Age has its perks

Bridge Maven

people may feel very happy when they buy something new but that feeling usually doesn't last very long, while an individual experience might be relatively short but it can provide wonderful memories that last a lifetime.

Ain't that the truth!!!!!:D

Being less than 40, I don't qualify as a "senior", but this is my philosophy...

Live for today, but plan for tomorrow...

My father died 30 years ago this week, ago with my sister who was 16 years old in an accident. In the following years, I watched my Mom live with the regrets of not doing things with Dad while he was still with us. When I got married, I told my DH that wasn't going to be me. We ARE going to make memories together, while we are still togther... No regrets over what may have been or we should have done.

So, we cruise once a year or so, maybe camp a couple of weekends, save like mad for retirement (not far away now, with early retirement), make plans for "dream vacations", like Panama Canal...or Australia (March!) and live life everyday.

On cruise vacation, we save where we can, without compromising our comfort or fun...stay in large rooms in hotels when we are spending a few days, book at least a verendah onboard, take cabs or hire drivers when needed, rent cars when we want, walk when we want...

Lots of people say "when we retire, we are going to....." Quite often that time doesn't come around. If you don't make the time to do some things now, you won't then either...

I've discovered that the GV line is excellent. The coffee is just as good as Folgers and the other products are top quality also. I only found one product that was not exceptional and that was the GV worchestershire sauce (very watery). Try the Lea and Perrins 'thick' sauce!

I never buy cruise insurance. That 20-25% price tag is outrageous and I don't buy into their scare tactics. Our savings thus far has already bought us a couple 'free' cruises. To me cruise insurance is akin to buying accidental life insurance in case you are struck by lightning on the fifth Tuesday of the month in a leap year. It's nothing more than 'protection' money like Al Capone charged his customers in Chicago.

Just a thought regarding insurance. Firstly, if you're paying 20-25% for cruise insurance, you're being ripped off. Also, insurance is a gamble, however, we have had to cancel 2 out of our past 3 cruises due to family deaths, & as a result of our travel insurance, have recouped every penny, which would have been lost, over $7500 for the both cruises. One cruise was covered by a policy givan as a perk from our TA, & the other was covered by a policy that cost $278. In addition, some policies cover the cost of being medically transferred back home, which can run into very big dollars. Unfortunately, the older we get, the greater the chance of a medical emergency.

Again, everyone should decide what's best for themselves, but I am glad that we decided to have insurance. It's the one thing you spend $$ on that you hope, the money was wasted!

Just a thought regarding insurance. Firstly, if you're paying 20-25% for cruise insurance, you're being ripped off. Also, insurance is a gamble, however, we have had to cancel 2 out of our past 3 cruises due to family deaths, & as a result of our travel insurance, have recouped every penny, which would have been lost, over $7500 for the both cruises. One cruise was covered by a policy givan as a perk from our TA, & the other was covered by a policy that cost $278. In addition, some policies cover the cost of being medically transferred back home, which can run into very big dollars. Unfortunately, the older we get, the greater the chance of a medical emergency.

Again, everyone should decide what's best for themselves, but I am glad that we decided to have insurance. It's the one thing you spend $$ on that you hope, the money was wasted!

Richsea - I would like to ask a question pertaining to cancelling a cruise because of a death in the family. If that person died from an illness they had before you bought your travel insurance, would that be considered to be a pre-existing condition?

Richsea - I would like to ask a question pertaining to cancelling a cruise because of a death in the family. If that person died from an illness they had before you bought your travel insurance, would that be considered to be a pre-existing condition?

That was the case both times with us; the illness predated the policy, but the insurance company never brought it up. We were just asked to provide a death certificate, among other papers. In both cases, the companies were very specific with what they required, &once it was provided, they were prompt with the settlement check

That was the case both times with us; the illness predated the policy, but the insurance company never brought it up. We were just asked to provide a death certificate, among other papers. In both cases, the companies were very specific with what they required, &once it was provided, they were prompt with the settlement check

Rich - Thank you for answering my question. It is helpful to know that :)

It is nice to read about so many of us doing what we feel is best for our own situations. I am retired, but still work part time just to supplement our trips to Europe. I don't like taking any money out of our savings, so this works well for me. I really enjoy working, as I am doing something that is really important and not just making money. My husband and i are very active individuals and really enjoy our vacations and their memories. I feel so lucky to be able to go to Europe and have our health too. Furthermore, visiting other cultures and traveling is invaluable for one's perspective!:)

I am not Richsea! However, when my late sister-in-law passed away, we were supposed to go to London for a week. We got papers from the hospital (she was suffering from cancer and the doctor told us not to go). Our insurance refunded us all the

money. Obviously, this was a pre-existing illness. My advice would be to check with your insurance exactly what would be covered. It is better to know beforehand. No surprises.

I am not Richsea! However' date=' when my late sister-in-law passed away, we were supposed to go to London for a week. We got papers from the hospital (she was suffering from cancer and the doctor told us not to go). Our insurance refunded us all the

money. Obviously, this was a pre-existing illness. My advice would be to check with your insurance exactly what would be covered. It is better to know beforehand. No surprises.[/quote']

I think the preexisting factor applies to the one getting the insurance and not to family members not on the ship. H

Archived