Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I couldn't agree more. I have actually thought about this in the last week or so. It was bad enough that he ran the ship into the rocks, but he compounded it by "locking up" or something along those lines.

He could have partially redeemed himself by handling the post "crash" actions better. I could see having to take some 15 minutes or so to assess the situation. I.E. get feedback from people on the scene below. But after it was determined that they were taking on water, get people to the muster stations and go from there.

Dave

It makes perfect sense to me that Captain Schittino would be invited as a guest lecturer for a Graduate course on panic management.

The topic of his lecture and syllabus could be entitled:

"Panic Management at Sea, What Not To Do" :eek::rolleyes:;):D

John

"Lily Project" notes with great satisfaction the formalization of the debate on the possible permanence of underwater platforms of Concordia. Several authoritative voices intervened on this subject and in particular the latest stance of Greenpeace Italy that suggested a positive environmental impact of intervening directly on the Ministry of the environment.

These days even the company Costa Crociere has further manifested its willingness to maintain these structures on the seabed of the lily as had previously been the CEO of Micoperi, Dr. Babu, both publicly and in various meetings with Mayor Ortelli.

The President of the Tuscany region Enrico Rossi, to whom should pass skills to restore the sea area after the termination of State of emergency Concordia ", in a recent speech during his encounter with the local population, expressed itself in favour of a comprehensive evaluation on the permanence of structures on the seabed Islanders indicating the use of a possible referendum as required by regional law.

Lily project, through delegation to its Board representatives, presented the July 18 u.s., an urgent motion because it is mandated to the Mayor and the Municipal Council with official act, that so far there has never been, "to undertake to adopt every useful initiative to preserve the underwater structures that exist in the shipyard's Concordia site and, at the same time, economies arising from the failure to remove them are intended for the municipal administration with constraint of public works ".

The motivation of our intervention is related to the possibility of using submersible platforms for quicker restoration of the marine environment, to prevent the side effects of their removal and the possibility that they represent a potential possibility of support for the island's economy at a time when it is going through a phase of extreme difficulty.

The City Council was held to discuss the motion on the platforms the next August 19, 2014 15.30 hours although this will happen well beyond the deadline of 20 days from the date of proposal of the motion. It would be desirable that it had been convened with greater urgency given the contingency of the contractualisation of calls for tender for the removal of these structures.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/08/10/minoranza-finalmente-le-piattaforme-in-consiglio/

Looked at the Port view from Giglio. The cam has been changed to look out over the port instead of to the businesses. Not sure if this is only for today or if this will be the view from now on. If I recall, that was the original view for the camera.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````

On a side note, I hope all our friends across the pond in the UK are safe from the terrible weather and flooding in your country.

Edited by SomeBeach

Ropes used in parbuckling.

Dyneema ropes fundamental for ‘Concordia’ parbuckling

15 Aug 2014

The ‘Costa Concordia’ parbuckling operation on the rocks of the Italian island of Giglio has been a success in many ways. High performance ropes with Dyneema played a key role in the operation, according to Netherlands based DSM Dyneema.

The Titan-Micoperi salvage partnership realised early on that any ropes required for the creation of the holdback system, to hold the wreck in place and then help bring it upright, would rub along the sea floor. It was imperative that any further damage to the ecosystem, beyond that caused by the ship itself running aground, be kept to a minimum. For this reason, the decision was made to go for a rope system that is not only extremely strong, but also very light and easy to handle. As Dyneema has neutral buoyancy in water, the ropes are easy to pull through the water by divers.

During the installation process, the ropes with Dyneema did indeed not drag along the seabed as steel ropes would have done. Nevertheless, since they are in constant contact along much of their length with the hull of the ship, they need surface protection, which is why Dextron 12 Plus ropes with patented protective jackets from leading Norwegian rope maker Offshore and Trawl Supply (OTS) were chosen. The covers for the Costa Concordia project also contained a reflective additive so that they could easily be seen by divers working in the dark.

In all, there were 22 Dextron 12 Plus ropes holding the Costa Concordia, two running from each of the 11 towers mounted on the sea floor along the starboard (shore-side) side of the ship and connecting to chains that ran under the hull and which were attached to the far (port) side. All the ropes had the same diameter, but each had a different length, of between 40 and 55 meters.

Since the ropes were to be loaded for a prolonged period of time, creep had to be considered. Among the various types of HMPE fiber on the market today, Dyneema has been demonstrated to creep the least, and by a significant factor.

Marc Eijssen, Senior Application Manager, Offshore & Industrial at DSM Dyneema, says the company carried out a series of creep evaluations using its in-house model to predict creep under a variety of load and temperature scenarios. Based on these models, Titan-Micoperi and OTS were able to calculate the exact length needed for each rope. As is clear to see, the model proved accurate, and the parbuckling operation went exactly according to plan.

By Jake Frith

Documentary being made:

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/08/national-geographic-greenlights-raising-costa-concordia-documentary/

National Geographic Channels International has given the greenlight to The Raising of the Costa Concordia, a one-off documentary from Windfall Films.

The Raising of the Costa Concordia is a one-hour special which charts the recovery of the cruise ship, which partially sunk off the coast of Giglio, Italy. In addition to footage of the operation to raise, re-float and tow away the Costa Concordia, the documentary, which will air on NGCI later this month, also uses CGI animation to explore the innovations and technological breakthroughs that made it all possible.

The one-off is being produced by Windfall Films, who have been working on the documentary for the past two years. The Argonon owned indie secured unparalleled access to the engineers involved in raising of the cruise ship and have been filming every aspect of the operation, which has been described as “one of the greatest engineering feats ever undertaken”, since 2012. The docu is produced and directed by Colin Campbell; while Carlo Massarella is serving as the executive producer.

“For almost two years, Windfall Films’ cameras have been following the project to re-float the Costa Concordia – close up”, said Carlo Massarella, Creative Director of Windfall Films. “Gaining this level of access to this unprecedented operation was not only an eye-opening experience, but is also a testament to our credentials in this genre”.

While Hamish Mykura, Executive Vice President & Head of International Content for NGCI, added: “Raising the Costa Concordia is an enormous challenge – and a delicate one – only possible through the dedication of a highly skilled crew who must undertake the massive responsibility of salvaging the world’s biggest shipwreck”.

We never had a live feed except on the day of the parbuckling and until the very last stages of the refloat and tow away. And we were very lucky that the location where the ship capsized already had two high quality webcams (Giglio News). They added the third "parbuckling webcam" shortly before the parbuckling took place. I mean lucky in the sense that those cameras were not installed to follow the salvage process but have been there before the event. I remember seeing survivors boarding a ferry the night of the accident in the port webcam the first time ever that I found the Giglio News site that fateful night. Traffic in the site was so much that it was impossible to see the panoramic webcam.

The ship is now in a place where there are cameras around but there is no camera pointing specifically to the ship except for that one in the Liguria web site but it is too distant. If we are lucky perhaps someone will put a webcam at a closer location. I don't expect to see much on the way of live coverage by webcam anymore.

I wish I could see a write up about the sequence they are employing as the remove each deck.

The top of the ships seems to be fairly simple, cut off the various steel rooms, containing some the mechanicals and remove the mechanicals. However, what is the process once they hit the cabin decks.

Since the cabins are not structural to the ship, I can think of several scenarios where the remove the cabins and the cut off the structural members for that deck. But I am probably way off base on my various scenarios I have conjured up.

I wish I could see a write up about the sequence they are employing as the remove each deck.

The top of the ships seems to be fairly simple, cut off the various steel rooms, containing some the mechanicals and remove the mechanicals. However, what is the process once they hit the cabin decks.

Since the cabins are not structural to the ship, I can think of several scenarios where the remove the cabins and the cut off the structural members for that deck. But I am probably way off base on my various scenarios I have conjured up.

The scrapping process will look to deal with three major groups in order of precedence:

Hazardous materials: Since this is being done in a country where there are environmental regulations, all hazmat will be identified, and removed first, where possible. Hazmat crews will work from top down to prepare the decks for the follow on workers.

High value materials: mainly the copper in the miles of wiring. Again, starting at the top, the passageway ceiling panels will be removed, to gain access, and the wiring will be cut at fixtures and cabins, and pulled out.

Everything else.

They will most likely cut the top deck off, opening the rooms below to access, and strip out public spaces of things like joiner bulkheads (the walls you see) to gain access to wiring for removal. Then flammables like carpeting will be removed (if not removed in the hazmat stage due to mold). Cut that deck off and set ashore for further deconstruction (sorting the metal from the other materials and cutting to smaller bits). Repeat. With the cabins, they will use cutters, grinders, saws, and torches to cut the wiring and piping, and lift the cabins out whole for deconstruction ashore and recycling. Since everything is going for recycling or scrap, they are not real careful, more slash and burn. Machinery spaces take a bit longer, as there are more high value items there (much more wiring, motors with copper, etc), and the engines to be broken up for component metals.

Again, given that this is being done in Italy, there will be quite a lot of deconstruction and sorting of materials done off the ship, where it can be controlled, is safer for the workers, and is cheaper.

The scrapping process will look to deal with three major groups in order of precedence:

Hazardous materials: Since this is being done in a country where there are environmental regulations, all hazmat will be identified, and removed first, where possible. Hazmat crews will work from top down to prepare the decks for the follow on workers.

High value materials: mainly the copper in the miles of wiring. Again, starting at the top, the passageway ceiling panels will be removed, to gain access, and the wiring will be cut at fixtures and cabins, and pulled out.

Everything else.

They will most likely cut the top deck off, opening the rooms below to access, and strip out public spaces of things like joiner bulkheads (the walls you see) to gain access to wiring for removal. Then flammables like carpeting will be removed (if not removed in the hazmat stage due to mold). Cut that deck off and set ashore for further deconstruction (sorting the metal from the other materials and cutting to smaller bits). Repeat. With the cabins, they will use cutters, grinders, saws, and torches to cut the wiring and piping, and lift the cabins out whole for deconstruction ashore and recycling. Since everything is going for recycling or scrap, they are not real careful, more slash and burn. Machinery spaces take a bit longer, as there are more high value items there (much more wiring, motors with copper, etc), and the engines to be broken up for component metals.

Again, given that this is being done in Italy, there will be quite a lot of deconstruction and sorting of materials done off the ship, where it can be controlled, is safer for the workers, and is cheaper.

Cheng thanks for the process description. Any guess on how long this will take?

Cheng thanks for the process description. Any guess on how long this will take?

Again, since this isn't Kalang, where they chop the ship up wearing flip-flops and loincloths as safety gear, it will most likely take a couple of years. Not sure how much scrapping experience they have in the yard, so there may be a bit of a learning curve. Also, even after the hull disappears, there will be more sorting, etc, done in buildings and lots in the yard, that won't appear to be related to a ship. What would be an interesting statistic would be how much of the deadweight of the ship was recycled and how much ended up in landfill.

Hello Cheng and welcome back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost everything I have read has suggested that 85% of what was Concordia will be recycled. If that ends up being the case, that's pretty darn good considering what they are dealing with.

Have also read that the project will take about 2 1/2 years. I haven't heard anything about round the clock work being done so I'm guessing that this part of the project will just be done in a regular work day.

I have found that looking at the webcam around 7a.m.ish (Italy time) gives the best view though it is still not that good. Just after midnight this morning (CT zone) and using the little magnifying tab to enlarge the view I could see some sort of crane like piece of equipment along side of the ship. Couldn't tell you what it was doing because the view is just too white.

Telken22, I looked up Windfall Films to see if they provided a date for viewing. Also checked NatGeo for that info. Couldn't find out anything. If you could, please keep us advised. Not sure if NatGeo and NatGeo International have viewing dates that run the same but it would be nice if we had more than just "later this month." :rolleyes:

Hello Cheng and welcome back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost everything I have read has suggested that 85% of what was Concordia will be recycled. If that ends up being the case, that's pretty darn good considering what they are dealing with.

Have also read that the project will take about 2 1/2 years. I haven't heard anything about round the clock work being done so I'm guessing that this part of the project will just be done in a regular work day.

I have found that looking at the webcam around 7a.m.ish (Italy time) gives the best view though it is still not that good. Just after midnight this morning (CT zone) and using the little magnifying tab to enlarge the view I could see some sort of crane like piece of equipment along side of the ship. Couldn't tell you what it was doing because the view is just too white.

Telken22, I looked up Windfall Films to see if they provided a date for viewing. Also checked NatGeo for that info. Couldn't find out anything. If you could, please keep us advised. Not sure if NatGeo and NatGeo International have viewing dates that run the same but it would be nice if we had more than just "later this month." :rolleyes:

Glad to be home, SB.

What with the amount the insurance has paid to get the hulk to this point, I don't see them wanting to pay for overtime or 3rd shift premium. Two shifts max, and given that it's Italy, only six days a week, max. That 85% would be a great figure to shoot for, but I don't know how much plastic recycling they can get done, etc.

Hazardous materials: Since this is being done in a country where there are environmental regulations,

Cheng ... This is Italy we are talking about where Mafia clans such as the Camorra bid for and usually get contracts to remove this kind of thing only for it to be found under farmland and other places such as concrete foundations and building skeletons that contain Toxic wastes!

They may well have regulations but it seems that they are poorly policed.

Hazardous materials: Since this is being done in a country where there are environmental regulations,

Cheng ... This is Italy we are talking about where Mafia clans such as the Camorra bid for and usually get contracts to remove this kind of thing only for it to be found under farmland and other places such as concrete foundations and building skeletons that contain Toxic wastes!

They may well have regulations but it seems that they are poorly policed.

Yes, but at least it gets removed before the remainder of the work force enters the spaces. If you've ever seen how they chop up ships in Bangladesh, even work in Italy is a Greenpeace heaven in comparison.

Hello All,

Just found this great overhead drone video of C.C. in Genoa, posted 3 days ago;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kxJq3g55w

Note the yellow 5 axle/10 wheel mobile telescopic crane perched about half-way along her top deck, raised up on it's outriggers. They weigh probably 40 to 50 tons, hope the deck is strong enough, would have been interesting to watch that being transferred up there!

Infront of the crane and central on the deck there is a glass half-dome roof structure that appears to have been pulled up and to one side to make an access shaft down into CC? I'm guessing the crane can then bring materials up from inside CC using skips etc and then lower them down over the edge onto barges/platforms/pontoons etc for transfer to the mainland?

She looks very lonely......

Edited by CTH