Mass on Easter Sunday

dundeene

Will there be a priest onboard Marina on Easter Sunday? It looks like there was both a priest and Rabbi on the cruise over Christmas/Chanukah.

On Christmas, the service consisted of a broadcast of the Mass from St. Peter's Basilica shown in the Marina lounge. Definitely no priest. I don't know about the Midnight Mass.

The Chanukah candle lighting was listed on the daily program as non-host. Anyone who took a lead role in this apparently did so unofficially.

Back when we sailed on the QE2 (twice) they had a Catholic priest on board and a room where Jewish services were held. I don't really remember but I think it was rather hit or miss. But the Catholic services were more likely to occur than Jewish, and I'm not at all sure if they had Protestant clergy on board.

I don't recall Oceania ever having clergy on board on our cruises (although we never sailed at holiday times). On our Panama Canal cruise about 10 years ago one of our passengers was a cantor and she led the Jewish services on board.

I guess it's easier for larger ships to have such personnel available ...

But I do think that if people want to hold their own service (assuming no clergy are on board) the staff would accommodate you.

Mura

On Christmas, the service consisted of a broadcast of the Mass from St. Peter's Basilica shown in the Marina lounge. Definitely no priest. I don't know about the Midnight Mass.

The Chanukah candle lighting was listed on the daily program as non-host. Anyone who took a lead role in this apparently did so unofficially.

No clergy needed for Chanukah candle lighting as it is a home observance...

No clergy needed for Chanukah candle lighting as it is a home observance...

Absolutely.

Some practical issues: I don't know what role Marina played in providing the menorah or the candles -- or even if real candles were allowed given usual fire regulations. Most likely some Jewish guests contacted Marina in advance to learn whether or not they, as guests, would have to supply the necessary equipment.

I know that one gentleman arrived on board having researched the location of synagogues at any of the ports on the itinerary (There's a gem on Barbados). He attended the candle lighting to distribute the copies of his research to any attendees.

Absolutely.

Some practical issues: I don't know what role Marina played in providing the menorah or the candles -- or even if real candles were allowed given usual fire regulations. Most likely some Jewish guests contacted Marina in advance to learn whether or not they, as guests, would have to supply the necessary equipment.

I know that one gentleman arrived on board having researched the location of synagogues at any of the ports on the itinerary (There's a gem on Barbados). He attended the candle lighting to distribute the copies of his research to any attendees.

We've visited the synagogues in almost all of our cruise ports and on land trips. Do your research in advance since, especially in Europe, most are only open to view by appointment. Unfortunately security is a huge problem and many require information from you from home before they will admit you to the building.

In October we did a tour of the Jewish sites in Istanbul and we had to apply to the rabbinate in advance. They wanted copies of our passports in advance and we also had to have our passport on hand when we got there.

They have had two bombing incidents (the most recent was 2003 I think) and so there is a good reason for their caution!

If anyone is interested in doing such a tour, bear in mind that the synagogues themselves have started requiring a "voluntary" cash donation of all visitors.

Mura

Will there be a priest onboard Marina on Easter Sunday? It looks like there was both a priest and Rabbi on the cruise over Christmas/Chanukah.

Marina will be at Livorno, Italy on Easter Sunday.

Wouldn't it be more memorable to celebrate Easter at one of the following cathedrals in Firenze (Florence), Pisa, Lucca, or even Livorno, where the ship will be docked?

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duomo_di_Firenze

Santa_Maria_del_Fiore.jpg

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duomo_di_Pisa

800px-Duomo_di_Pisa%2C_facciata.JPG

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duomo_di_Lucca

250px-Duomo_di_Lucca.jpg

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duomo_di_Livorno

250px-Duomo_Livorno.JPG

Ofcourse I would love to if possible. Knowing how the churches are standing-room only here in the midwest, I can not imagine there is room to spare in a church in Italy in Easter Day. I may end up standing outside;)

We were on Oceania last Easter, a sea day, a non-denominational Christian service was arranged by 2 of the crew members for those interested. It was well attended. The cost and exclusiveness of providing a priest for a religious holiday would probably cause more problems than you might imagine for a small cruise line. Why not other clergy, etc., etc.? Personally, I would prefer to go to church on shore.

There is always a Friday night candle lighting on the O ships. Wine and challah are provided. Self hosted ceremony, but programs are provided.

Channukah ceremony is always noted in the daily program. Candles and wine and lotkes are also on hand.

Willie is a non-denominational minister.

For passover we had a seder, 1st night. Foods were traditional, mimeographed haggadahs.

Archived