Arrest on Adventure this Morning?

MrZoey

We had a funny dog sniffing experience too... We were in Johannesburg OR Tambo airport during the World Cup, and my teen girls had loaded up on snacks in their bags for the 16 hour flight home. Security was obviously very tight, and a little drug sniffing beagle stopped at their bags and sniffed, he kept on sniffing and sniffing, and I started to panic:eek:

Then the officer handling the little dog laughed, tugged his leash and said " you must have food in there"! I guess he has a different "tell" for contraband, (thank God!) but he was just like all the beagles I've known and couldn't really resist food!;)

Thats too funny!!! Sounds like my little (big) beagle. She can smell food a mile away.

Sue

Our kids were backpacking in Europe and the same thing happened--the dog just keyed onto our daughter's pack. She voluntarily assured the handler that she didn't have any contraband. The lady laughed and said she must have good Swiss chocolate in there (she did) bc the dog has another indicating behavior for drugs, etc. Relief.

Thats too funny!!! Sounds like my little (big) beagle. She can smell food a mile away.

Sue

I just love dogs! They are amazing aren't they!

I have a very intelligent, high strung boxer with a very high "play drive" which is something very important for a detention dog.

To keep his active mind busy, we've done obedience training with him, tried some flyball for awhile and also enrolled him in protection training class (just for fun....for him). The dog training facility we were using also had a "bedbug detention" training class and I though I'd give it a try with him to see how he'd do. I mention this only to give you an idea of how they are trained.

On the first day of class I brought one of his rope tug toys and they cut a small piece off the end. That small piece of rope toy was placed with the container of bedbugs into one of a row of larger containers. When my dog sniffed the correct container I would immediately play tug with him. As I was playing the trainer would place the bedbugs and piece of rope into another container. This went on for awhile until the piece of rope was removed and he then associated the play with locating the bedbugs, which give off a certain scent.

The training facility also trains police dogs in narcotic detention, etc. so I'm sure they are trained in the same way. We only did several classes, but it was very interesting how they're trained.

Had my own dog sniffing experience last week,as I was going through customs a beagle came from around the counter and started to sniff my plastic bag I was carrying.He hit on a smell alright,it was the dried fruit that comes in the onboard amenity they give to crown and anchor members gift baskets.lol

My dog just "sniffed out" something for me last night! 3AM I hear a scuffling in our bedroom (eek!). I was paranoid we had a rat! I got my dog right away and he sniffed that thing out the moment he walked in the door without any prompting. His tail was going crazy and he was jumping around all excitedly. Then the beast showed itself- the biggest rat I've ever seen (and I lived in NYC where they're as big as raccoons!)! My dog went CRAZY! He chased that thing all around the room until it finally found the open door to the deck.

Dogs. They are amazing. And I don't think I will ever go another night without him sleeping in my room!!!

Drugs... Food... Giant Beast Rats... They can smell anything!

when we walked down the hall of deck 9 they were spraying down the furniture

on one of the cabins, looked like they were freezing woth the spray.

Did they have a wand, that looked like it sprayed snow? If so, then yes that is for bedbugs. It uses CO2 and freezes them. It works apparently in light infestations, but not if they are bunched up or clustered in stacks.

OH, PLEASE, say it isn't so. I do NOT want bedbugs on vacation or worse yet, coming home with me.

Oh- and as far as dogs sniffing for things. A- Scent hounds (bassets, etc..) are infinitely better then what most people see (German shepards, etc..). Dogs now sniff for everything from drugs to bombs, termites to cancer.

Lastly, back to the original topic. Was anyone ever able to answer what the story was with the possible arrest?

Erika

Then the officer handling the little dog laughed, tugged his leash and said " you must have food in there"! I guess he has a different "tell" for contraband, (thank God!) but he was just like all the beagles I've known and couldn't really resist food!;)

If the cute little beagle sits down next to your luggage, you know you're in trouble.

My dachshund, Zoe, LOVES my son. He lives far away and is lucky to be home once a year. One of the last times he came home, he got into DFW very late and one of his friends was kind enough to pick him up and bring him to the house in the middle of the night. When Zoe got up the next morning, she started towards the kitchen like normal until she reached his (closed) bedroom door. She stopped, braced herself and then took a giant sniff. The next thing I know her nose is under the door and her tail is wagging furiously. Her Dave was here!!!! It was very sweet.

We snuck this Chair Hog in our luggage -

chairhogonVOS.jpg

LMAO! It reminds me though, we usually bring my 8yo niece's stuffed penguin on the road with us (we travel to locations for work), so we'll have to grab Peng Wee for our cruise!

My weiner dog can smell the smallest speck of any food from four rooms over.

LOL I have a mini doxie and she comes running as soon as she hears wrappers making noise, or the fridge being opened. If she's snuggled under her blanket and I get something quietly, she usually smells it before I'm finished with it.

My dog just "sniffed out" something for me last night! 3AM I hear a scuffling in our bedroom (eek!). I was paranoid we had a rat! I got my dog right away and he sniffed that thing out the moment he walked in the door without any prompting. His tail was going crazy and he was jumping around all excitedly. Then the beast showed itself- the biggest rat I've ever seen (and I lived in NYC where they're as big as raccoons!)! My dog went CRAZY! He chased that thing all around the room until it finally found the open door to the deck.

Dogs. They are amazing. And I don't think I will ever go another night without him sleeping in my room!!!

Drugs... Food... Giant Beast Rats... They can smell anything!

OMG...I would definitely have a hard time sleeping after that!!!!

Your dog deserves a huge treat for that!!

BTW...I see by your countdown clock you are going on the Navigator for your wedding cruise...CONGRATS!!! :)

Sure enough...they found my dozen wire clothes hangers. :eek: :eek: Sheeez..

"You are allowed to take your bag now, Madam". Huh???!! Kind of obvious

what they were, and in fact they got a chuckle out of that "contraband" they allowed

me to carry back to my cabin.

Do they have "hanger sniffing" dogs too?? ;)

Apparently you are not aware of ALL the rules:

Dogs can be trained to sniff out just about anything. Cadavers, bombs/explosives, drugs, food, etc.

One time at the Western Washington Fair in Puyallup ther was a drug sniffing dog demo by the local police. Before the demo the officer warned everyone that when the brought the dogs out they were still on-duty and would hit on anything anywhere - including the crowd. Then he gave people a miniute to leave incase they felt they should. :rolleyes:

For bed bugs when we travel in Winter we take liquids out of the bags and leave them in the garage for a few days. Three days of 10°F or lower will kill luggage stowaways (so says a U. of Minn. study).

He stopped and sat at a ladies bag and she said "look....he likes me". She had a banana in her bag.
If the cute little beagle sits down next to your luggage, you know you're in trouble.

Banana smell is from an chemical ester called Isoamyl Acetate. I wonder if that compund (or similar) is found in some explosives - even in very small amounts. It is also in a hormone that enrages honeybees even in very tiny amounts.

One time at the Western Washington Fair in Puyallup ther was a drug sniffing dog demo by the local police. Before the demo the officer warned everyone that when the brought the dogs out they were still on-duty and would hit on anything anywhere - including the crowd. Then he gave people a miniute to leave incase they felt they should. :rolleyes:

For bed bugs when we travel in Winter we take liquids out of the bags and leave them in the garage for a few days. Three days of 10°F or lower will kill luggage stowaways (so says a U. of Minn. study).

Banana smell is from an chemical ester called Isoamyl Acetate. I wonder if that compund (or similar) is found in some explosives - even in very small amounts. It is also in a hormone that enrages honeybees even in very tiny amounts.

The beagle had on a vest with a Dept. of Agriculture badge. Looked mighty important:p

We live across the street from a high school-they have suprise visits by the dogs once in a while--4 very smart boys ditched the event and left in their vehicle-when they came back the dogs were just leaving--they were not smart enough to think the dogs wouldn't hit on them when when they smelled what they had been doing in the car-just because you don't have it on you doesn't mean anything--those boys are infamous!!

when we walked down the hall of deck 9 they were spraying down the furniture

on one of the cabins, looked like they were freezing woth the spray.

Can you tell me where on deck 9, a balcony room, inside or JS? Bedbugs something else to freak out about.:eek:

You made me spit on my screen. I so remember that movie (now).

There for a minute I thought RCCL had a rule I didn't know about.

Me too. I pack our clothes on wire hangers as it makes it easier and faster to unpack. And can throw them away as we leave the ship or hotel.

Just hope I don't get called to the naughty room.

Archived