Age has its perks

Bridge Maven

Do you find as you are getting older that you are more willing to spend money on perks when you cruise that you once considered to be a waste of money - such as better cabins, two cabins for three people instead of just one, more upscale pre-cruise hotels, upscale restaurants in a port, a more convenient flight that costs more, etc.

Do you find as you are getting older that you are more willing to spend money on perks when you cruise that you once considered to be a waste of money - such as better cabins, two cabins for three people instead of just one, more upscale pre-cruise hotels, upscale restaurants in a port, a more convenient flight that costs more, etc.

Yes, does that disease have a name :D?

Most definitely. As the song says "we may never pass this way again". We now realize that there only so many years to travel to all the places we want to go. Have to make the most of each experience and that includes enjoying some treats. We save at home and allow ourselves perks when we travel.

Agree, we have paid more, for a long time to save wear and tear on the body, especially on international travel. We always fly in ahead of time. We always hire a taxi or private car service. We aren't rich but these are perks that we consider well worth it.

I totally agree and I am only 48 :) I book no less than CC, Premium drink package, whatever tours that catch my eye, half the nights I do the specialty dinning. Its nice to get all the expense out of the way and prepaid. My last cruise (a week ago) My onboard expenses were 80$ and even that was incorrect as I was suppose to get $100.00 OBC and only got $50.00

Yes and then you say well we can't go back to a smaller room or economy flights

I caught the disease rather early so the pensions savings are being compromised

The motto - you never know what the future will bring so we will live for now started after a dear colleague sadly only enjoyed 2 weeks of retirement

I agree, I find it some what amusing the writing of some people. I say if you can't go first class stay home. This is our first cruise we like space so we will be in the penthouse, with private cars to and from the hotel. There is nothing wrong with that, as you said you do reach that certain age.:)

I'm definitely making decisions on WHERE to go (and not to go) based on my age. We were on a road trip in November, and the knowledge that I'd likely not be returning to some spots in my lifetime made me appreciate them more. Additionally, we're trying to get in the physically intense trips now while we are very much able-bodied (we're not seniors yet). We've seen too many people on cruises who clearly waited too long to take that "trip of a lifetime."

An emphatic YES! As uktog mentioned, you never know what life will bring you. You work hard to get where you are now so why not enjoy the little perks ;)

I totally agree, we do it exactly the same way.

Especially when it comes to international flights it is much nicer NOT to travel in economy class.

We always enjoy our vacation as much as possible - you never know, maybe it's the last...

Yup, we don't see getting a EuroRail pass, toss a loaf of bread, a chunk of cheese and a bottle of wine into our knapsack and head off to who knows where, finding a place when we get to 'who knows where'. Now, we pick a nice hotel (don't require a 'US quality' type, but...), make specific plans of what to do and where to go, always get a veranda SR or a CC/AQ, and so on.

I don't really go with upgraded flights much. I stick with a standard airline (none of the discount ones!), but stay in cattle-car. Still just read and relax on the flight. I'm a short guy so it's not a big thing...upgrades would be nice, but I save those bucks for other upgrades, even flying to Europe....we just bite the bullet.

So yes, we add the upgrades, realizing that one very bad experience can really sour the trip a bit.

Funny, remember the ad that the two guys measured everything in 'hamburgers': 'Boy, that would cost 25 bugers!' and so on.....we now 'price' everything in cruises: 'Boy, that thing would cost 1/2 a cruise, I don't need it more than a cruise!'.

Enjoy your 'upgrades' and remember, someone's waste of money for some 'minor' upgrade is your basic standard......That's why I find the: 'is CC or AQ or a Suite worth it?' impossible to answer - Can't say. Haven't gone with a Suite yet, and shutter each time we are invited to a friend's suite and I watch my wife start getting 'that look'!

Den

I figure they get the house, so we're going to spend the $ $ $ lol

We are Skiers

We are Spending kids inheritance

and overtime downsizing the house is a distinct possibility

I am 41, but I travel with my mom who is a bit older than I;). I unfortunately do not have the luxury of going First Class all of the time; however, I do not look for ways to save money by making my vacation more work. I book direct flights when at all feasible, we stay in nicer hotel pre or post cruise, we use car service or a taxi to the airport / ports, and we book minisuites (on Princess) for the extra room and bigger bathroom. I am going on my first Celebrity cruise since 2005 and I am in CC. The size may be a shock to my mom, but I am not retired and cannot afford the suite life right now.

We also enjoy the specialty restaurants and specialty dining choices, i.e. Chef's Table, Champagne Brunch on our verandah, etc. I agree with all of the comments about enjoying your vacations. After all, you earned it!!:D:D

I am 41, but I travel with my mom who is a bit older than I;). I unfortunately do not have the luxury of going First Class all of the time; however, I do not look for ways to save money by making my vacation more work. I book direct flights when at all feasible, we stay in nicer hotel pre or post cruise, we use car service or a taxi to the airport / ports, and we book minisuites (on Princess) for the extra room and bigger bathroom. I am going on my first Celebrity cruise since 2005 and I am in CC. The size may be a shock to my mom, but I am not retired and cannot afford the suite life right now.

We also enjoy the specialty restaurants and specialty dining choices, i.e. Chef's Table, Champagne Brunch on our verandah, etc. I agree with all of the comments about enjoying your vacations. After all, you earned it!!:D:D

We've gone mini-suite on Princess and standard SR on Celebrity. Yes, the Mini is larger, but personally, I think you'll find the Celebrity standard to be just fine. We went with the Princess Mini because there was No room to have friends over. The Celebrity SR has a couch and seating that accomodates a few friends, and we find that just fine. The Princess Mini BR is larger, but it has a bathtub which I don't think is that handy and gets in the way since we always shower. A waste of space of us. So I think the Celebrity standard will be just fine for you, hopefully.

Den

just paid more for a direct flight from NS to Fl for our next cruise. A no-brainer. Hubby and are are both from large families and have issues with paying high prices for food. We only care about eating healthy. Booked an inside for our

TA and a C class for the Med. We are very happy with our decision! Leaves lots of pension check to put towards the next vacation.

Since we're talking senior discounts :)

Restaurants

• Applebee’s: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)
  • Arby’s: 10% off (55+)
  • Ben & Jerry’s: 10% off (60+)
  • Bennigan’s: discount varies by location
  • Bob’s Big Boy: discount varies by location (60+)
  • Boston Market: 10% off (65+)
  • Burger King: 10% off (60+)
  • Captain D’s Seafood: discount varies on location (62+)
  • Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee (55+)
  • Chili’s: 10% off (55+)
  • CiCi’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)
  • Culver’s: 10% off (60+)
  • Denny’s: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members (55+)
  • Dunkin’ Donuts: 10% off or free coffee (55+)
  • Einstein’s Bagels: 10% off baker’s dozen of bagels (60+)
  • Fuddrucker’s: 10% off any senior platter (55+)
  • Gatti’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)
  • Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)
  • Hardee’s: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)
  • IHOP: 10% off (55+)
  • Jack in the Box: up to 20% off (55+)
  • KFC: free small drink with any meal (55+)
  • Krispy Kreme: 10% off (50+)
  • Long John Silver’s: various discounts at participating locations (55+)
  • McDonald’s: discounts on coffee everyday (55+)
  • Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)
  • Shoney’s: 10% off
  • Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)
  • Steak ‘n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday (50+)
  • Subway: 10% off (60+)
  • Sweet Tomatoes 10% off (62+)
  • Taco Bell: 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)
  • TCBY: 10% off (55+)
  • Tea Room Cafe: 10% off (50+)
  • Village Inn: 10% off (60+)
  • Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)
  • Wendy’s: 10% off (55+)
  • White Castle: 10% off (62+)

Retail and Apparel

• Banana Republic: 10% off (50+)
  • Bealls: 20% off first Tuesday of each month (50+)
  • Belk’s: 15% off first Tuesday of every month (55+)
  • Bon-Ton Department Stores: 15% off on senior discount days (55+)
  • C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)
  • Clarks: 10% off (62+)
  • Dress Barn: 10% off (55+)
  • Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
  • Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
  • Kohl’s: 15% off (60+)
  • Modell’s Sporting Goods: 10% off
  • Rite Aid: 10% off on Tuesdays & 10% off prescriptions
  • Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday (55+)
  • The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: up to 50% off (55+)
  • Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month (55+)

Grocery

• Albertson’s: 10% off first Wednesday of each month (55+)
  • American Discount Stores: 10% off every Monday (50+)
  • Compare Foods Supermarket: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)
  • DeCicco Family Markets: 5% off every Wednesday (60+)
  • Food Lion: 6% off every Monday (60+)
  • Fry’s Supermarket: free Fry’s VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday (55+), or 10% first Wednesday of every month
  • Great Valu Food Store: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
  • Gristedes Supermarket: 10% off every Tuesday (60+)
  • Harris Teeter: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
  • Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (date varies by location)
  • Kroger: 10% off (date varies by location)
  • Morton Williams Supermarket: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
  • The Plant Shed: 10% off every Tuesday (50+)
  • Publix: 5% off every Wednesday (60+; only valid outside FL)
  • Rogers Marketplace: 5% off every Thursday (60+)
  • Uncle Guiseppe’s Marketplace: 5% off (62+)

Travel

• Alaska Airlines: 10% off (65+)
  • Alamo: up to 25% off for AARP members
  • American Airlines: various discounts for 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
  • Amtrak: 15% off (62+)
  • Avis: up to 25% off for AARP members
  • Best Western: 10% off (55+)
  • Budget Rental Cars: 10% off; up to 20% off for AARP members (50+)
  • Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Clarion: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Continental Airlines: no initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club & special fares for select destinations
  • Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off (50+)
  • Econo Lodge: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5% off for AARP members
  • Greyhound: 5% off (62+)
  • Hampton Inns & Suites: 10% off when booked 72 hours in advance
  • Hertz: up t0 25% off for AARP members
  • Holiday Inn: 10%-30% off depending on location (62+)
  • Hyatt Hotels: 25%-50% off (62+)
  • InterContinental Hotels Group: various discounts at all hotels (65+)
  • Mainstay Suites: 10% off with Mature Traveler’s Discount (50+); 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Marriott Hotels: 15% off (62+)
  • Motel 6: 10% off (60+)
  • Myrtle Beach Resort: 10% off (55+)
  • National Rent-A-Car: up to 30% off for AARP members
  • Quality Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Sleep Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
  • Southwest Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
  • Trailways Transportation System: various discounts for ages 50 and up
  • United Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
  • U.S. Airways: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)

Activities & Entertainment

• AMC Theaters: up to 30% off (55+)
  • Bally Total Fitness: up to $100 off memberships (62+)
  • Busch Gardens Tampa: $3 off one-day tickets (50+)
  • Carmike Cinemas: 35% off (65+)
  • Cinemark/Century Theaters: up to 35% off
  • U.S. National Parks: $10 lifetime pass; 50% off additional services including camping (62+)
  • Regal Cinemas: 30% off
  • Ripley’s Believe it or Not: @ off one-day ticket (55+)
  • SeaWorld Orlando: $3 off one-day tickets (50+)

Cell Phone Discounts

• AT&T: Special Senior Nation 200 Plan $29.99/month (65+)
  • Jitterbug: $10/month cell phone service (50+)
  • Verizon Wireless: Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan $29.99/month (65+)

Miscellaneous

• Great Clips: $3 off hair cuts (60+)
  • Super Cuts: $2 off haircuts (60+)

No, we do not. We still book inside cabins and try to save every penny we can not only when we travel, but when every we make a purchse. We do not make a lot of money and we just spent the past 4 years paying for our son's college education to Syracuse University. We don't seem to think it's necessary to spend money on more than what we actually need. Maybe it's the way we were brought up.

Now when my husband hits Powerball tonight you can be sure that I will upgrade my inside cabin to a Suite.

we now 'price' everything in cruises: 'Boy, that thing would cost 1/2 a cruise, I don't need it more than a cruise!'.

Den

I do the same thing!

But I do insist on a minimum of business class to Europe. I can't tell you what a difference that made on my last trip. No going back to steerage for me!

Hi Ghstudio,

Great list - though I found it amusing that Celebrity (and other Cruise lines) were omitted... as most lines offer discounts on selected sailings. Perhaps they were omitted as it's not an across the board discount.

Getting back on topic, after several passings in our family last year, My folks and I decided that we should enjoy life more, and bump things up a few notches. I think it was a wise decision.

There's 2 things sad about getting older. Becoming forgetful... and something else which I cannot recall :)

Getting back on topic, after several passings in our family last year, My folks and I decided that we should enjoy life more, and bump things up a few notches. I think it was a wise decision.

But if it comes down to cruising twice a year in an inside as opposed once a year in a CC class or above, I will take the inside and twice a year. Once your are out of your stateroom it doesn't really matter all that much for the most part.

Now if we can get corporate America to understand this concept. They are SO captured by the number of purchases that the 16-25YO demographic is making that they overlook the $$ purchases that the 50+ demographic is making. So 50+ customers are often overlooked.

Cruise/Travel industry understands that the 50+ demographic butters their bread and treat us fairly well, but so many other consumer products makers and retailers have not figured out that 50+ is more likely to HAVE disposable income!

I just gave Best Buy an "ear"ful in an on-line survey after a recent purchase. I came in to purchase a $1000 laptop, but left after waiting 25+ minutes to get ANYone to talk to me. Being female and over 40YO must be a contagious disease because I had sales associates actively avoiding a me turning around mid-aisle when they encountered me (or anyone else in my demographic). I left with a $40.00 ink cartridge and went to a local computer retailer asked my two remaining questions and purchased the item I had come into Best Buy originally looking for (it cost $42.00 more, but that is cheap compared to the aggravation).

Best Buy must have fowarded my survey to the local store manager who added insult to injury by addressing me as "Mr. Xyz" and apologizing for any "mix up" and asking that I give them another try. It was clear that he did not bother to read my rant, since he called me "Mr" twice. The reply was obviously a cut-and-paste of carefully boilerplated text that did not apply to my situation in any way.

So yes, I will pay more for a better experience and if all industry would understand that older consumers are willing to fork out bigger bucks for a better product, they could make more money marketing to a more mature audience than what they are currently making pandering to their current target market.

My answer to this is yes and no. There were many, many years when we had to be careful when grocery shopping not to exceed the budget or risk not being able to make the mortgage payment or buy gas for the car. About the time of our 25th anniversary, we had some extra money from selling some property, so we splurged on a once-in-a-lifetime, one whole week Caribbean cruise. Well, once in a lifetime is coming around once a year now, because we're finally at a point where we can buy the brand-name grape jelly instead of the store brand, so a cruise a year is something we've found we can afford. We'll still book a standard balcony, not CC or AQ (unless there's a price drop), and try to get a deal on a precruise hotel on Priceline. I'll squeeze into an economy seat on a plane, rather than paying several hundred dollars more so I can have a little more room in first class for a few hours. But we'll splurge on that $400 couples massage or pay $70 extra for dinner in the specialty restaurant, since it's something special that we only do once a year.

Archived