The Fifth Estate - "The Wreck of the Costa Concordia"

Cupcrazy

Alpmac ... I think i would be tempted to leave the ones in the cabin and get 2 from the muster station out on deck, but then again it would depend on the nature of the emergancy and a quick risk assesment.

If you find out when this will be available in the US, could you please let us know? I have tried getting to see the show, but it continually says it is for Canadians only,:(

I'll keep checking for you. Along with checking YouTube and other online sites.

The deputy Mayor was really an incredible person and a brave man. His own experiences with losing his Mother must have really helped him do what he did. I was stunned when he talked about forgiveness.

Just an aside: I noticed the deputy Mayor was wearing a "Canada Goose" coat when being interviewed by the CBC. Canada Goose makes outstanding down-filled Jackets/Coats in Canada. I thought that was neat and wondered if anyone else noticed.

The program itself was informative...outstanding work by the Fifth Estate.

There is a video on youtube reported by ABC 20/20 maybe some of you have seen it? a Woman passenger cleary states that Schettino had someone come whisper in his ear and they got up and ran off and so that is when he was aware that they were in real big trouble!

9-42pm ship hits the Rock ok ... so if Schettino did not get up from the Dining room until this time as stated by the passenger then he could not have been on the Bridge when the ship was holed!!

I thought the infrared video footage from the helecopter showing the chain of people on the bottom of the hull was amazing. Also, the email between two captains trying to "one-up" each other by getting closer to the island? And the Canadian couple saying that the experienced cruisers were lined up solid on the 15ft x 800ft lifeboat deck area prior to the abandon ship being announced. Very interesting documentary.

I'm not Canadian, there is a CBC station among our bzillion cable channels.

There is a video on youtube reported by ABC 20/20 maybe some of you have seen it? a Woman passenger cleary states that Schettino had someone come whisper in his ear and they got up and ran off and so that is when he was aware that they were in real big trouble!

9-42pm ship hits the Rock ok ... so if Schettino did not get up from the Dining room until this time as stated by the passenger then he could not have been on the Bridge when the ship was holed!!

The program reports that the Captain had asked to be informed when the ship was 5 miles from shore so he could personally take over command for the "bow". He received that news, rushed to the bridge and proceeded to wreck the ship.

I watched this show thanks to the link

A few things upset me Authorities now have proof the Captain left the ship with most of the officers 1 hour after hitting the rocks and sounding abandon ship alarm at around 11pm He tripped and fell in the lifeboat ...with his officers ...gee how lucky!!!!

The CREW was left to rescue the pax Pax were repeatedly told ..NO PROBLEM ...go back to your Cabins

The Mayor was the last one to leave the ship The Captain was on shore

People were rescued in daylight ...5 hours after captain left

What can we say about this mess TRUST your Instinct I f you sense something is wrong on ship you are probably not wrong

Had he sounded the alarm or called a MAYDAY No one would have perished

Such a shame

THe Captain disconnected the alarms and hand manoeuvred the close up THis should never be permitted again They were there for a reason The ship behaved as it should ...the Captain did not ...all this to IMPRESS who exactly ...his girlfriend or Giglio

mmemichelle ...

Scarborough....

I noticed the Canada Goose jacket as well...thought I would be the only one that did. For some reason they are hugely popular...and expensive..... in Italy. Last summer when my cousins from Italy were here they purchased four jackets, vacuum packed them in those special garment bags, and brought them home. Cheers!

I was so glad I could watch this show. The Deputy Mayor was a real hero! What a brave man. As soon as the first lifeboat went to shore, he went to the ship on it, to organize and rescue people. Not one officer was found (seen) on the ship by then! He pulled up people stuck with his own hands. He lost his mother in a ship accident when he was 5. He is such a wonderful person.

Just an aside: I noticed the deputy Mayor was wearing a "Canada Goose" coat when being interviewed by the CBC. Canada Goose makes outstanding down-filled Jackets/Coats in Canada. I thought that was neat and wondered if anyone else noticed.

I did notice the Canada Goose jacket and laughed. Funny that people are picking this out.

I wish we could have seen the show here instead of 20/20. That one was kind of a joke.

Anyway, concerning the e-mail, if it was sent a few weeks beforehand, did he have any other cruises around that time (like a week later). How do we know that this e-mail was directed to what he did at that time? Just thoughts.

where is the proof that such an E mail exists or existed? with the number of changes of different clothing that are supposed to have been found in Schettinos cabin as reported in different press stories it is becoming increasingly difficult to believe anything they say.

With regard to the women's clothing found in Schettino's cabin.....his wife and 16 year old daughter disembarked in Civitavecchia, so there is every chance that they left things behind in his cabin...especially the 16 year old !

Janice Donoff in the UK programme says they left the dining room at 9pm and the Captain was still there.

11:23 p.m. The Concordia reports it has a large tear on its right side.

So was this a gaffe by the programme makers or is there also a hole on the Starboard side ?

It's a CBC political leaning, everything bad happens on the "right".

With regard to the women's clothing found in Schettino's cabin.....his wife and 16 year old daughter disembarked in Civitavecchia, so there is every chance that they left things behind in his cabin...especially the 16 year old !

All the quotes in the Italian papers have the 25 year old blonde admitting the items were hers when questioned by prosecutors.

All the quotes in the Italian papers have the 25 year old blonde admitting the items were hers when questioned by prosecutors.

Do you have a link? I looked at a google translation of La Repubblica and didn't find anything that said that. (At least not in Google-English!)

Do you have a link? I looked at a google translation of La Repubblica and didn't find anything that said that. (At least not in Google-English!)

"Abiti della ragazza moldava nella cabina di Schettino"

http://www3.lastampa.it/cronache/sezioni/articolo/lstp/440953/

The translations come out rough, but it there doesn't seem to be any dispute that the clothes in Schettino's cabin belong to Domnica Cemortan.

She told the prosecutors that they are hers.

The black box will hopefully answer many questions about what happened on the bridge that night.

Wow--wife gets off in Civitavecchia; blonde gets on--no downtime for him, huh?:rolleyes:

She told the prosecutors that they are hers.

Thanks for the link, but you're right, the translation is rough. I'm seeing that the newspaper reported there was basically no doubt they were hers, but I can't see that she said anything or how they know they were hers.

I guess I'll have to wait for a better source. I keep hoping that after or during the trial, they'll post true translations of all the depositions! After reading multiple contradictory media versions of everything, I'm desperate to know what they actually said!

Archived