what if HC room no longer needed??

kassimer1

Hello. We have booked a cruise for nov 2012 on explorer of the seas in a HC room. DH is currently disabled due to his heart condition. we had to cancel our last cruise (nov 2011) because 3 days before embarkation day he worsened and they had to put in an internal heart pump. We are hoping he will qualify for a transplant and then he may be fine for the cruise. But since HC rooms are hard to come by we booked it early. I would hate to take a HC room from someone if he no longer needs it but all insides for 3 people are sold out already, In this case what would RCCI do? Also if he doesnt get the transplant then he plans to come on the cruise Therfore the reason we booked it. What happens if it gets close to the cruise and he is unable to come due to a not to serious reason and my son and I still want to go? ( it is an early High school graduation for our son because he loves the teen lounge and if we wait til graduation he would be 18 and not allowed in the teen areas ) If it is serious we wont go either like this last time but due to the machine DH now has in him small reasons may make him not be able to go and his parents said they would help him out if we had to go without him. now it is a preexisting condition so we would not be able to get our money back. Do they ever have a list of people that wanted HC but it was already sold out that they would swap us for if we no longer need it? I know it is a different situation but hoping someone knows from experience.

Hello. We have booked a cruise for nov 2012 on explorer of the seas in a HC room. DH is currently disabled due to his heart condition. we had to cancel our last cruise (nov 2011) because 3 days before embarkation day he worsened and they had to put in an internal heart pump. We are hoping he will qualify for a transplant and then he may be fine for the cruise. But since HC rooms are hard to come by we booked it early. I would hate to take a HC room from someone if he no longer needs it but all insides for 3 people are sold out already, In this case what would RCCI do? Also if he doesnt get the transplant then he plans to come on the cruise Therfore the reason we booked it. What happens if it gets close to the cruise and he is unable to come due to a not to serious reason and my son and I still want to go? ( it is an early High school graduation for our son because he loves the teen lounge and if we wait til graduation he would be 18 and not allowed in the teen areas ) If it is serious we wont go either like this last time but due to the machine DH now has in him small reasons may make him not be able to go and his parents said they would help him out if we had to go without him. now it is a preexisting condition so we would not be able to get our money back. Do they ever have a list of people that wanted HC but it was already sold out that they would swap us for if we no longer need it? I know it is a different situation but hoping someone knows from experience.

At this point in time you are playing the "What If Game" and should just seat tight and don't even contact RCCL at this point. A lot can still happen between now and November 2012. Even if DH has a transplant before the cruise, recovery isn't instantly so you might still need the HC cabin.

If it does come to pass that the HC cabin really isn't needed, my suggestion is to call RCCL at that time that actually is determined and not now. At that time contact RCCL and let them know that your needs have changed and you are willing to change cabins provided you do not incurr any additional cost. Many times there are people wait listed for an HC cabin up until the final payment period.

At this point in time you are playing the "What If Game" and should just seat tight and don't even contact RCCL at this point. A lot can still happen between now and November 2012. Even if DH has a transplant before the cruise, recovery isn't instantly so you might still need the HC cabin.

If it does come to pass that the HC cabin really isn't needed, my suggestion is to call RCCL at that time that actually is determined and not now. At that time contact RCCL and let them know that your needs have changed and you are willing to change cabins provided you do not incurr any additional cost. Many times there are people wait listed for an HC cabin up until the final payment period.

thanks. i was hoping there was a list. I will play the wait and see game.

I am guessing that your husband has not had a full evaluation (or perhaps none at all yet) for a heart transplant.

It is early February now. If your husband were to have a heart transplant *tomorrow* the earliest he could cruise, or be in any sort of a crowd, would be AUGUST. Since he's not having one now, and he has to be super cautious about infection for six months, November sounds like it may not be possible for him; if he gets on the waiting list in the next month or two there is no telling when he will be lucky enough to get a heart. He may get one right away, and he could wait a month or two or more.

My husband went through an evaluation for a heart transplant about ten years ago at UCLA. Besides the physical exam by a cardiologist there are all sorts of other considerations. You get evaluated by a dentist who makes sure you have no cavities, you have an ENT check you out and then he gives you an ointment you put in your nostrils each day to repel inhaling the cooties (germs), and you (the patient) and the carer (spouse, etc) have meetings with a social worker and others who explain how it all works. Among other things are the staying away from crowds, fresh dirt and plantings, etc.

Its only one vacation. Hopefully your husband will get the transplant and then have many other happy vacations to spend with you.

M.

I am guessing that your husband has not had a full evaluation (or perhaps none at all yet) for a heart transplant.

It is early February now. If your husband were to have a heart transplant *tomorrow* the earliest he could cruise, or be in any sort of a crowd, would be AUGUST. Since he's not having one now, and he has to be super cautious about infection for six months, November sounds like it may not be possible for him; if he gets on the waiting list in the next month or two there is no telling when he will be lucky enough to get a heart. He may get one right away, and he could wait a month or two or more.

My husband went through an evaluation for a heart transplant about ten years ago at UCLA. Besides the physical exam by a cardiologist there are all sorts of other considerations. You get evaluated by a dentist who makes sure you have no cavities, you have an ENT check you out and then he gives you an ointment you put in your nostrils each day to repel inhaling the cooties (germs), and you (the patient) and the carer (spouse, etc) have meetings with a social worker and others who explain how it all works. Among other things are the staying away from crowds, fresh dirt and plantings, etc.

Its only one vacation. Hopefully your husband will get the transplant and then have many other happy vacations to spend with you.

M.

we had started the process and they said they would list him on dec 1, 11 but 2 weeks before that he had to get the Heart pump so they wanted to hold off and see how he does with that . If he is doing well with it they might not list him til the pump starts failing - seems crazy to me. - they know it will most likely fail with in 4 yrs ( thats what the doctor told us) I would think you would want to list him now just in case he fails fast but im not the doctor. So if they dont list him that is when he would go on trip. If they do list him they said it would be about 3 months for a heart because he can take 2 blood types. If he gets the heart he cant travel for 6 months. we go back to the doctor on wedsnesday. we should know more. i was just feeling bad after reading how hard it is to get a HC room. I certainly do not want it if he doesnt come with. I am perfectally happy in a small inside room. Actually Before he got sick we got upgraded on a carnival from inside to balcony because they said they upgraded our room to another inside with out our ok and i dont call right on top of the kareoke stage an upgrade. I complained so the only one they had open was a balcony. DS suffers from terrible migraines and it is so dark in an inside it is wonderfull for him. Light and noise hurts his head worse when he has one. At home In the bedroom we have the darkest thick drapes you could buy so no light comes in. So the balcony was nice because it was bigger and had the balcony but was worse when he was hurting. I was glad they have a list so the needful person can get it. Thanks for your reply.

Archived