Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Domnica Cemortan is back in Italy. Reports claim she is seeking legal action against Schettino and Costa.

http://www.positanonews.it/articoli/96575/meta_sorrento_il_ritorno_della_moldava_domnica_fa_causa_al_costa_concordia_e_schettino.html

CruiserFan

Your report is sad but true.

Here's the back story that explains the change in the realtionship between the Captain and Domnica. :eek:

I hope this clears up the questions raised in your article :p

John

Edited by Uniall

CruiserFan

Your report is sad but true.

Here's the back story that explains the change in the realtionship between the Captain and Domnica. :eek:

I hope this clears up the questions raised in your article :p

John

LOL! I'm impressed with your future B2Bs -- you must really rack up the points on those. Are you already top tier on RCI and NCL? If so, do you get extra B2B perks?

LOL! I'm impressed with your future B2Bs -- you must really rack up the points on those. Are you already top tier on RCI and NCL? If so, do you get extra B2B perks?

We're top tier (and then some) with NCL. I'm Diamond with RCI but will make Diamond Plus when completing my booked cruises. (Diamond gets comp champagne and wine from 4-8 pm each day. Diamond Plus gets Concierge Lounge with open bar 24/7) These are big perks for me :D

Edited by Uniall

Then Carnival Inc. self coverage risk will have to take over.

Tonka .... Somewhat like White Star Line with Titanic!

Yeah, after P&I are done, and Costa has paid out the value of the ship (before it sank;)), I believe they could attempt to walk away. It would then depend on the Italian laws and courts to force them to finish removal and restore the shoreline.

Yeah, after P&I are done, and Costa has paid out the value of the ship (before it sank;)), I believe they could attempt to walk away. It would then depend on the Italian laws and courts to force them to finish removal and restore the shoreline.

Totally correct my engineering friend!

With all the media coverage and the bad press, I am not to sure Carnival Inc. wants anymore bad press.......so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

We have been in the Med in late December and the sea was quite flat but i guess it depends on the weather systems at the time and which way they are heading, October can be decent for weatehr in the med but as we are seeing just now around the world the weather and the systems appear to be somewhat unpredicatable and Central Europe just now shows just how mixed up the weather can be.

We ourselves only have to look at home to see how that stacks up.

Yup.....we were there late October. The picture is of the screen of the weather taken in our cabin from the TV as we sailed from Civitavechia to Genoa......nice flat calm.....Not!!!! (I have no idea what size the pic will be.....click it if its too small)

This is a terrible job...so much money, such a huge piece of equipment, never tried ideas. I'm glad I dont work on it......I would be constantly wringing my hands in despair!

IMG_20121029_003536.jpg.0cb0e6833162b463d53aa18c81ecbbf4.jpg

What a joke. She was the first one that made it known to the world that she was "in love" (or should I say lust) with the Captain. Protect her reputation! She threw it away on a married man. When she became too big of a liability to the Captain, which would have been about the time the wife got the whole story, she faded into the background. Now that the meal ticket she thought she had has nothing to offer, she's going after money via the court system. What a piece of work she is.

I'm really surprised she hasn't arranged a book deal.

I do wonder where the wife is now.

What a joke. She was the first one that made it known to the world that she was "in love" (or should I say lust) with the Captain. Protect her reputation! She threw it away on a married man. When she became too big of a liability to the Captain, which would have been about the time the wife got the whole story, she faded into the background. Now that the meal ticket she thought she had has nothing to offer, she's going after money via the court system. What a piece of work she is.

I'm really surprised she hasn't arranged a book deal.

I do wonder where the wife is now.

Not to mention that as a past Costa employee, she knew or should have known that her presence on the bridge at the time of the maneuver was strictly unauthorized.

Why, as a paying passenger, as she states, was she not assigned a room number? Why was her luggage in the captain's cabin at the time of the incident? Why were the Russian passengers she helped the very first to arrive on the island? So many questions -- not so many answers. Guess we'll have to wait 'til trial...

According to the website, they will attaching anchoring cables to the exposed side of the ship, run them over the keel and then under the side of the ship resting on the floor of the ocean. Then these cables are to be attached to anchor blocks.

My question is how are they going to run the cables under the ship? Mind you the process may be opposite, i.e. start on the anchor block side and go the reverse direction. Or perhaps some other process will happen.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the cables will get between the exposed side of the ship and to the anchor blocks, or vice verse.

According to the website, they will attaching anchoring cables to the exposed side of the ship, run them over the keel and then under the side of the ship resting on the floor of the ocean. Then these cables are to be attached to anchor blocks.

My question is how are they going to run the cables under the ship? Mind you the process may be opposite, i.e. start on the anchor block side and go the reverse direction. Or perhaps some other process will happen.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the cables will get between the exposed side of the ship and to the anchor blocks, or vice verse.

The ship is perched on rocks, not flat on the ocean floor. Divers can guide small cables or ropes through open spaces, then they will be able to attach larger cables and pull them through with winches.

Similar to the idea they use when pulling the ropes to the dock with a small line attached to the large ropes.

Edited by swedish weave

Check this out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35230687&postcount=147

I seem to recall that the cables going under the ship was one of the first tasks carried out in the salvage operation.

Ken ... Nice photo.

Hey there Sid!.

You are correct, some are in place, in fact if you look to the left side of the photo Ken posted, you can see the chains.

AKK

While I'm shooting the remaining 3 drilling holes for the 3 platform, interrupted last week following the accident that occurred on the site aboard the Micoperi 30, towers, we recall, will be positioned between the ship and the rocks, above the anchor blocks, in order to facilitate, through cables and special hydraulic jacks, turning operations.

http://www.giglionews.it/2013060859740/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-inizia-linstallazione-delle-torrette.html#comments

What I quoted is the paragraph just before the group of 5 pix. Click on pix and it will scan through with a larger view.

That seems to be a clear and succinct summary of the events that occurred that night. I don't see how anyone could seriously try to argue where the vast majority of the blame for this accident falls.

But I can't help but wonder why there would be a situation where a Captain would be calling out orders to a helmsman who doesn't clearly understand him. Can you picture Captain Kirk doing some hairbrained daredevil maneuver with the Enterprise......flying directly at some space station at far too fast a speed trying to impress some pretty young ensign......and at an incredibly critical moment yelling out a split-second order to Sulu to go hard to port....and Sulu thinking...."what did he say"?

Seems as though every officer on a bridge should be able to clearly understand every other officers' language/accent/slang. Is it commonplace to have this kind of situation where officers have communication issues? One thing that popped in my mind is jets coming in to land at overseas airports with foreign traffic controllers.

One things for sure....only in a sci-fi fantasy show would Kirk ever Captain another starship after such a stupid stunt! :cool:

That seems to be a clear and succinct summary of the events that occurred that night. I don't see how anyone could seriously try to argue where the vast majority of the blame for this accident falls.

But I can't help but wonder why there would be a situation where a Captain would be calling out orders to a helmsman who doesn't clearly understand him. Can you picture Captain Kirk doing some hairbrained daredevil maneuver with the Enterprise......flying directly at some space station at far too fast a speed trying to impress some pretty young ensign......and at an incredibly critical moment yelling out a split-second order to Sulu to go hard to port....and Sulu thinking...."what did he say"?

Seems as though every officer on a bridge should be able to clearly understand every other officers' language/accent/slang. Is it commonplace to have this kind of situation where officers have communication issues? One thing that popped in my mind is jets coming in to land at overseas airports with foreign traffic controllers.

One things for sure....only in a sci-fi fantasy show would Kirk ever Captain another starship after such a stupid stunt! :cool:

This is in fact one of the problems with an international crew. While most of the deck OFFICERS were Italian (unable to determine from the report, but given the Italian flag they probably were), the crew can be from anywhere, and unlike the Enterprise, the helmsman is not an officer. While Costa has identified the working language as Italian, orders were given by the Captain not only in Italian but also English. There is no guarantee that the helmsman understood English. Given the distraction of unauthorized people on the bridge during maneuvering, the conversations on the bridge could have interfered with the helmsman's interpretation of the Captain's orders, even if he understood Italian.

The ship that rammed the city walk in New Orleans was caused by a helmsman who did not understand the pilot's orders. Unfortunately, this happens quite often, as there is no world-wide lingua franca like English is for air transportation.