Birth certificate updates

janice2348

I read that vitalcheck has scammed a lot of people. I do have some time, but I will keep it in mind!

Scammed them how exactly? It may be less expensive to deal directly with the appropriate office of vital statistics rather than pay an additional service fee for VitalChek. That's not a scam, that's just a fee for the convenience.

VitalChek is a LexisNexis company. From their website: "LexisNexis® is a leading global provider of content-enabled workflow solutions designed specifically for professionals in the legal, risk management, corporate, government, law enforcement, accounting, and academic markets."

Attorneys rely on LexisNexis for various research and support services. Scamming attorneys would not be a smart plan.

I would recommend that anyone needing vital records actually read what services are offered by VitalChek, and also research how to obtain records directly, and finally make an informed choice.

Additionally, some governmental vital records offices actually refer people to VitalChek. Kansas is but one. Yes, I have used V/C and been very satisfied. They deliver exactly what they promise.

Scammed them how exactly? It may be less expensive to deal directly with the appropriate office of vital statistics rather than pay an additional service fee for VitalChek. That's not a scam, that's just a fee for the convenience.

VitalChek is a LexisNexis company. From their website: "LexisNexis® is a leading global provider of content-enabled workflow solutions designed specifically for professionals in the legal, risk management, corporate, government, law enforcement, accounting, and academic markets."

Attorneys rely on LexisNexis for various research and support services. Scamming attorneys would not be a smart plan.

I would recommend that anyone needing vital records actually read what services are offered by VitalChek, and also research how to obtain records directly, and finally make an informed choice.

Additionally, some governmental vital records offices actually refer people to VitalChek. Kansas is but one. Yes, I have used V/C and been very satisfied. They deliver exactly what they promise.

Not to believe everything on the internet, but there is a site where people register complaints-forget which one-and they pretty much said that they never got their documents and their information was sold to third parties. This would be a last resort for me, at over $70 total and a 5-10 day turnaround time. I have already sent to NY for my birth cert and they would do exactly the same thing. Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

It contains everything a birth certificate contains, which is why I'm so puzzled. Even a raised seal, and yes I checked the new criteria and it meets all of it. I couldn't get past the "guard" at the desk to even talk to anyone. Maybe I should call the passport agency and ask them. I went to a local storefront county store where they do passports among other things. Any advice?
You have me stumped. It seems to me it had to be something obvious for yours to be rejected in just a quick glance. I thought it was related to the parental name since you mentioned they told you the rules changed in April; that's is the only thing that changed in April.

Are there words to the effect of "this certifies that this is a true and correct copy of the birth record on file at township ABC" written or stamped near the signature or seal? My only other guess is that the certification is missing, and/or the title of the person issuing the document is not a city/county/state vital records dept. position.

If you still feel like pursuing this, I would start with the issuing township, find out the vital records clerk name, and send them a photocopy of what you have and ask them if it is what they issued as a certified birth certificate in the year yours was issued. If it is not, they can tell you why. If it is, they can tell you why it is no longer accepted.

LBNL, it may be that the guard who turned you away was wrong...you may be holding a valid certified BC and they were expecting a more recently issued computer-generated form from the state vital records department. Good Luck!

We went through this in 2003 when applying for my daughters passport. The county we live in went through a short period of time in the early 90's where they issued an "abstract of birth" they later deemed to be easy to counterfeit on a computer.

So we had to get her a new official birth certificate, it was issued through our county. I looked into VitalCheck at the time, I was in no hurry, I don't remember their exact charge at the time, it was around $20-30 extra,plus the cost of the document, plus shipping. I decided to apply online with our county direct instead and it ended up costing $10 and no shipping, I got the birth certificate in less than 10 days.

I'm sure they are fine for times when you have to expedite, or do a further search than you are willing to do yourself. But to give an agency an extra (I just looked it up and this is current) $39.99 just to look it up for you (it does not cover the actual charge for the document, that's extra) plus shipping? No thanks, I can do that myself in less than a half hour.

Different situation, but in a similar vein, I was born in Hudson County, NJ. It seems that that famously corrupt area issued so many fraudulent birth certificates, that theirs are no longer accepted as proof of birth. (There's a reason so many of the first WTC bombers were based in that area.) I had to obtain a state-issued one to have it recognized.

This involved also obtaining a copy of my marriage license from the town in which I was married since my name had changed. It was a time-consuming process, but I was fortunate in hearing about it before I had a pressing need for a BC. Others were not so fortunate and had to scramble to get a valid birth certificate.

We live in a complicated world.

You have me stumped. It seems to me it had to be something obvious for yours to be rejected in just a quick glance. I thought it was related to the parental name since you mentioned they told you the rules changed in April; that's is the only thing that changed in April.

Are there words to the effect of "this certifies that this is a true and correct copy of the birth record on file at township ABC" written or stamped near the signature or seal? My only other guess is that the certification is missing, and/or the title of the person issuing the document is not a city/county/state vital records dept. position.

If you still feel like pursuing this, I would start with the issuing township, find out the vital records clerk name, and send them a photocopy of what you have and ask them if it is what they issued as a certified birth certificate in the year yours was issued. If it is not, they can tell you why. If it is, they can tell you why it is no longer accepted.

LBNL, it may be that the guard who turned you away was wrong...you may be holding a valid certified BC and they were expecting a more recently issued computer-generated form from the state vital records department. Good Luck!

Its a birth registration. It has never been a problem til now. I called the passport office and they verified its not acceptible. I have already sent for my Bc. All I can do now is wait. I know its confusing since it has all the required information. The only difference is that it says registration of birth not certificate if birth. Its just beauracracy. Utterly stupider Imho.

As I was reading this thread I was thinking about when I needed to get my birth certificate a few years ago. My husband is in the military so we were stationed 1400 miles from home, I had to do this online. I was "forced" to use VitalChek as my only option, and I had no issues. I'm from Kansas so it was interesting to see you post about that.

Has anyone tried Vitalcheck.com? It's very easy. All you need is you DOB, city of birth and state. There's even a box to check if you don't know the city of birth.

Fairly cheap and fast!

VitalCheck does not always work. My husband was born in Pensacola, and Escambia County does not work with vitalcheck.

I had to mail in a form from their website with a check. Getting a check was the biggest pain, I havent written a check in YEARS and had to order some because I didn't have any.

When I ordered mine from Georgia through vitalcheck, it was $50 vs going to Cobb County Government and paying $30

!

I ordered my sons and my own from Georgia and they were very detailed. I got my husbands from Florida and it had so little information, I was SURE it wasn't right. It doesn't have the time, weight, Dr, hospital and a few other small things that mine had.

It does have the watermark, seal, and words at the bottom so I assume he will be ok.

I ordered my sons and my own from Georgia and they were very detailed. I got my husbands from Florida and it had so little information, I was SURE it wasn't right. It doesn't have the time, weight, Dr, hospital and a few other small things that mine had.

It does have the watermark, seal, and words at the bottom so I assume he will be ok.

Since 9/11 everything has changed. I'm glad I posted this because I know people show up at the dock and might be refused boarding. It pays to check and also get a passport so I never have to go through this again. Lets face it the times most of us were born was a simpler time. Sigh......I will let you all know when I get it. Lets hope all my other papers are ok. I really want to go on this cruise but its such a hassle!

Since 9/11 everything has changed. I'm glad I posted this because I know people show up at the dock and might be refused boarding. It pays to check and also get a passport so I never have to go through this again. Lets face it the times most of us were born was a simpler time. Sigh......I will let you all know when I get it. Lets hope all my other papers are ok. I really want to go on this cruise but its such a hassle!

Make sure his has both parents names- check the new guidelines. Mine has all of it but is still no good

I feel so bad all you are going through. It just shouldn't be this hard.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

I am finding it interesting to 'follow along'.

Good luck. Hopefully, you are 'almost there'. :)

My daughter-in-law has a credit card sized laminated thing that she calls her birth certificate. I don't think this is going to be enough. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Some states issue card sized abstracts or short forms, but not all are considered legal birth certificates. Some are, some aren't. It really depends on what authority issued the card, and what data is contained on it.

Archived