Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

From TPP site. This explains why they were putting down additional absorbing booms.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/98/Refloating_operations_-_press_note

I am still looking for fact information because we've pretty much decided that million can't be correct. I would like to read the comments for that one site that stated that but don't want to join the "club" in order to do so. I keep thinking that someone else has questioned that too.

It's just past 10:30 p.m. in Italy. Looks like about 3 workers are walking around in the bow with flashlights.

Around 7ish, there were at least 6-8 workers on top of the forward sponsons on the starboard side. Don't know what it was about but they were concentrating on S2 ship side. Spent about 45 minutes up there.

I am still looking for fact information because we've pretty much decided that million can't be correct.

Later on the article states that each metre of chain weighs 400 kilos (881 pounds) So if we knew the length of the chains used???

David.

Later on the article states that each metre of chain weighs 400 kilos (881 pounds) So if we knew the length of the chains used???

David.

As you say, "if." I've given up looking. Now just hoping that somebody will get it and maybe one of us will stumble on the correct answer.

I was just at the TPP site. On the page I'm linking here if you scroll down you'll see "Tweets." One tweet says "image of the convoy" and has "show image," click that.

If the register box comes up, just close it out.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/

That's a heck of a lot of vessels!

David.

30 million metric tons equals 75,000 km of chain at 400 kilos per meter. You can almost go twice around Earth with that much chain. Definitely a typo in the article.

It's just past 10:30 p.m. in Italy. Looks like about 3 workers are walking around in the bow with flashlights.

Around 7ish, there were at least 6-8 workers on top of the forward sponsons on the starboard side. Don't know what it was about but they were concentrating on S2 ship side. Spent about 45 minutes up there.

They are using a vertical ladder on the side of sponson S2 to get on and off the ship. I have seen a couple of times already people going up and down that ladder into a small boat on the water and then transferring to a bigger board outside the booms. They are probably coming to/from the control room at the very top. You can see them walking on top of S2, then along the front of deck 9 (right above the bridge) all the way to the port side where they disappear, then later reappear outside the control room. That vertical climb is a veeeeery long way from top of the sponson to the water, and increasing. I hope that are tied up to a safety cable on the ladder as they are going up or down. A fall from up there can be fatal.

This morning the big letters S2 and S1 were barely visible (only the tops) and now about 10 hours later the big letters are already past the middle. You can already see the middle section of the S above the water. Deck 3 must be almost completely above water now. Can't wait for daylight to come in a few hours.

Edited by luisrp

Would not normally be up at this time but due to one of the Grand kids being ill and having to wash bedding at this unearthly hour i thought i would look in on the live Giglio cam, it looks in the darkness as though the bow is around 2 to 3 feet above the sea now. Looking at the cam it appears that a bit of a swell is building up unless it is water being pumped out from the Front area of the ship, it will be interesting in a few hours when daybreak comes to see how much higher the ship will be out of the water.

Before the feed went kaput, it looked like they were really pumping the air in, the water was really stirred up by the two front sponsons. Now that the feed is back it has died down. The bow has seemed to rise a lot in the last two hours, this is really exciting:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would not normally be up at this time but due to one of the Grand kids being ill and having to wash bedding at this unearthly hour i thought i would look in on the live Giglio cam, it looks in the darkness as though the bow is around 2 to 3 feet above the sea now. Looking at the cam it appears that a bit of a swell is building up unless it is water being pumped out from the Front area of the ship, it will be interesting in a few hours when daybreak comes to see how much higher the ship will be out of the water.

I hope your grandkids feel better

OMG!!! How utterly amazing to come home after a long day and see the bow out of the water!!

Thanks, so much for all the links!

As a sailor, I really enjoyed the picture of the convoy that included the sailboat that will be used for monitoring the marine mammals.

With the bow now out of the water it finally looks like a ship with flotation tanks on her sides. Prior to this it just looked like some sort of floating structure that did not look at all like a ship. Still would need to rise five more decks to get up to the normal flotation line but we know this is not going to happen. The ship is at or near the most it will be refloated.

As you say, "if." I've given up looking.

One tweet says "image of the convoy" and has "show image," click that.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/

That's a heck of a lot of vessels!

Direct link to the large version of the fleet photo here https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs_vjpBIQAAU78e.jpg:large

I wonder what the role of the sailing yacht KIDAN is in this convoy. Does anybody know? How practical is a sailing vessel in such a convoy?

As for the mystery about 30 million tons: Somebody probably read an original Italian press release where it said mille which is Italian for thousand. Anybody with even just residual knowledge of Latin from school would recognise this, but maybe jourrnalists aren't anymore what they used to be. I bet we're talking about 3,000 tons, because even 30,000 tons doesn't sound plausible, doesn't it? Divide by 400 kg per meter of chain, 3,000 tons give us 7,500 mtrs of chains. (For those who still use imperial units :D: 24,000 feet)

On another note, I find it quite funny that the team on the YouReporter video Live feed http://www.youreporter.it/live/Rigalleggiamento_Concordia_diretta_live_streaming are blissfully unaware about the live audio transmission: voices, washing up of plates etc etc are all audible. :D

I laugh at the amount of times I get asked by friends whether the ship is going to be refurbished, some genuinely believe they are just going to wash it and start using it again!

Away back in this fascinating thread ony guy was convinced it would be converted into a cattle carrier.

Come to think of it though, the damage doesn't look too bad, a good body shop could nock that out easy.

David.

Ok, so it looks like deck 3 is fully out of the water. The holes for the mooring lines are visible in the bow and those are in deck 3. I am guessing this is the final refloat level. Would be interesting to look at the main lobby now. This is the lowest level of the atrium.