first time

lfcboro

Hi all, we are going in may, me , wife 2 kids, 2 and 7, is there much for the kids to do on board? and are there plenty of places to chill out ie not to crowded? many thanks:)

Hi, there aren't many children on board but there is a kids club that seems to be ok and all the better for the kids that there aren't too many as they get more attention. Plenty of places to chill out in the daytime but not so much at night, we like to buy a cappucino in Cafe Brasil which is at the rear of the ship with big windows so you can watch the world go by. There is a small library there as well.

Jan

I agree with RR. Contrary to popular belief I've always found that passengers love having the little ones at the table, people aren't allowed to interact with children much nowadays and they love the opportunity to talk to children. Food throwing is probably not a good idea though, lol. My little grandson had a great aim whilst in his highchair and hit my husband every time and he ended up showered with chips.:D:D He didn't do it to anyone else funnily enough. You can always dine in the Beachcomber at night if you want, it's more cafeteria like and a bit more casual. At least you're taking your babysitters with you, clever.:D:D

Jan

8 of us went last June including my Granddaughter who was then 14 months and the crew couldn't do enough for her, Kids club was brilliant, probably a tad to young for your 7 year old though. but I'm sure your lad will have a brilliant time.

RR

If everyone is as friendly on the ship as you guys we should have a gr8 time! Its our first cruise and I was a bit unsure of them at first, being stuck on a ship for a week, but am sure thats not the case.

Don't forget that you're not actually on the ship all the time, apart from the day at sea. The best part is waking up in the morning somewhere new that you probably wouldn't have been able to get to any other way. We travelled along Turkey from Istanbul to Marmaris, with Santorini and Rhodes thrown in and we reckoned it would have taken a good few holidays to see those places. I'm not sure what your itinerary is but a search on Thomson forum will bring up lots of good tips as to which ports you can diy and save money and which one's to save up and pay for trips from as there is no other way to see the sights. There's a good thread on '5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise' on Thomson which is helpful for first timers and should be on the second or third page now. If you can't find it I'll bump it up for you.

The ship is good for evening entertainment if you bag your seat quickly after dinner and it's not far to stagger back to the cabin without going outside. It's a totally different holiday and everyone who's a first timer always loves it.:):)

Jan

The ship is good for evening entertainment if you bag your seat quickly after dinner and it's not far to stagger back to the cabin without going outside. It's a totally different holiday and everyone who's a first timer always loves it.:):)

Jan

Unlike some of the cruisers who seem to be on steroids who seem to get to dinner/lunch/supper 1st then always bag the best seats..:D and I'm not talking youngsters here :p wheel chairs with rockets attached.

Of course I'm jesting...or am I :confused:

Unlike some of the cruisers who seem to be on steroids who seem to get to dinner/lunch/supper 1st then always bag the best seats..:D and I'm not talking youngsters here :p wheel chairs with rockets attached.

Of course I'm jesting...or am I :confused:

We didn't get to see one show last time, apart from the one below. Some of them stayed on for the 2nd show and the staff let them which was different to the year before when they had them out. Quite right too! On the plus side the comedian, who'd been on Britain's Got Talent, was rubbish. We finally got to see him at a midnight show in the Bounty Lounge, once was definitely enough, lol.:D:D

Jan

Don't forget that you're not actually on the ship all the time, apart from the day at sea. The best part is waking up in the morning somewhere new that you probably wouldn't have been able to get to any other way. We travelled along Turkey from Istanbul to Marmaris, with Santorini and Rhodes thrown in and we reckoned it would have taken a good few holidays to see those places. I'm not sure what your itinerary is but a search on Thomson forum will bring up lots of good tips as to which ports you can diy and save money and which one's to save up and pay for trips from as there is no other way to see the sights. There's a good thread on '5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise' on Thomson which is helpful for first timers and should be on the second or third page now. If you can't find it I'll bump it up for you.

Jan

we are sailing palma olbia naples civitavecchia propriano mahon. yes going to take lots of pics, just hope its warm enough in may.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
We're going on the same cruise later in the year so please post back how it was! Have a good time.

Hello and welcome. Any questions just ask away and there are plenty of tips on Thomson forum as well.:):)

Jan

• 1 month later...

Treat your wife to a meal in the Oasis on her Birthday and get the waiters to sing Happy Birthday to her. I did this with my Mother in Law year before last..magical moment. can't remember how much the cake was though as it was in the Total bill and didn't look ;)

You won't regret it as the waiters have there Guitars at the ready and are well rehearsed :D

Anymore questions..fire away :)

Only photo I had :) notice the cake..I'm a bit tight :p

P1000106.jpg

Is the cake that chocolate coloured thing with the cherry on? lol.:D

Oh! it must be, I just noticed the candle.

Seriously, I have seen pictures of the Celebration cake which is £12 I think. About as big as a regular sponge cake with icing but they do make a fuss over the recipient.:)

Jan

Hi,

My best mate and myself are travelling on the IE on the 3rd April (not long to go, very excited). We are sharing a room but wondered if any one knew if we would be able to get seperate accounts for drinks or if we are going to have to share? We didnt go AI as we only booked recently and at £200 each it seemed a bit steep, specially as I'm a lightweight so don't drink much.

Thanks.

Pam.

Everything goes on the "Card" not just drinks.

1, Drinks.

2, Excursions.

3, Photographs.

4, On Board shop Items.

Plus you can leave a drink for me :D Im in Cabin 5234 june 19th ;)

I'm sure there are more Items..but brain fuddled :confused:

A la carte meals as well. You can get check your account at any time at Reception but they will push copies under your door later in the week. It was a bit confusing for us last time as we had an amount put down to the show lounge and we hadn't spent in there. Later we realized it was for the bottle of water we had bought at the gangway when we went off ship one day. My OH loves the card system as he finds it a break not having to find cash in the near dark in the bar.:)

Jan

Island Escape is great for a first cruise. It's informal, relaxed and is basically a floating 3 star hotel.

The only time I wouldn't recommend Island cruises is for those who have been on other cruises such as RCI, Princess, P&O, Celebrity etc. The ship standards are a mile apart but that certainly doesn't make Island Cruises bad.

The Island Escape was the first cruise I did and I loved every minute of it. I wouldn't do it again though.

Archived