since I started it in August.

We have had nearly 300 contributions and over 30,000 views.

May I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

I hope that in 2013 we can continue this friendliest of threads in the same way as we have since August.

I should also wish the Family and Friends of the victims of Costa Concordia as good a Festive season as possible and, I am sure I speak for all Contributers and Viewers of this thread, when I say that our thoughts and prayers are with you this Festive season.

Best Wishes

Clive

SB ... I think in all honesty that the video of plates sliding along the floor was taken some time after the collision and other videos clearly show that to be the case, while some videos show confusion others show an orderley evacuation from the Dining room.

Plus any news channel is unlikely to show scenes that are not going to sensationalise their covering of the sotry.

SB ... I think in all honesty that the video of plates sliding along the floor was taken some time after the collision and other videos clearly show that to be the case, while some videos show confusion others show an orderley evacuation from the Dining room.

Plus any news channel is unlikely to show scenes that are not going to sensationalise their covering of the sotry.

Hey guys, we were stanindg in the lift lobby outside the dining room at the time of impact tswe heard plates flying accross the dining room, smashing bottles of vinegar people falling over, then within a few minutes hundreds of screming italians running from the dining room screaming, there was no orderly evacuation from the dining room.

Michelle, glad things are getting settled with Costa. You need to get that nightmare behind you.

I cruised many times on RCL. It's a good line.

I've also been on Princess several times and enjoyed my cruises with them.

As a comparison, I would say Prin and RCL are similar in cost. Also where Prin is more of an old world feel with darker wood throughout, RCL is bright and light.

I believe you will enjoy your experience with them. Which ship will you be on?

We are travelling on the Mariner of the Seas through ASIA, a touch of a few countries my partner has never been keen on travelling to Asia, but I am hoping this will wet his appetite and her can sleep on board in the comforts:-). I had to promise to leave the children at home :-) not sure that was such a hardship after taking them to Spain alone

CS, I don't get what point you are trying to make.

I don't either. Passengers are not trained professionals to recognize sounds that are abnormal and they did not know they were just along for the ride on a daring 'sail bye'. The crew and especially the bridge crew knew or should have known there was a big problem and they obviously did, especially after it was reported that the engine room was flooded and that's why they had no power or control of the ship. Since the Coast Guard got their first report of trouble on board from passengers, apparently some passengers knew there was a problem.

It's amazing that you were able to find and talk to 400 passengers on the Pacifica that were aboard the Concordia that dreadful night and not one of them knew there was any thing wrong with the Concordia; until it tipped over? Did they have "all inclusive" tickets?

It also seems amazing that a person who is so interested in airline and ship accidents, and who is so sure that the entire industry is infested with serious safety problems, get on another Costa ship and that ship hits a stray buoy and tears slices in the ship and you know precisely how long and deep the gashes are and how far they are above water line. Did they have orientation to tell all passengers what happened or were you privy to this information?

Is there any links to the news story about Pacifica getting these huge gashes in her side in which could have put her in the same situation as her sister ship? I'd think this would be big news at least for a day or two.

quote "The buoy hit us midships across decks 0 and 1, about four feet above the waterline. It left a dent of around 40m x 5m and two gashes, one 30m x 2m and the other 20m x 1.5m."

Wow that's huge, about 125 ft X 16 ft dent and a gash about 95'X 6' and another large gash. You make this flying or floating buoy sound like it was huge, are you comparing it to hitting an underwater mountainous of granite rock?

This story sounds so bizarre, but it would be great book reading.

Edited by Max49

Sometimes we tend to forget the modern day apologists and revisionists immediately launch their touchy feely apologies for the bad acts of a perpetrator and revising the facts to transform the perpetrator into a victim: There are no bad people, just victims of an evil society.

Michelle ... Thanks for posting that, the Mariner is a nice ship with a great Disco with its Medeival theme be sure to check out the Glass stairs with its cracked glass, there is also lots to do on the upper decks if you are into Climbing, Mini Golf and Roller Blading plus there is the Ice skating rink.

Max ... There was a thread started on the Costa boards about the Pacifica, titled "It could have been worse"

Edited by sidari

Hi Everyone

As we approach the festive season may I take this opportunity to thank all the people who have contributed to this thread since I started it in August.

I hope that in 2013 we can continue this friendliest of threads in the same way as we have since August.

I should also wish the Family and Friends of the victims of Costa Concordia as good a Festive season as possible and, I am sure I speak for all Contributers and Viewers of this thread, when I say that our thoughts and prayers are with you this Festive season.

Best Wishes

Clive

Aw, how sweet. Thanks Clive.

I too send my wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Hi Everyone

Best Wishes

Clive

Best wishes to you as well.

Wow, Costa's Concordia, Classica and Pacifica all crashing. It appears that Costa might save money by getting better boat drivers and captains.

It sounds like Costa might be pulling the wool over CS's and others eyes when they said the buoy hit their ship. Sounds to me like Pacifica knocked the buoy down.

Quote from above link posted by Some Beach,

"the Costa Pacifica cruise ship violently struck a piling in the Port of Marseille this morning. The cruise ship sustained a gash of around 8 meters long, which luckily is above the waterline.

Still seems incredible but they say troubles come in threes, so maybe Costa is done crashing for awhile.

I'm not sure I'm getting this right but it seems there was some sort of contest where Concordia was concerned if the ship couldn't be removed or what to do after it was removed. :confused:

It was concluded in recent days with the announcement of the winners of the international architectural competition that, starting from the wreck Costa Concordia, asked respondents to "design" the future of the island that the proponents, unlike the majority of the population , saw closely tied to the memory of this tragedy. Results of the contest we had the news are visible on the organization's website at

http://www.icsplat.org/

The weather was undoubtedly a factor, perhaps the main factor, Max49. Extremely strong winds move ships and other objects around. There are a lot of accidents like this which is why cruises get disrupted when ships can't sail into certain ports or outnof certain ports safely because of weather conditions.

Unlike CS, I wasn't on the Pacifica when this happened, but my take on this is it's just one of the hazards of winter cruising when the weather can and does take control. This probably wouldn't even be a newsworthy sorry were it not a Costa ship.

Wow, Costa's Concordia, Classica and Pacifica all crashing. It appears that Costa might save money by getting better boat drivers and captains.

It sounds like Costa might be pulling the wool over CS's and others eyes when they said the buoy hit their ship. Sounds to me like Pacifica knocked the buoy down.

Quote from above link posted by Some Beach,

"the Costa Pacifica cruise ship violently struck a piling in the Port of Marseille this morning. The cruise ship sustained a gash of around 8 meters long, which luckily is above the waterline.

Still seems incredible but they say troubles come in threes, so maybe Costa is done crashing for awhile.

Well Max here we disagree big time.

Before you go on about ship handling............think a bit and know this is not just about cruise ships or just one line, it includes tankers, container ships and naval ship. Hell I bounced off a dock once,.(but there was no real damage)............These large vessels today are basicly a city block long and 10 to 16 stories high, a massive amount of sail area. All it takes is a surprized wind direction change or gust to cause a problem. Add to that tidal current or river current to the mix, all these can change in a secound and cause a problem like the incidents noted recently. (not refering to the Concordia)

Of course the bouy didn't hit the ship....that the lawyers and PR...but to say its the Masters fault, without looking at all the facts is grossly unfair.

AKK

PS........Just for the record, there is no such thing as a *boat driver*

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I'm not sure I'm getting this right but it seems there was some sort of contest where Concordia was concerned if the ship couldn't be removed or what to do after it was removed. :confused:

It was concluded in recent days with the announcement of the winners of the international architectural competition that, starting from the wreck Costa Concordia, asked respondents to "design" the future of the island that the proponents, unlike the majority of the population , saw closely tied to the memory of this tragedy. Results of the contest we had the news are visible on the organization's website at

http://www.icsplat.org/

I think it was more a "what if" it was decided not to recover the wreck, what ideas people could come up with. Strange indeed.