Entertaining "The Grannies" in Cozumel

LilLeebird

Hi. We were in Cozumel on another cruise a couple of years ago. Can't for the life of us remember what was right at the port. This time we're taking "the grannies" with us. While we go on a more physical excursion, we're trying to determine what they will do. Can anyone tell me what the shopping is like right at the port? We're thinking maybe they could just walk off the ship and do a little shopping. Or do you have other suggestions for a couple of little old ladies in Cozumel? Appreciate any advice or info! Thanks!

There is typical tourist shopping right at the pier or nearby - booze, t-****s, sunglasses, ear rings, etc. Better yet load those grannies into a cab and take them to Nachi Cocom -- after a good lunch, a little sun, and a few margaritas they may turn into a lot of fun! :p

Okay, so the outcome was that we booked them a 4 hour Cozumel highlights and shopping tour through the cruise line. That way they are handled by the cruise line and not trying to hook up with an outside tour operator, etc. They are excited and I think will have a great time. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

That's a good plan. We have traveled with 80+ year olds frequently on cruises and of all the places we have been, the Mexico tour operators have always been the most respectful and helpful. But next time, you need to be a little more descriptive about what constitutes a granny. I was technically a "granny" at the age of 44:D

Speaking as a "granny" of 8 1/2 I had a great suggestion. I've been on the cozumel highlight & shopping. Not worth the $ in my opinion. They put you in a van drive fast as they can down the road & you look out the side windows. Thats your cozumel highlights. Then they stop for you to shop. Shopping is all along the pier or can take taxi to town & shop for $7. But they have an excursion called mexican cuisine cooking & tasting or one called salsa and salsa. Its a cooking class which includes drinks $ meal. Theres shopping. The salsa one has a salsa dance lesson afterwards. Both are at a hotel & they can use their pool or go to the beach there. I'm just wondering if anyone has been on either & can tell me which is better? I'm thinking about it or I was til I read this thread & my youngest son said "Mom you cant zipline you'll break a hip!!" Parasailing here I come.

Speaking as a "granny" of 8 1/2 I had a great suggestion. I've been on the cozumel highlight & shopping. Not worth the $ in my opinion. They put you in a van drive fast as they can down the road & you look out the side windows. Thats your cozumel highlights. Then they stop for you to shop. Shopping is all along the pier or can take taxi to town & shop for $7. But they have an excursion called mexican cuisine cooking & tasting or one called salsa and salsa. Its a cooking class which includes drinks $ meal. Theres shopping. The salsa one has a salsa dance lesson afterwards. Both are at a hotel & they can use their pool or go to the beach there. I'm just wondering if anyone has been on either & can tell me which is better? I'm thinking about it or I was til I read this thread & my youngest son said "Mom you cant zipline you'll break a hip!!" Parasailing here I come.

They actually considered the salsa and salsa tour. But one granny was afraid that her stomach couldn't handle it. LOL I hope the tour we booked turns out okay for them. Your review is scaring me, but I appreciate the feedback.

Okay, so the outcome was that we booked them a 4 hour Cozumel highlights and shopping tour through the cruise line. That way they are handled by the cruise line and not trying to hook up with an outside tour operator, etc. They are excited and I think will have a great time. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

I think that's a great option. It's no muss no fuss.

My DH & I did this excursion a couple of years ago and it was great. We are considering taking it again this year. It is a great way to see the Island, stopped at Discover Mexico museum--really cool, small town with a beautiful, old church and ended up downtown for a little shopping. If you were tired and didn't want to shop or stay off the bus long, you could board the bus and just visit..We really did enjoy it and I think my Mom would even enjoy something like this.. Enjoy your visit!!!

Food is not provided during this excursion but there are places to pick up snacks or even eat downtown when we stop. I'd just throw a couple snacks in my purse.

Thanks for the info. Passed along your feedback to one of the grannies this morning. She's very excited!

Archived